• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Feel like friends don't understand me post-diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DeerStrong

It's been hard to connect to people in the 2 years since my trauma and subsequent PTSD diagnosis. I don't feel like the same person anymore. I've experienced things that changed my essence, and it's so hard to explain to my friends who knew me before. They want to be there for me, but they just don't understand what it's like to experience regular panic attacks, chronic pain, hypervigilence, and all the other symptoms that have been associated with my PTSD diagnosis. It's hard to watch them all thrive and continue on their path while mine took a sharp turn in a different direction. It's a very isolating, lonely experience. Just looking to connect with others who might be feeling similarly.

Hello Deerstrong, happy you found us. Indeed you'll find people who feel the same here. Your friends might never entirely get how your world and experience became different, but be ensured you are the same person. The same person with different knowledge and being symptomatic of something you have no control on. It's okay to be different and not to be entirely understood, albeit isolating. Gradually you can find better ways to cope and to ground yourself in things that made sense for you. And they'll follow you or not. It takes time.

Welcome to the forum and see you around!

I’m not so sure that you are the same person as @ruborcoraxxx said, but it is isolated and many of us become reclusive. They told me I’d experience “recovery” but I’d say that’s not true mostly. The panic attacks and other symptoms, or just being floored by things other people shrug off as normal, makes being social difficult or impossible for me at least. I’ve found getting better means getting rid of the things that trigger me. I thought it was going to be getting over the triggers, oh well. I’m not suicidally depressed which is always my fall back. I also recommend not drinking, which in and of itself is enough to ruin most people’s social life. There is a ton of resource here and journaling helps so much. I hope you feel better !

I've had CPTSD probably most of my life and regular PTSD since age 3 but was just diagnosed correctly a few years ago. Any type of PTSD diagnosis is very isolating. Im sorry it happened to you too. I hope you can find support here.

Welcome. Your real life friends may not understand, but we do.Glad you found a place that no matter what you say we will get it. Glad you are here. It does get better.

Glad to hear that you found this group so you have a place to talk to people who know what it's like. I have only met one person in my real life who had PTSD from Afganistan Marine experiences. Mine is CPTSD. He and I dated for two years. We both struggled with binge drinking, so it was a doomed relationship. But it was interesting to know him.

I know it's been damaging for me to try to explain my pains or feelings to my family and friends, its so sad. They shake their head, and they make me feel like I am lying... Sometimes deny that what I feel is real. It makes me isolate more than normal people do.

Other days I feel fine, and happy.

I hope to hear how you navigate this challenge socially. I suck at it, LOL. : )

It's been hard to connect to people in the 2 years since my trauma and subsequent PTSD diagnosis. I don't feel like the same person anymore. I've experienced things that changed my essence, and it's so hard to explain to my friends who knew me before. They want to be there for me, but they just don't understand what it's like to experience regular panic attacks, chronic pain, hypervigilence, and all the other symptoms that have been associated with my PTSD diagnosis. It's hard to watch them all thrive and continue on their path while mine took a sharp turn in a different direction. It's a very isolating, lonely experience. Just looking to connect with others who might be feeling similarly.
Wow this hits me hard because I know what you are going through because I have been experiencing the same thing for 23 years and it's hard on the soul my friend. And I couldn't have worded that better. To be honest I really don't have friends and I don't recommend them either but I also don't recommend not having friends if you can have friends. And like if you can have friends and you do have some friends then you need to be remembering what you said about them not knowing or understanding anything about what you are feeling or thinking and keep your friends if you can or at least the ones that understand. My best advise is to join a gym and like just go at least 3 times a week by yourself and don't let it hurt your feelings if or when you don't have a workout buddy. And drink plenty of water and eat healthy food choices.

Hello Deerstrong,
So sorry you are feeling so isolated. I understand feeling changed. My therapist is trying to help me with being very depressed and (mourning) what I've lost physically and mentally. I tell her that I hate the person I am now. Many people more years into treatment than I have say it gets easier with time. I hope your true friends will embrace you for what you are now and that you find new people to connect with. People on this site can be very helpful.

Hi Deerstrong
Sorry to hear, and I totally understand.
I don’t think we are really different people, but it’s no longer easy to fit in or be understood by the general crowd because we’ve experienced things/feel things that aren’t common.
A lot of my grief has been around feeling isolated, shunned socially for being different, loss of old easy relationships.
I’ve known I’ve got ptsd for around ten years, but pretty sure I had it before then and I remember when this feeling of being different began, when I no longer felt I could be open with anyone.
Sometimes I think those others are kind of asleep. They just don’t wNt to know about experiences and emotions outside the norm.
Sometimes I wish I was still asleep too!
Mostly just trying to integrate my experiences into a meaningful life, however that looks.
Anyway, just saying hi and to say you’re really not alone ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back