• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Hunger Scale

OceanSpray

MyPTSD Pro
The wisdom is to start eating when you’re about a 3 and stop when you get to a 6 or 7.

But as someone very out of touch with my hunger and fullness cues, can anyone shed light on their personal scale? What does 3 mean to you? 6?

If I only ate when I was hungry? I’d only eat once every 7-10 days. I don’t eat when I’m hungry, I eat to protect/strengthen my body & mind, and as a sensory thing.

Hunger scales work for some people. Not for others.

For me? It’s a 0-10 on/off kind of thing. I don’t get hungry until I’m literally starving, and have been, for a little while. And then? If I DONT eat, my hunger shuts off, yet again.

I try to eat on a schedule—loosely. Not based on hunger. I learned to eat about every 3 hours a day with portion control in order to avoid a restrictive-binge cycle. In reality I eat about every 4-5 hours, usually 2-3 meals a day and 1-2 snacks. A daily meal plan made every week provides a reference for what food I’ve purchased and planned to eat. I don’t follow it exactly but I look to it every day.

I know that 3 is before I'm hangry but after being a little hungry. So, hungry, but not pissed off and wanting to eat all the things.

6 would be hunger pangs have gone, and before I want to stop eating probably. But I'm very likely to have the opposite problem to you re hunger cues.

Definitely not what I thought this thread might be about. Nor did I realize I was not alone in the ‘hunger, what’s that?’ group.

I get honestly hungry about 4-6 times a year. Been that way since elementary school. Things will smell/sound/look good, but there is no desire to actually eat. I eat when other people eat and try to keep it as healthy as I can, or what my family refers to as force feeding. (I utterly despise being asked things like ‘what are you in the mood for‘… I don’t fully understand what that means). Also when it is obvious I have forgotten for a few days because I get the shakes out of the blue. I keep different types of meats and cheeses for these times. I then usually eat until whatever I am eating loses any appeal, usually averages to 6-8 deli sliced pieces of salami and a couple slices of cheese.

When I actually feel hungry? I take full advantage and stuff myself silly. Which in other people’s perspective is still not much but to me is a feast. I know that doesn’t help with the numbering aspect but I am not sure how to assign them 🙂

The wisdom is to start eating when you’re about a 3 and stop when you get to a 6 or 7.
Is there any chance you could ask the person who suggested this what they mean? Getting insight from someone with a normally functioning endocrine system would be really helpful!!

What does 3 feel like in the body? Does my tummy rumble or something? What does 6 feel like? That’s roughly where I started when I was learning emotions - maybe it could be applied to hunger as well?

Because if I can learn to feel hunger, then presumably I can also learn to feel satiated, which I’m reeeeally interested in. Because apparently that feels great, and is a reason to love eating, which rates really highly for a lot of people. They love dining out - because it feels good to eat good food. That must be awesome!

Super curious about where this thread goes🧐

I think my body sees hunger cues as a trauma trigger, so has switched them off all together. Never hungry (to the point serious malnutrition) so I wouldn't even know where to begin with a hunger scale. To complicate it I have physical disability which means when I do eat it causes pain and awful symptoms... probably reinforcing my brain not to want food even more.

I use the prescribed ensure type drink things, and set reminders on my phone. Not fool proof, especially when discociative amnesia comes to play, but a sort of system

Is there any chance you could ask the person who suggested this what they mean?

Maybe. I came across it from this guy.

He doesn’t explain what the cues actually are. I had started working with a dietician years ago and we kinda went over that stuff but I just don’t have the same awareness of my body that other people do. I’m basically just ravenous all the time. I always feel hungry, until I feel sick, and even then I’m still hungry and still often eating while being so full I’m sick. Which I know is wrong but in the moment. . . I don’t care.

I don't know if this is helpful or not... I eat a "keto" diet... amongst other things because it really stops the "carb cravings". You don't even have to cut carbs as radically as in a keto diet... Just cutting them wayyyy, waaaayyyy down really helps to stop the "carb hunger" and to get back to healthier hunger signals. (Another reason I'm doing it is because I ended up in insulin resistance, which is the pre-cursor stage to developing Diabetes Type 2, also from eating too many carbs.)

I think my hunger scale is probably a little bit different as I need to use food as endurance fuel. So I have ‘fuelling strategies’ 🤣

Even if I’m not hungry I always eat breakfast. Just because. And then lunch/dinner can be flexible depending on how many calories I shall be needing for the afternoon/evening. I am terrible for recognising hunger so I tend to stick to a schedule & then use carb packs or drinks when I start feeling fatigue and need to top up.
I think the hunger scale is going to be subjective on what exactly you are eating as well! I like tasty food very much so I can often be tempted into eating a little more of a very nice meal!

Back