• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Menopause and ptsd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
48 with cptsd partial hysterectomy. It's a uphill battle ladies I can't sugar coat it. Kudos to those who can take HRT, I cannot due to not having a thyroid. So many different symptoms to go thru at various times. I wish I had the answers but everyone is different. I'm giving meds a second chance, hoping this helps with symptoms

You are my twin. I am 50 and menopause has destroyed my life. Retired early last year and have money...
I am really sad to hear of your experiences but you are worth so much more than what you are doing with your life. I get the clueless doctor thing my ptsd set in trying to help my daughter after she was abused and deceloped conversion disorder (paralysis in 3 limbs). However i faught for her and now I am finding myself in a need to fight for me. No body else will fight for yoy except God but not sure how that works in the mess of it. Pick yourself up if you can if the goal is to have a shower and get dressed then do something but don't let this stinking trauma get the better if you. I am about to go back to doc and try Hrt antidepressants didn't help but I hadn't considered the hormonal concoction that could be happening and it is worth a shot to get back to coping. I aint coping and it sounds like you aren't either but you are a beautiful woman that is a survivor and I pray you can overcome. Bless you x

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
Just wondering what, if anything, people have found to help with PTSD and pre-menopause. I got diagnosed with PTSD in 2014 and thought that I was just starting to have a normal life (with the drugs!) middle of last year. Then hormones started kicking in and discovered I was pre-menopausal at 44. had a mirena coil fitted to reduce the hormones and level them out, which seems to have helped but have noticed in the last 3 months that I am getting daily PTSD attacks the week before my period. The first 3 months of the year were free of attacks.
Who do I go to see, the psychologist or the gynecologist? Any advice would be much appreciated as the attacks are pure hell!

I don't have PTSD but I've always had hormonal and seasonal depression. For me birth control pills helped drastically! Especially monophasic ones, that don't change hormone levels throughout the month. Now I'm in my early 50s per hormone tests can not get pregnant so I'm on HRT. Again, helps drastically! I'm a different person when I'm off for a few months. Don't know if the effect would be the same if I suffered from ptsd but it makes a huge difference with my depression.

Am 52, in the middle of menopause, with CPTSD. This is godawful. Has been months since I felt anywhere...
55y.o. 11 years with perimenopausal issues.
Because I've had a head injury, apparently the craziness is worse. The recommended small doses of effexor long lasting, and bupropion have helped immensely. I was dizzy and had anxiety, fear of heights, etc. before effexor. I dont think this is too much stuff to be taking, and I'm such a health nut. It was the only way to be social.

I wish I had had a physician with brains back when I went through peri-menopause and menopause. My TSH, a blood test, was over the top range, indicating hypothyroidism. Had she just given me a small amount of thyroid medicine, I wouldn't have the problems I have today. Instead she gave me medication for some of the symptoms of hypothyroidism which are also the symptoms of CPTSD. I think she chocked up my symptoms as mostly from depression and anxiety.

Over time I ended up having worsening symptoms of hypothyroidism. That along with DID and CPTSD made me feel crazy at times as hypoT symptoms are similar to CPTSD. Yikes! Had she listened to me I wouldn't have suffered...20/20 hindsight works great. lol I remember her prescribing Ativan for my insomnia. After a couple of days I went from sleeping 2 to 4 hours a night to 18 hours a day! I had to quit that medicine.

Am 52, in the middle of menopause, with CPTSD. This is godawful. Has been months since I felt anywhere...
Thank you so much for posting this...I am a DAV with severe PTSD from MSD. I finally had it under control and bam!, I've had the worse episodes for the past two years. I was trying to figure out what was the common denominator for the attacks and each time it was on the start of my menstrual cycle. I can only assume at this point, now that I'm turning 40, that my hormones are changing and is causing my body and mind additional stress that I had under control. I guess I'm going to have to just deal with it.

The other common symptom is that I wasn't sleeping again; which just aggravates everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 50, had menopausal symptoms such as increased agitation, mood imbalances, ooh and those awful night and day swets effecting my sleep and coming in on my work day. Went on HRT, within a week I was feeling so much better. I don't take any other medication but I really feel that HRT has helped me and theres no way I would consider coming off it in the near future.

I know this is an old thread, and I know how hard it is to go through all the stages of the "Pause" from "Men" but at 69 I have to say this ---
Don't think of them as "Hot Flashes", think of them as "Power Surges". This too will pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back