• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Parts and therapy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missycat

MyPTSD Pro
Hi , there are a few posts regarding dissociation and ‘parts’ work but i cant seem to find anything that answers my question or concerns.
My therapist knows about and recognises my part (its an angry part so i will call her angry missy ) . Angry missy has showed herself in session once - my T wants to work with angry missy ( shes approx 11/13 years old) and has offered to talk to her and listen
to her with some agreed boundaries ie it doesn't traumatise me. I joke with my T that sometimes there are 2 of us at session but when i try to talk or relay what angry missy wants angry missy wont let me speak … my throat just clams up almost like i cant swallow.
I want to work with her and to let her talk but im so afraid of her taking over and me being lost , not being able to come back. I trust my T to look after me, however we have sessions via the internet and are not physically in the same room.
Has anyone done similar work ? did you have the same concerns? How did you overcome these ? How do your parts communicate with your T and in session? Thank you for listening and any feedback, ideas, comments, insight are welcome .

I'm sorry you are struggling with this. I have DID and a couple of very angry insiders/parts. I likely would not work with them in this way virtually, but that's just me. I have very good communication with many of my insiders, but the angry ones are the hardest. They tend to be stronger and a bit more stubborn, and unless I had someone around who could make sure I was present again, I wouldn't want to do it.

I struggle with this as well. As this all is somewhat new to me I have to say that I was worried about the very same things. I really trusted my therapist so it took a while but it happened. I have to say though that it felt safer -and still does- when in person.

It feels much less safe to attempt or allow this in a remote setting.

Sending love 💜.

Doing parts work would have been so great and I wanted to, if my previous therapist hadn't been such a screwed up mess. He had a lot of issues and never worked on them, so his shit kept hindering and interrupting my work! My current T doesn't do parts work. But he is really really aware, calm, and patient.So some of this got worked out naturally-- I got angry, let him know. I was totally unreasonable. His reaction was so welcoming and he told his perspective-- I wasnt embarrassed and it made my angry parts relax and be ok. But there is no way in hell that they are ever going to tell anyone including him what happened. I've learned that is not necessary for me to recover and get freer. My angry parts were also in that 11 to 13 years old age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back