• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Exercise and depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think it's critical to find something you actually enjoy -
^^This is absolutely correct. Doing exercise you hate isn't going to be sustainable and there is something about regular exercise that helps lift depression. But idk what it is.

Also I have a bike on a training frame in my lounge room. I peddle for an hour or so regularly and get lost in Netflix. It's not going to be doing me any harm...

I walk about 8 km's a day as early in the day as I can. By the time I get home I need that shower and I feel better. Frequently I start off the walk feeling quite dark and despairing with depression and anxiety. Once I get into my stride I start to feel my breathing coming regularly and I start to sweat... something happens I'm not sure what.. by the time I return it's rare for me to feel as bad as when I started.

I cannot wait till I get my SD so he can come along with me. :)

There is an app for measuring distance, steps, calories burned, time taken & history of each days achievements and cumulative data too, bmi and other goals you can manually set. It bugs you to buy the paid version but there isn't any need.

There are several free apps like this one and I think they are quite motivating really.

I've struggled with motivation during stronger bouts of depression, myself. In the last few months, I think I have gotten myself figured out, though. For me, I think key ingredient #1 is music. I do a fair amount of dancing and exercises that I can do to a beat, so finding the right music was huge. Now, I didn't like Run DMC when I was a kid and they were popular, but I do now, at least for exercising. I'm adding to my playlist all the time, and have found that it's either the "get up and dance" or "fight" music that gets me the most motivated. Typically, even if I don't want to exercise, if I start the playlist, I will start moving.
I also have zero attention span, so I rarely dwell on anything for very long. What I do instead is do one exercise for 30-60 seconds or so and then change. I'll usually come back to the first one later. I found that spending too long on any one movement just ended up making me feel bored and like I was getting ready for drudgery when it was time to get going. The dreadful feeling of impending intense, long work would often cause me to have second thoughts about my workout. Hopping back and forth from squats to windmills while pumping up the jam is a thought that is a lot more energizing for me. It's like I'm going to a party instead of physical therapy.
There are some specific exercises that I really have to do because of some joint problems. Of course, again, these are boring, so I try to position them in between dance party moves, so I feel like I am getting a Scooby Snack afterwards.
When all else fails, and not even Bust a Move is getting a reaction, mild stretching often seems to kick my body into "active" mode. I don't know the science but I do know that when my muscles start engaging, a lot of times they seem to want to keep going. I find that a little stretching is a lot less offensive idea than some of my more involved non-routine routines, being gentler and less energetic. Nevertheless, those stretches can be a good starting line.
These days, it seems like I have very little trouble getting my exercise going, but it's basically fun for me and that really, really helps. Ultimately, exercising has improved my depression by a tremendous amount, but only if I get and keep my heart rate up for a while. I could walk all day long and battle with depression all evening. I'd say that in the last nine months of really consistent, regular heart-pumping exercise (one hour for four days a week and a half-hour for three), my bouts of severe depression have probably diminished by about 80%. I've gained a lot of muscle, too, and that makes me feel more like a badass, which helps my anxiety. I hope you find a solution that works for you. I think consistent exercise has been one of the best things on the planet for me, but I have hypermobility syndrome, too, and it has vastly improved that situation, as well.

^^This is absolutely correct. Doing exercise you hate isn't going to be sustainable and there is something about regular exercise that helps lift depression. But idk what it is.

Also I have a bike on a training frame in my lounge room. I peddle for an hour or so regularly and get lost in Netflix. It's not going to be doing me any harm...

I walk about 8 km's a day as early in the day as I can. By the time I get home I need that shower and I feel better. Frequently I start off the walk feeling quite dark and despairing with depression and anxiety. Once I get into my stride I start to feel my breathing coming regularly and I start to sweat... something happens I'm not sure what.. by the time I return it's rare for me to feel as bad as when I started.

I cannot wait till I get my SD so he can come along with me. :)

There is an app for measuring distance, steps, calories burned, time taken & history of each days achievements and cumulative data too, bmi and other goals you can manually set. It bugs you to buy the paid version but there isn't any need.

There are several free apps like this one and I think they are quite motivating really.

Walking has never helped my mood much, but I think you just helped me figure out why. I cannot walk very fast or aggressively because I live in a little town with messed up streets and have hypermobile joints. If I walked hard enough to elevate my mood, I'd probably damage my ankles. Thanks for helping me realize that. Maybe if I ever move, I can try walking for fitness/mood again.

LMAO... I do the same thing with an elliptical.

Is it as effective as the exercise I’m actually completely focused on every aspect of my body coming together and executing? Pfft. Of course not. Endurance, however? OMFG. Through the roof. And, “as effective” (for anything less than full on athletic training) is splitting hairs. It’s effective as f*ck for weight loss / management / overall fitness. Just not “as” effective.

Been so much trial and error and a lot of greif to was doing lots of different yoga classes and pilates settled on pilates but needed to find something which got my blood going a bit went to Jujitsu as I find martial arts exciting and enjoyable enjoyed it to a point but my physical condition could not hack the gymnastic element. An important thing to take in to account is were your at physically. Not all traumatised body's are the same and have different needs. Some people may have already been in a strong physical condition at the time of there trauma some not so. In my own case I have the body of a survivor of childhood neglect in my own case I found swimming to much for my body to. My body likes simplicity. To be challenged without being overwhelmed. Excited I have just discovered begginers kickboxing. Not as complex as Jujitsu. Lot of the excercise are quite basic and martial art is what I really wanted to do. Noticed the benifets immediately. Getting out of bed a little earlier and easier now

This has been a super helpful thread.

I’m now walking/hiking some days. Been on a bike a few times. Starting to try to get into strength training again so I can do more.

I started a chart to note how I feel before and how I feel after. It’s always better, and I hope that doing this chart will reinforce that with my brain. Trying anything to trick myself to be more motivated... The slog through the depression to get started is the worst. Only once did I want to stop mid-way through.

what if you don't care about any of that?
For some, those apps can be like playing a game. The apps are reinforcement to the brain. I didn’t care. Now I check them because it’s feedback somehow... kinda funny how it happens. The apps are designed this way. I find I’m naturally motivated to walk further when I check the app.
If I walked hard enough to elevate my mood, I'd probably damage my ankles.
Have you ever thought about getting any physical therapy for this? Exercise is actually a great thing for hypermobile joints and can help mitigate and reduce problems from hypermobilty. I have very hypermobile joints to the degree, I have been cast for complex braces on my feet and legs since I could walk. With regular excercise, as trained by my PT, I can stay out of the bracing most of the time (sometimes need it for just the excercise) and even do triathlons. 2 months with little excercise and everything is popping and a mess with my joints. My leg just gave way the other day and then I dislocated my knee the next day. (Argh, I should have never stopped exercising!) I understand a little of how walking can be a challenge. But because of working with PT in the past, I know how to exercise to get stronger again without damaging things, and in a way that will protect against damage down the road and reduce the physical pain.

I’m actually frustrated that I stopped because my hypermobilty always gets worse when I slow down. Stopping has been a mess.

Yep, it has been very helpful @bellbird inspired me to start couch to 5k. I dont use any app just a sports watch.
I have done two runs so far..and they werent as bad as my head predicted beforehand. I feel somehow like Im not doing it alone. I dont enjoy it, well havent so far. But I do feel accomplishment after and a little better. Trying not to over analyse and think about rest of program.
I used to get alot more out of running, when I could listen to music, so I had to majorly downgrade my expectations. Maybe this is alot of the key?
Had alot of fear about increase in hip pain on starting and have now even *considered* yoga mat and stretching ..
I think its great if we can get "out there"
: D

This has been a super helpful thread.

I’m now walking/hiking some days. Been on a bike a few times. Starting to try to get into strength training again so I can do more.

I started a chart to note how I feel before and how I feel after. It’s always better, and I hope that doing this chart will reinforce that with my brain. Trying anything to trick myself to be more motivated... The slog through the depression to get started is the worst. Only once did I want to stop mid-way through.

For some, those apps can be like playing a game. The apps are reinforcement to the brain. I didn’t care. Now I check them because it’s feedback somehow... kinda funny how it happens. The apps are designed this way. I find I’m naturally motivated to walk further when I check the app.

Have you ever thought about getting any physical therapy for this? Exercise is actually a great thing for hypermobile joints and can help mitigate and reduce problems from hypermobilty. I have very hypermobile joints to the degree, I have been cast for complex braces on my feet and legs since I could walk. With regular excercise, as trained by my PT, I can stay out of the bracing most of the time (sometimes need it for just the excercise) and even do triathlons. 2 months with little excercise and everything is popping and a mess with my joints. My leg just gave way the other day and then I dislocated my knee the next day. (Argh, I should have never stopped exercising!) I understand a little of how walking can be a challenge. But because of working with PT in the past, I know how to exercise to get stronger again without damaging things, and in a way that will protect against damage down the road and reduce the physical pain.

I’m actually frustrated that I stopped because my hypermobilty always gets worse when I slow down. Stopping has been a mess.

Thanks for asking! I was seeing a PT for a while, primarily to deal with tendonitis in my hip and shoulder, which were caused by the hypermobility syndrome. We were beginning to deal with the bigger picture when he went to prison--long story. Unfortunately, we haven't had a PT nearby since and that was like 3 years ago. Nevertheless, through a lot of research, I think I have a pretty good exercise routine going for myself. I have not had a new injury of any consequence in a couple of years and my pain level is way down. I may be able to get out there and walk again, but I'm trying to build up to it, since my left IT bad and hip went wild out there last summer. My goal is to be back hiking by mid-summer (I was a regular, but had to quit a few years back because of hip and ankle issues). I figured I'd start by walking around here in spring. I haven't lost any weight (and am not overweight), but lost 4" inches in my hips in the last four months, so I'm definitely gaining muscle, which I really needed. I cannot believe how much better I feel. I've been trying to keep active for the last couple of years, but it's really only been the last nine months that I've been super-serious.

When I was born, my hips were pulled out of the sockets and my grandmother started taking me to the chiropractor before I could walk. I walked late and threw my feet out, but never got braces, though I was threatened with them. I still remember standing in the hall at like 9 trying to force my feet to stay forward, so they wouldn't make me wear leg braces. I've got a cleft lip; I was tortured enough.

I consider it essential for me to keep active now, and I imagine with you needing braces, that's even more true for you. I hope you can get back to it, ASAP. I know you know, but you will feel so much better!

But what if you don't care about any of that?

If you don't care about any of that - then that is fine too. Each to their own. I use it for interest sake alone. I'm not setting out to conquor the world or set any records - it's purely self-interest that it serves.

Maybe for most (although I'd argue that), but not for everybody.

You may be the exception and if so I am sorry for you. I didn't say everybody and I did say idk why it happens even for myself but it is a happy circumstance to be in...that exercise will lift my depression and anxiety most days. I'm not trying to be athletic here..those days are long gone. I am doing purely for myself. Nobody else even knows I do it...except here.

I cannot walk very fast or aggressively because I live in a little town with messed up streets and have hypermobile joints. If I walked hard enough to elevate my mood,

I don't walk fast. Parts of my walk are over rough ground and I have to stop frequently for crossing roads, patting dogs and giving way to the real athletes who fly past me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back