• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Bipolar My doc suspects bipolar disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
And no offense to anyone else, but I feel ashamed
You're allowed to have those feelings.
I think they'll fade with time, but right now it's totally normal.

I don't have bipolar, but my diagnosis of essential tremor for instance, I hated. And I was very ashamed.
I didn't want it. At all.
Or seeing my pdoc notes that suspected borderline personality disorder; that brought up a whole load of emotions.

You're not alone in this, at all, and it's great that you reached out. :hug:

But if you don't meet all the diagnostic criteria, surely this can't advance beyond a suspicion on his part?

Or am I being overly naive about how psychiatry works?

True.

I read over all of the different kinds of bipolar and none of them fit.

My current PHP doc says stay on the Wellbutrin, the agitation is likely unrelated or a side effect that should go away.

If it's any consolation, my mother has all sorts of bipolar congruent reactions to meds and she doesn't have bipolar disorder.
Sometimes the body works that way with meds, if you had the issues outside of med reaction I would believe the suspicion.
Since you don't, I wouldn't worry about another diagnosis at this point really.

If it's any consolation, my mother has all sorts of bipolar congruent reactions to meds and she doesn't have bipolar disorder.
Sometimes the body works that way with meds, if you had the issues outside of med reaction I would believe the suspicion.
Since you don't, I wouldn't worry about another diagnosis at this point really.

Thank you.

I do have mood fluctuations, but I don’t have the other symptoms that are required for a diagnosis. I think I have 2, and at a minimum you need 4.

Anyway, my current doc here in PHP didn’t think my reaction was med based and told me to keep on taking the medication. So far, no more reactions. I’m settling into this med ok, well since then. He also told me that if it was a med reaction he would have expected it sooner than day 4.

I read the requirements for med induced bipolar and that doesn’t fit either.

I can see why a doc might wonder about bipolar disorder. Long before this med, you have described here on the forums mood swings and it seems like dealing with agitation isn’t new, but this is another wave of it. It could be partly fueled by a mood disorder and/or part of other emotion regulation problems.

If there is bipolar disorder in the mix, that doesn’t make you a bad person. The label is a tool to finding ways to feel better. That’s all it is. It’s not a judgement on you as a person.

I’m glad the Wellbutrin is helping.

Apparently, as it has come to my attention, I use agitation and anxiety interchangeably, and this is getting me into trouble. At this point I don’t even know what it means to be agitated.

Which is pretty much ridiculous because the definition of agitated includes “nervous”. Wtf psych world, I use the wrong damn term and I now have a new disorder. I should cease attempts at branching out my vocabulary and dumb it down.

Wow... i read so much in common tonight.

When i went to inpatient they questioned if i was bipolar because of my mood shifts. Turned out to be TBI emotional lability they call it.

Recently i also been told and realized i have been using the wrong words...now i am confused and doubt myself more afriad to answer wrongly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back