• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Exercise and depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't go to the gym. I either swim in the warmer months or walk 3+ miles a day. Sometimes I'll do both. I can't run anymore because of an accident that ripped up the back of my left thigh. I still try though :) but after about 50 feet, I'm limping all day, so I shouldn't do it. But I haven't been going out doing my walk because I've been depressed! Also I walk at the estuary and my sister told me not to do that because it's dangerous. But I don't think it is, but now that's in my head *sigh* It has to be a deliberate thought with me. I need a little motivation too, I've been really depressed and want to do absolutely nothing, so I'm enjoying the ideas here.

I took up swimming about 4 years ago after being terrified of water my whole life... I eventually ended up doing about 50 laps a day... in an outdoor Olympic pool.. The joy of California is I can't use cold weather as an excuse...

I understand about the pain thing... A few years ago I ripped a tendon in my ankle, and doctors kept telling me it was nothing... I couldn't walk more than about 15 feet without being in major pain... I lost the arch in my foot, and couldn't stand on one leg without falling...

I walked on it for a year before a doctor figured out what it was.. I was told that I'd have to wear a leg brace the rest of my life... When I couldn't deal with it any more, I ended up at a sports chiropractor... Best thing I ever did. It's not perfect, but I got the arch back in my foot and can even stand on one foot.

I have plantar fasciitis, so I end up limping a lot too... I'll be at the gym later today, and then my weekly visit with my chiropractor to stop the pain in my foot/ankle.

Maybe try walking on a treadmill? It's much softer than walking outside...

I don't go to the gym. I either swim in the warmer months or walk 3+ miles a day. Sometimes I'll do both. I can't run anymore because of an accident that ripped up the back of my left thigh. I still try though :) but after about 50 feet, I'm limping all day, so I shouldn't do it. But I haven't been going out doing my walk because I've been depressed! Also I walk at the estuary and my sister told me not to do that because it's dangerous. But I don't think it is, but now that's in my head *sigh* It has to be a deliberate thought with me. I need a little motivation too, I've been really depressed and want to do absolutely nothing, so I'm enjoying the ideas here.
I completely understand. I just blew yet another relationship (can’t manage to keep one intact). That plus memories flooding back keeps me up at night and very anxious.
The last time I went through this I actually got certified as a trainer, so I will gladly offer any advice that I can. Still, even when trained it gets difficult to stay on a good program. Focus suffers. I would not stop the walks or the swimming. Perhaps change the venue occasionally. A gym can seem a bit much when new but, once you learn your way around, it can become a bit of a haven. You can do cardio there which will not aggravate your injury. Depending on what the injury is, you might even be able to retrain your thigh using foam rolling and light resistance training.
I am happy to help in this area, though I cannot say that it solves everything

Hi @PTSDGuy :) haha, you must be in southern California. I'm in northern California. I totally agree with you as far as a sports doctor, no better doctor when it comes to injuries like these.
I'm so glad you found swimming, I love it! It makes me feel free! That too is why I go to the estuary to walk, because I feel free and part of nature. I use to go on the treadmill, but I hate the repetitiveness of it. I know, I'm high maintenance. But I like the open air, and you know, being in California I have to take advantage of it. :)

Hi @flynav ...unfortunately I have this "Thing." My perpetrator use to watch me. So, I can't and won't take the risk.
But, I love what you said...focus!
I've got to focus on the gold!

f*ck me, I hate depression.

The only way around it I’ve found is to rage up. Find my fight.

Even then, though, if I don’t have an immediate outlet? I’m pretty f*cked.

Guess it makes sense why I’ve had some kind of gymnasium in every house/apartment/home I’ve lived in for the past 15/20 years, huh? I’ve had different set ups in different places... but no matter what the set up? It was absolutely part of my living space. I didn’t have to get dressed, or go anywhere, or do any kind of interim step between impulse and action. Because whilst doing well-ish, or on autopilot, interim steps are doable. But when doing badly? They scuttle the entire thing. Nope. That’s not happening. :dead:

Autopilot is another thing, though, that works to help circumvent shit before it can kick off. Building outside exercise / rituals around it (PT rolls/ go bags by activity/ part of my job/ etc.) into my daily routine so that when I start doing badly? I don’t have to think about it. Just grab and go. Getting those routines reestablished after dropping them? Stone. Cold. Bitch.

Last edited:
Trying to fight the battle. I easily train when anxious, but I’m finding it very difficult to do it and keep doing it when I’m down and depressed. Anyone else struggle with this? Any motivation and habit building strategies welcomed!

25 Studies Confirm: Exercise Prevents Depression

Exercise is an all-natural treatment to fight depression - Harvard Health

Moderate Exercise Is Effective Medicine For Treating Major Depression, Suggests New Research
Eat a good meal with clean carbs (complex) & lots of protein. 30-60 minutes later take a pre-workout supplement if available or a cup of coffee if not. Think briefly about past traumas and/or people who have abused you or wronged you. Then focus on the fact that you have "REBUILD" your body after so many years of being torn down by others and/or by self medicating with toxic substances. The workout is going to help you live to keep fighting and you will feel substantial relief for several hours post workout.. Don't forget to replenish with more carbs and protein along with some antioxidants and plenty of fluids.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
Love C

This is a really difficult topic for me. I used to belong to a gym - went 2-3x a week for 3-4 months and saw no improvement at all. I pushed myself so hard to do that. I took dancing - tap (which I LOVE), NIA (which I also loved). I walked. A lot.

I can't figure out how to push through the pain I have and the lack of energy and severe depression. I actually DON'T believe exercise is a natural treatment that fights depression for everyone. It's a "should" and a "supposed to" and works for some, but not for everybody.

I really like this:

take a piece of paper and pen. Yep that was Day 1. Day 2 was to write the date. Day 3 was to add the dog’s name. Gradually I started to add ticks and abbreviations. Eventually I was having to stop myself writing excess notes. So then I added taking video. I stopped when T became too overwhelming but I will be using the same method to get started again.

I also think it's critical to find something you actually enjoy - hiking, dancing, martial arts (I have started doing a little qi gong, which is more stretching than anything else), walking your (or somebody else's) dog. Right now, the only thing I really do is a lot of stretching when I clean around the house. Better than nothing, I guess, and an incentive to actually make the place more presentable.

Hi @PTSDGuy :) haha, you must be in southern California. I'm in northern California. I totally agree with you as far as a sports doctor, no better doctor when it comes to injuries like these.
I'm so glad you found swimming, I love it! It makes me feel free! That too is why I go to the estuary to walk, because I feel free and part of nature. I use to go on the treadmill, but I hate the repetitiveness of it. I know, I'm high maintenance. But I like the open air, and you know, being in California I have to take advantage of it. :)

What's even more funny is that I used to live in the Bay Area, and when you said estuary, I pretty much figured you might be there

Yeah, the treadmill is pretty boring.... I just put on earphones and play whatever kind of music I'm in the mood for... and being at the gym, just watching people go by to kill an hour...

Yes, the bay area :)
No, still don't like the treadmill, even with music. It makes me hate the music...hahaha

I always think I'm in love with a song until I hear it when I'm stuck in Southern California traffic... Suddenly it's just annoying and I hate it.... Then I hear it on the treadmill later and it's suddenly the best song ever again...

You need to do what works for you... I used to live near an estuary in the East Bay, so I understand the attraction of walking there.... (Although, it's pretty cold up there, I'm not sure I could handle it any more!) ?

Yes, east bay, I live near the estuary.
It's the fog and the dampness, like you're wet and cold and can't get dry. I get it, but I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back