• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Is It Possible To Overcome Ptsd Without Meds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Brat,

I don't think I'm healed... although I'm a lot better than I was a few years ago ie when I was completely isolated (sometimes went two weeks without speaking to anyone), severe dissasociation, nightmares, flashbacks so real I struggled to differentiate between flashbacks and reality, pretty much completely unable to socially function, unemployed, panic attacks, physical symptoms, raging anger/huge mood swings, and so on.

These are some of the things I did:

I changed my diet: only whole foods, no junk food except rarely, no gluten, dairy for over two years (I now eat both and I don't know if it helped but it gave me a way focus on physical/nutitional health and I figured I needed all the physical/nutritional health possible to support mental health), I ate cold-water fish at least twice a week (to fight depression with omega 3), ate multiple small meals, no caffeine except green and black tea (tea reduces cortisol / stress hormone levels so is good for you)
I began practising yoga every day: by myself
I listened to ptsd healing imagery by bella naperstak (?)
I stopped associated with any one who didn't support or believe in me ( ie in my case family that denied the abuse etc is not healthy for me to be around. i decided I wasn't going to sacrifice my mental health and recovery for anyone else. this was very hard to do for me.)
For a while I took dance classes (tango) - it really helped me a lot and gave me a place I could express myself and be intimate in a way without really having to talk. at that time that was the only social thing I did although eventually I couldn't cope with the social situation and dropped it when people started wanting to get to know me.... I couldn't cope with socializing (and even now I'm working to rebuild a real social life) but I found I was good at dancing and that was good for me.
I drew and painted...
I kept a journal...
I took a lot of walks...(often while listening to imagery)
I took baths with healing salts, candles or hot/cold showers (alternating between hot 2 min and cold 20 sec --really helped for me with disassociation), etc. ie self-soothing care also regular bedtime to help with sleep schedule as sleeping was problematic for a long time.
I learned about acupressure points to relieve stress
I studied (read a book) on healing through touch... and worked on self touch (couldn't afford regular massages, didn't have a SO)
I read everything I could on ptsd.
I kept lists of things to do when my symptoms were almost intolerable (sometimes they were and would have huge flushes of stress hormones that would take days to wash out and calm down)

I also just gave myself about two years to focus on healing.
After a period of unemployement, I worked a little part-time.
And I decided to just use what I had to give myself self time and to focus on healing.
That helped a lot. So I lived very cheaply (under poverty level) but I focused on healing.

Now I work full-time + graduate school and it's a struggle again because of stress levels.
But at least I'm functional now- I wasn't functional (able to hold a job) for several years.
I do sometimes take melatonin now to help with sleep. But that's it.

Wow. I feel like I have not progressed in two years. I know I have, but I think I need to keep better track. I avoid a lot of what you did-I did them in my prior life, but not now. Thank you so much for sharing.

You don't have to be on meds forever.
I was on a high dose of antideppressant for the first 6 years of my PTSD, and with psycotherapy I improved enough to get off the antideppessants. I now function well enough to raise a toddler pretty ok (he's not a big trigger for me) as well as taking care of myself, and my house is reasonably clean and I haven't taken antideppressants for 5 years now.
I didnt' just have mild PTSD either. I was severe enough, my throat was continually red from all the hyperventilating from 24 hour long panic attacks and my muscles in my diaphram hurt, I was agoraphobic and couldn't go to my mailbox. And I also spent twice as time on the computer or bed then as I do now. And I got up at 10.00am in the morning because I would be too terrified to get out. I got up at 6.30am this morning.
But if you do have to be on med's it is better as at least you get part of you back through being calmed down.

Mr Plesman,

Would appreciate you reviewing my posting to you in another thread.

[DLMURL]https://www.ptsdforum.org/c/threads/ptsd-and-its-relevance-to-hypoglycemia.9884/#post-282464[/DLMURL]

The first step in the treatment of PTSD is seeking help from an expert - qualified psychiatrist and psychologist.

Mr Plesman has been booted out of the forum for self promotion by the moderators. Please also review the thread above if you are considering Mr Plesmans comments. Mr Plesman's ideas have been reviewed by Anthony and discussed by members.

Yes it is possible to learn to live with it. I kind of figuered life is what you make it. Why let those monsters who damaged you win? See them as the enemy. Don't let them grind you down and fight fight fight!

The problem with this theory, is my PTSD is complex, and really no one is to blame but maybe myself. I am going to school and pursuing my passions, but day to day life has just become so pathetic and sad. My thoughts overwhelm me. My anger consumes me, and my frustration de-motivates me. PTSD has changed me forever. Some ways good, some ways bad. :/

Thank you all so much for responding to my post. I have read every single one of your reply's and have a broader range of opinions about medication regarding PTSD. It sounds as it is very circumstantial, and depends on your personality. I am determined to get better, I don't know if I will ever take meds again but I won't be completely closed off to it, as it sounds like it has helped a great majority of you. I will also try things like diet, and exercise and maybe talk to my T about it again. I am very skeptical when it comes to my personal health and medications. I have lost too many people I loved from deadly side affects, and have seen drastic changes in people's personalities. I have a terrible fear of losing control, and I don't want to take a medication that alters the way I react, feel, etc. I think the concept itself just creeps me out. But I will keep an open mind and continue to ask questions and do research. Thank you all for taking the time to write back to me.

SadDreamer,
I hope one day you can move past the self-blame.

Yes, you can recover from PTSD without medication... however; medication is helpful during trauma therapy to try and keep your symptoms minimised a little, because they will skyrocket and peek during such times. Medication may be the only thing that stops some people killing themselves, hurting themselves or another, during such times. It is far more painful to revisit trauma, pull it apart and heal it, than it usually is to live it in the first place. Why? Because you didn't have PTSD to deal with during it normally.

Yes, you can recover from PTSD without medication... however; medication is helpful during trauma therapy to try and keep your symptoms minimised a little, because they will skyrocket and peek during such times.

I believe you are right Anthony. Trauma and stress aggravate my symptoms seriously to the point of being suicidal. I have been taking medication (only one pill) for many years to treat my anxiety and it works well. However with my current relationship breakdown, after 15 years of living in fantasy land. I needed sleeping pills for a few weeks to switch my brain off at night so I could sleep.
Luckily my coping skills have kicked in again, and I am starting to look at what occurred realistically. The feelings of hurt, pain are still there and I start seeing a new T in a couple of days. People are not the same and react in different ways to their trauma. Medication is sometimes a god send and can save your life, and help you through the worst times. Under supervision from a good Therapist of course.
My T in Perth is a wonderful man, that helped me through a prolonged period in hospital. He put up with all the sh*t I dished out in my anger and stuck with me. He taught me some good coping mechanisms. He looks after a lot of vets and alcoholics. If it wasn't for him I don't think I'd be here today.

That is very encourageing. I find medication has been a god send as well. Medication has helped me to feel stable, that I am, but also do not feel like I am progressing. I feel stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back