• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I Take My Medication At The Same Time Each Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been on psychiatric medications since 2000.

And over the years, I've always done the best I can to take my medications at the same times each day.

Since 2011, the only psychiatric medication I've been on is a drug called Clozaril.

Everyday, I take my Clozaril practically always at the same times. I take it in the morning at 8 am, and again at 8 pm.

I take it at the same times each day in order to be safe.

If I were to take my pills at very different times each day, like 6 am one morning, then 9 pm that night, then 10:30 am the next morning, then 5 pm that night (you get the idea), would it decrease the effectiveness that this drug gives me?

I don't know.

However, I like to keep it simple and safe by taking my Clozaril at the same time each morning and each night.

I don't know really. Some people don't take medication. I know that I take my medication within two hours of each other sometimes and I can't really notice any difference. Now, I just take them in the morning.

If I were to take my pills at very different times each day, like 6 am one morning, then 9 pm that night, then 10:30 am the next morning, then 5 pm that night (you get the idea), would it decrease the effectiveness that this drug gives me?
No, it shouldn't. You would actually have to lower your dosage for at least 24 hours before you'd begin to notice a loss of efficacy. Inconsistent timing wouldn't change anything. It's very good for the daily habit to be consistent, though, as you are doing - it makes it infinitely more likely that you will not miss a dose.

You should be having fairly regular bloodwork done, though, to monitor your ANC levels. Is that something you're doing?

Yes, Joey Little, I have bloodwork done once per month at a nearby community health center because I'm on Clozaril.

Also, I had a nurse tell me that it's a good idea to pretty much take my medication at the same times each day.

Some pills have an elevating effect (they give you more energy), some have a sedative effect (making you sleepy).

I can't speak for elsewhere, but here in Australia, doctors are required to specify the time of day a medication should be taken on the prescription where that is important to the drug efficacy or patient health/safety/well-being, as well as whether the medication should be taken before/after/with food if that is relevant to particular medication.

Some medications (like some OCPs) it is important to take the medication at roughly the same time each day.

One of the great things about having a specific pharmacist that I use for all my scripts, is that I can always have a very informed conversation with them about these sorts of things with my meds and any issues that might come up. A good pharmacist is worth their weight in gold!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back