• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Midnight Wandering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily18

Learning
Does anyone else walk around when they can't sleep? If so, do you have any certain habits while you do it? I tend to wander around my house mindlessly since laying down and trying to sleep usually brings on unwanted thoughts and memories. I always wander into the same room every time and pace until I feel like I can try to sleep again.

I walk back and forth in one room with music playing on my IPod at an steady rhythm to put myself in a trance state. This will be sometime between midnight and 6 am usually. I walk in the dark but the city lights allow me to see so I don't bump into anything. I will look down at my feet walking now and then so my limbic brain sees I am not trapped anymore. I can fight or flee - in case it's back in the sixties again.

I've walked miles in the city in the summer when I couldn't sleep. I kept a log. I was hyper at those times and didn't know I had ptsd. One night I think I walked nine miles.

I have a bad habit in the summer of taking off to walk at night, was just thinking today last summer I was in PJ's and sandals and a raincoat at 1:30 a.m. when I came upon a group of guys who were bored, I wasn't thinking. Also sometimes I go to the highway. But I understand it blows off adrenaline. I've cleaned to at 3 a.m., so does one of my sisters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back