• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Residential Treatment Programs For PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The program I did is a National program, though the particular location I was, being Townsville, has the largest military presence, thus the program obviously deals with a lot of soldiers with PTSD. The program varies across Australia, to exactly how they run it. Mine was six weeks in total, two days a week for the first two weeks, then four days a week for two weeks, then two days a week for the last two weeks.

There is good reason they found this works well, because one of PTSD's symptoms is lack of concentration. Trying to teach any person with uncontrolled PTSD longer than a few hours is fruitless. The days usually began with the hard hitting work, then the afternoons full of relaxation therapy, etc. Townsville has an 80% success rate for that course, being that 80% of all attendee's will firstly live, not kill themselves, and they will maintain a stable lifestyle of management, not just fall back into bad habits. Some do, some don't.

The problem though, is the remainder of the same courses around Australia have success rates down to 10% and vary between States / locations. If Evie is to be locked up, basically speaking, for three months, I would look real hard into the program and what they are doing. The exact issue you raised Kathy about the isolation from society is one of the biggest problems, where people get better on the courses / programs because thats all they have at that time, then they fall apart again once finished, sometimes coming better again, sometimes not, depending on what the person wants for themselves.

This is the exact reason why I personally won't pay much attention to those who aren't 120% committed to wanting a better life, and plenty exist even here. People want to improve, but they are still afraid of facing their pasts, they are afraid of having to endure pain in order to gain their life back... they want change, but aren't willing to sacrifice for it. I help those I truly see wanting it and working towards it, and those that aren't, can only be truly helped when their ready to suffer in order to help themselves basically speaking.

Denial, self sympathy, empath, etc... it doesn't work with PTSD, and these are the failure rates usually. The moment a person gets help, that is a positive sign, but it doesn't mean the person wants to get better. They may think they want to get better, but if they truly wanted it, they would do anything in order to get it, no self sacrifice to mental pain or physical pain due to mental pain would stop them.

Lots of people want help, but only a few reach that point of no return, which must be reached to truly endure the pain it takes in order to heal PTSD, being those who will succeed no matter the self cost of illness to do so.

I totally here you about the foundation aspect though, as it is something upon my mind to have a global foundation one day where those with PTSD can come to get real help, from nothing more than others with PTSD, not therapist or doctors stuffing medication or relaxation theories down their throat, instead teaching them to eat healthy, exercise, how to actually manage tough situations, reduce anger by looking too the core of the problem, etc etc.

I suspect though it would have huge legal implecations to do... a retreat that has no qualified people being paid! Hmmmmmmmm... just not cricket from a society / legal POV!

That is a very interesting idea Anthony, however yes legally speaking it would likely be a nightmare. You would need to enlist the help of some health care professionals, perhaps find some who shared your ideals. I believe it could be possible if that were the case. The treatment centre we are considering for Evie has exercise and diet therapy, as well as some holistic therapies such as acupuncture and reiki. The focus is not on medication, that is another reason we are interested in this particular facility.

However when I remarked Jim and I are wanting to set up a foundation, I meant foundation simply in terms of a granting facility, where individuals could apply to receive scholarships, bursaries or grant money.

*chuckles*

Anthony has quite a few of us on here with various SW credentials... Once we are in a better place.. don't think he would have to look to far! LOL

bec

Oh yes of course, good point Bec. In which case the concept is quite possible after all!

Hmmm... I know many of the veteran organisations do the same thing Kathy, where you can apply to them for grants, etc... to help with PTSD, or to provide direct support to the veteran community.

Yes, and the Military Family Resource Centres throughout the country have similar programs. We have donated to them in the past, and also recently in Brian's memory. We have also thought of a foundation to fund research from the medical aspect. All of these are simply thoughts however. We are still in the very early stages of deciding what we would like to do, and we would be open to suggestions from any of you.

Hey, you have no objections from me if your helping someone find a cure for PTSD. That would be all good in my eyes, and I would have my hand up to be in the trials for a cure.

What do you think about 12 step programs such as AA, NA, etc.
I had some difficulty with alcohol and drug abuse. My family intervened and got me into a drug rehab.
With me drugs and alcohol were not the only problems I had. Nor was the PTSD. I had what I could call a "living problem".
I am only speaking for myself here.
I still do attend 12 step meetings, and consider myself a recovering alcoholic. The 12 step program has shown me a whole new way to think and to live. And I am sober.

My husband and I are long time members of AA and Al-Anon respectively. Al-Anon saved our marriage in my opinion, as it taught me that my feelings and happiness also mattered and that I couldn't "fix" my husband, he had to stop drinking on his own. That being said, both Jim and I are what I term "moderate" members, in that we don't believe, as many AAs do, that Alcoholics Anonymous is the only way to remain sober. From my professional experience as a social worker, there are other methods to achieve and maintain sobriety which have just as high a success rate as AA. Once again, it seems to boil down to, do people want to commit themselves to wellness or not. It matters not the program you use, AA or otherwise, but your attitude and commitment to that program. AA has worked for us, but we would never presume to say it is the only way or that it will work for all. It is simply a means to an end.

I certainly agree. I know some who are totally immersed. And there was a time when I was myself. At that time it was a good thing, certainly better than what I had been doing. I still go to meetings of course, I still need that kind of connecting with others.
But I can't live like that any more. Today my daily schedule has me stretched out like an ironing board, with work, family, long driving distance to work, etc.
I believe if I had not got sober, I would not be alive today.
I also believe the things I did and the things I learned in AA benefit me each day.

AA and Al-Anon are wonderful programs for people in crisis. All you need do is pick up the phone, and you can be at a meeting, conversing with people like yourself, in 24 hours or less, anywhere in the world practically. A member may even arrive at your home to speak with you in person and accompany you to your first meeting. There are no dues or fees, no waiting lists, no assessments, all members are volunteers. More experienced members give of their time freely to help the new members. Jim and I used to devote countless hours to newcomers we sponsored, late into the night at times. When no one else was willing to help, we were there, just as others had been there for us.

That being said however, one does not remain in a crisis forever. Eventually you reach a management stage, and at that point, as you mention lrs, it should be natural to once again devote more time to family, work, leisure activities and so on, and less to therapy. This seems to be where many in AA get stuck, as AA becomes their family and their leisure activity and in some cases their job as well! It is, in my opinion, substituting one addiction for another, and becomes counterproductive at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back