• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Nausea when triggered or anxious - also, anti-anxiety device blocking vagus nerve signals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just spent 2 out of the last 4 days sitting on the bed with nausea and intense pain, but I have the same. It's been worse lately.

It's really difficult to manage/ inopportune. 😒

I take Pristiq
Hey hey! Desvenlafaxine! That's what I take, too. You know that's making your nausea a heap worse, yeah? If you're not already, maybe talk to your doc about taking something to counter the impact it has on your tummy:)

ETA I'm Australian, and dinky words like "tummy" are norm here, in case that sounded weird!

I didn't realise it would fix nausea. Do you buy it over the counter? Does your GP approve of taking it every day?
Prazoles are typically prescribed for GORD, so it's a very effective stomach settler. GO prescribes it, and I take it daily. It's much cheaper here in Australia than relying on Odanstaron, which is PRN (pills you take when you need them, rather than daily). It's easy to vary the dose, which I do periodically with my GP when my intestinal symptoms get worse (or better).
People with personality disorders.
Totally off topic, but just thinking out loud - in terms of symptom management, it may be helpful to know the specific behaviours that trigger your symptoms. Maybe you already do, in which case ignore. But, as an example, it's going to be quicker and easier for you to identify "this person is behaving...", and that doesn't require the constant mindset of "okay, which of you people has a personality disorder and who doesn't"...

If your trauma was caused by a person with BPD, for example, which of their behaviours is a trigger for me? Because not all people with BPD will behave the same way...

Just a thought, and off topic, sorry! Take what's helpful, toss the rest:)

Hey hey! Desvenlafaxine! That's what I take, too. You know that's making your nausea a heap worse, yeah? If you're not already, maybe talk to your doc about taking something to counter the impact it has on your tummy:)

ETA I'm Australian, and dinky words like "tummy" are norm here, in case that sounded weird!
I'm Australian too. I have not heard that Pristiq makes my nausea worse. Actually if I up my dose for a day or two the nausea goes away, but my doc says not to do that as I am on 200mg. It's the only one that works for me with panic attacks and Fibromyalgia pain.

I have not heard that Pristiq makes my nausea worse
Oh, big time. The nausea is the number one complaint, and the reason why it's one of very few psychotropic meds that people often lose weight on (because they're too nauseous to eat!).

Here's the consumer leaflet - side effects are listed quite a long way down, beyond all the "Try not to panic, but..." information.

200mg is quite a high dose for this particular med. Given the other issues it tends to get at higher doses, that's probably why your pdoc is twitchy about bumping your dose around.

This thread is super-interesting. Just, thank you all for it!

I'm going to teach myself to burp.

And @Flossy - I've got no idea if this suggestion might help, or if you've already tried it...but the tried and true use of ginger root has always settled my stomach. The tea will do it for me, but if it's very immediate nausea? Ginger juice. No idea if it'd work for the type of nausea you're talking about, but I'm going to hope that @Friday comes back and writes more about how ginger works :)

ETA: I'm merging this with your other thread, since they are already combining their topics. It's going to have made a bit of a mess, post-continuity-wise, but it'll help the thread in the long run.

I caved in today and took a Nexium which helped a lot, but will try the ginger juice and some other sources like glazed ginger. Then practise the burping technique my husband was so proud to display for me. He proudly announced he does it every day early afternoon to settle his stomach. Not that he bothered telling me about it, though I have been whingeing for about a year about my nausea. Bloody hell.

I had a chat with my pharmacist again today and she believes strongly that my PTSD is not well managed. She has several people with PTSD who have theirs managed well. I intend to sidle up to her tomorrow and ask her to give me their med combination to research and talk to my doc about.

I'm going to hope that @Friday comes back and writes more about how ginger works :)
LOL… I feel like I USED to know? But that part of my brain isn’t talking to me, at the moment!

I do sort of recall it’s LIKE how capsaicin (found in certain hot peppers) creates a substance P reaction (pain chemical in the body), without actually causing damage… triggering the body to send painkillers (endorphins) to the affected area. IE How certain salves & patches (Tiger🐅Balm Capsacin Patches are 💗) relieve sore muscle & joint pain, by waving a flag at the body’s own systems & directing it to get to work, already!

Aargh. Now I’m going to have to go look it up. 😅

Ginger doesn’t work, for me… probably because of the phobia sticking it’s nose in, making my reaction to any nausea so over the top stupid. My kid half lives on Ginger-chews, though… and our diet includes ginger in about 1/3 of what we eat? Both fresh and pickled. So I say it doesn’t work for me, but it may keep nausea from kicking off, and it’s only after it kicks off I become all …me… about it.

Last edited:
zofran worked great for me but compounded on fatigue from my other meds, so now i just power through it. but you're absolutely not alone, a lot of my nausea over the years has been psychosematic.

one trick i learned from my addict days, is lie on your side in the fetal position, or get your head lower than your heart (between your knees-i can often get away with resting my elbows on my knees and dropping my shoulders without looking f*cking weird in public.)

unless you are genuinely sick with the flu, it should help. burping helps, too. so does puking (i'm emetophobic as well so i under stand why this isn't relistic.)

"okay, which of you people has a personality disorder and who doesn't"
snort. you know what's funny, is that i do this all through my own life, too. i'm like bpd! eyyy! with everybody. it's so funny. is it really bpd unless you diagnose eveyone else with bpd too, thus disintegrating the lines between you and other people even further than they already are? 🤪

Last edited:
I dunno. But, for now I feel safer walking through the world diagnosing others. So, I ain't going to stop. You know how it is. 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back