• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

People showing kindness is triggering self hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGirl

Confident
I'm taking time off work because a triggering event made it too hard to continue until I can get myself feeling better. I am finding that I want to push work friends ( and my husband's family) away because I will contaminate them. I am not like this with long time friends who have also gone through traumas, just people who I perceive as being "normal." Its like I dont want to taint them with the could of evil that surrounds me. I almost messaged a friend the other day to tell her that she should not be friends with me because i am too messed up and have nothing positive to offer her.

Today a coworker texted me that she is thinking about me and that while i am important and missed, she is glad that I am taking time to take care of myself. I have no idea why but this triggered suicidal thoughts. I started feeling like i am nothing and that no one should care for me. It reminded me about how much I hate myself. What a burden I am. Even though I know it is irrational to believe that I have caused pain for friends/family, I feel responsible for things that happen to them. I was able to pull out of it on my own and I keep pulling myself back to the present when I notice I am not here. I feel like I have bad energy and that being around me will cause harm to to others. I keep trying to tell myself that I am a good person, but it is hard to believe it.

The most bizzare thing is that when I was still at work, I felt ignored and like no one cared about me. I felt alone and insignificant. I wanted people to notice. To care. Now that they do, it make me feel worthless.

Other people’s emotions are heavy.

Sometimes it’s a nice weight. Balancing, grounding, momentum inducing, strengthening, protective.

But when I can’t even deal with my own emotions? Other people’s emotions are crushing. As in drop a boulder on me, splat; or the straw that broke the camels back. Either way, flattened.

I relate whole heartedly to this. I wish I had some wisdom to share with you but this is something I am trying to understand too. This morning I started listening to Pete Walkers Surviving to Thriving book, I figured it may be too triggering to read it with my own eyes so I will listen to it on audible. I think its very deeply ingrained in us that to be kind to ourselves or for others to kind to us triggers a shameful feeling or inner yearning for what we didn't get and now feel undeserving for. Hope you are ok, I am right where you are, you're not alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back