• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Gabapentin/Neurontin Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes @EveHarrington it's still working very well for me. I recently increased the dose but I'm finding it really effective. Hope it works for you.

My doc says I need to go med free for awhile to wash out the old meds.

I asked him about neurontin and he said he would prescribe it for anxiety but not mood stabilization.

I'm just taking the GABA supplement for now with good results.

Yes @EveHarrington it's still working very well for me. I recently increased the dose but I'm finding it really effective. Hope it works for you.
I take both for a bad neck but psychiatrist took over the gab. I've been on them for 2 years ( neck doctor) I'm glad it was a good combo for u as well.

Should mention that I really like both of these.

Gabapentin for me reduces anxiety and my explosiveness. It's a bit like smoking a joint. It takes me down a couple notches and makes this shit manageable. I was recommending it to someone in group today. I've been on very high levels of Xanax, clonazepam..etc that turned me into a walking zombie. I don't have that trouble with gabapentin. I take it three times a day and it's really a lifesaver to me. Glad others are having success with it. Hope it works for you Eve.

Gabapentin for me reduces anxiety and my explosiveness. It's a bit like smoking a joint. It takes me down a couple notches and makes this shit manageable. I was recommending it to someone in group today. I've been on very high levels of Xanax, clonazepam..etc that turned me into a walking zombie. I don't have that trouble with gabapentin. I take it three times a day and it's really a lifesaver to me. Glad others are having success with it. Hope it works for you Eve.

Today was a horrible day. I woke up to a call from my dad's wife being nasty to me which set my anxiety off for the day. (It's a bad situation.) My anxiety nausea was the worst it's ever been and my mood has been horrible. I just started the gabapentin (300mg) and I feel so much better. I thought this was odd so I googled "gabapentin prn" and lo and behold people do take it this way for anxiety relief. I'm not doing that, rather I wanted to see if it had immediate effects. I feel so chill! I REALLY hope this works for me.

I've had my bottle of gabapentin for a week now, just was VERY hesitant to start something new. I know meds help me, and while I loved Trileptal, the adjustment period was HELL for months until my body adjusted. Maybe this adjustment period won't be so bad as it's a similar medication in the same class. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for all of your feedback/advice!

Any time @EveHarrington , so exciting you found encouraging results. I'm sure happy to share whatever I can with you. It was really exciting for me too when I discovered how well this stuff works. like you said it just makes you chill at the right dose.

Any time @EveHarrington , so exciting you found encouraging results. I'm sure happy to share whatever I can with you. It was really exciting for me too when I discovered how well this stuff works. like you said it just makes you chill at the right dose.

Do you notice any weight gain?

Google says that it causes weight gain in 3-4% of people but there are a lot of people who complain about weight gain on this med. I'm going to make sure I watch what I eat.

My doc has been recommending depakote but I hear bad things about that one, including significant weight gain (60-100 lbs in 4-6 months?!?!) I really don't want to gain weight!

I have been really stable on gabapentin Eve, haven't gained anything. I have been using it for 6-7 months now. It is only recently that I increased my dose because of trauma-based IOP. I was having more difficulty holding it together because of the nature of that program. Now that I'm out I'm considering reducing the dosage with concent and at the direction of my psychiatrist. I do feel better with the medication so I don't want to pull the rug out from under myself right when it's working best. Maybe I'll give myself a break and revisit the dosage question in a month.

but I doubt you would have any trouble with weight Eve...and if the medication works well for you a slight increase may be a decent trade?

Gabapentin...

Never again for me. I was on the max prescribable dosage. I'm not the best at taking my meds on schedule. I used to often forget for a day or more, I'm better now. Back when I was on Gabapentin it was not unusual to forget to take it for 3 days. NEVER more than 3 days because on the 3rd night it felt like I was being shocked with an electric cattle prod in my lower back with the electricity shooting down my legs. It was agonizing. It would happen ever 5 to 15 min until I took my Gab again. Then I still had to wait an hour or more for the med to be absorbed before the cattle prod would stop. I know I am the 1% and most people won't go through this. I'm just posting so you know to take it regularly, not necessarily to avoid my symptoms, but to avoid any of your own. Gabapentin can be a monster or a bunny depending on your body. We are all different.

I'm on Lyrica now a Gaba medicine. I don't have any problems with it if I forget a dose or three which is very uncommon now days.

I have been really stable on gabapentin Eve, haven't gained anything. I have been using it for 6-7 months now. It is only recently that I increased my dose because of trauma-based IOP. I was having more difficulty holding it together because of the nature of that program. Now that I'm out I'm considering reducing the dosage with concent and at the direction of my psychiatrist. I do feel better with the medication so I don't want to pull the rug out from under myself right when it's working best. Maybe I'll give myself a break and revisit the dosage question in a month.

but I doubt you would have any trouble with weight Eve...and if the medication works well for you a slight increase may be a decent trade?

I'm already overweight so I don't want to gain any more. Unfortunately/fortunately this med (I THINK) is leaving a bad taste in my mouth which means I eat less. I couldn't find it as a side effect anywhere, but it just started with the med and I can't attribute it to anything else.

It's still working well so far. I hope this continues!

I am on 300mg 3x a day. What dose were you on before? What dose are you on now?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Eva.. It's normal to be prescribed 300 x 3 times a day. I think I lost weight at first but then you get your appetite back. I have not gained additional weight but I weigh what I used to before taking it. I surely don't know about anyone else but that's just me.

Eva.. It's normal to be prescribed 300 x 3 times a day. I think I lost weight at first but then you get your appetite back. I have not gained additional weight but I weigh what I used to before taking it. I surely don't know about anyone else but that's just me.

Ok, thanks!

I pretty much always have bad side effects as the dose goes up on a medication so I’m hoping I can get benefit at this dose without increasing it.

Sorry I missed your question here Eve. Are you still feeling well on that dose?

I started with 600mg 3x daily but have played around a bit with dose and the times I take the med. I increased to 900mg 3x daily for some time but didn't like how it made me feel mentally.

Right now I have increased the frequency and lessened the dose. I'm taking 600mg 4x daily (2400mg out of a max daily of 3600?). I am really pleased with this schedule. It covers my entire day, allows for some flexibility and manages my anxiety/anger. If during the day I need more help I can add more. Or If I know I'm doing something that will be triggering I can get ahead of things and take more before going.

edit: I have not gained weight on the med but it's sedating so that can interrupt my motivation level and effect my weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back