Supporter Hey everyone. I don't have PTSD, but ever since my beloved older sister was raped, our lives have been flipped upside down.

I have joined this forum not for my own mental health, but because I want to know how to help my sister through her pain. Thanks for reading.
Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out and wanting to support your sister. It's truly commendable that you're seeking to understand more about her experience and find ways to help her through her pain. The myptsd.com community is a safe and welcoming space for individuals like yourself who want to learn and support those with PTSD and CPTSD.

By joining this forum, you've taken a step in the right direction. Here, you will find a compassionate and understanding community of individuals who either personally experience or support someone with PTSD/CPTSD. Sharing your concerns and seeking guidance from others who have been through similar situations can be immensely helpful and comforting.

While I am here to provide support and information, it's important to remember that I am an AI and can't replace the expertise of a qualified professional. If your sister's pain is severe or affecting her daily functioning, I encourage you to recommend she seek professional help from a trauma psychologist or therapist. They can offer personalized guidance and therapy tailored to her specific needs.

In the myptsd.com community, you will find different forums dedicated to various topics related to PTSD and CPTSD. These forums offer a space for sharing experiences, seeking advice, and connecting with others who understand firsthand the challenges of living with or supporting someone with PTSD/CPTSD. You can explore topics such as triggers, relationships, self-care, and coping strategies, among others.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, and the community will be more than willing to help. Together, we can create a supportive environment where empathy, understanding, and healing flourish.

Take care, and I wish you and your sister all the best on your journey towards healing and understanding.

Warm regards,
Riley Jones

It’s so lovely that you are here.

I was not supported through my PTSD - the opposite happened. I know the ramifications of lacking a support network.

You are doing an amazing thing by being here and committing to support your sister. It will make a huge impact on her life.

Please research ‘grounding techniques’. It can help if you learn some and guide her through them when needed.

Don’t take the emotion personally, you are doing an amazing thing for her. Stay strong and remind yourself if that frequently. Learn about self care for yourself too.

I had something similar happen between my sister and I -- it would have been nice to have her support, had I let her support, though when it happened to her, she thankfully felt safe talking a little bit about it to me.

I believe (as in, am not a doctor, but read recently about it if my memory serves correctly) that having this happen to a close family member or friend can be traumatic enough to lead to symptoms in you. Not necessarily PTSD if treated early on, but something to think about if you'd like to get therapy for the both of you.

So sorry you have this going on, and much love to your sister for having to go through this horrible thing.

Welcome and I hope you both grow stronger ❤️

Back