• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

River Oaks vs. Sheppard Pratt?! What do you know about them? Ahh help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguinuser

New Here
Really struggling (okay maybe panicking) about choosing between River Oaks and Sheppard Pratt. River Oaks I know next to nothing about, and Sheppard Pratt, alternatively, has a really good reputation. (Their waiting list is 4 months though!)
  • Any suggestions in deciding?
  • If you've been to one, what was your experience like?
  • Does River Oaks have a good reputation for its trauma program?
  • How would you compare the two if you've been to both or even just know a bit about them?
  • If you've been to either, what were the methods used for processing trauma itself?
BTW, I just joined this forum after a lot of reading but not registering. Glad to be here.

@penguinuser I can't speak for Sheppard Pratt but I did go to River Oaks twice in 2018 early and then later (usually 12 months a part but I had a break in employment and had been released early so it was not the norm) . Granted that was pre-Covid so I can't speak for the changes the pandemic has had made to the program but it is a good program. They use a lot of DBT but they also had EMDR trained therapists when I was there. Now as I said things may have changed but if I had to break it down these are what I would consider the major pros and cons for River Oaks as a program looking back 4 years now (wow hadn't thought like that)

Pros:
Small Census
They are Co-Ed but at the time had a maximum of 10 women and 10 men in but it was unusual to have that many and with Covid I don't know if they would have that many as that would have everyone in double rooms
Two Trauma tracks - Stabilization and Processing, they can be done concurrently but you don't have to start in stabilization if you are fully ready for processing
Good experienced clinical staff and therapist
Solid program
with tools that you can take home with you after discharge to continue working on with your therapist

Cons:
If it hasn't changed the Trauma program shares a building/ward with the eating disorders program at River Oaks, when I was there this was a problem for a couple of reasons. The ED program residents had privileges that the trauma residents did not and as a result there was a lot of tension between residents of the two programs. ED residents were allowed to watch TV during free time Trauma residents not, and this created issues in the common areas, due to restrictions on food and beverages for ED residents bathrooms and the kitchen areas were locked except during meal times which again as a trauma resident yet forced to be in the common area but not allowed to watch TV issues arose.
Non-clinical staff pre-covid was less than stellar and short-staffed I seriously doubt that this has improved 3 years into the pandemic

@penguinuser I can't speak for Sheppard Pratt but I did go to River Oaks twice in 2018 early and then later (usually 12 months a part but I had a break in employment and had been released early so it was not the norm) . Granted that was pre-Covid so I can't speak for the changes the pandemic has had made to the program but it is a good program. They use a lot of DBT but they also had EMDR trained therapists when I was there. Now as I said things may have changed but if I had to break it down these are what I would consider the major pros and cons for River Oaks as a program looking back 4 years now (wow hadn't thought like that)

Pros:
Small Census
They are Co-Ed but at the time had a maximum of 10 women and 10 men in but it was unusual to have that many and with Covid I don't know if they would have that many as that would have everyone in double rooms
Two Trauma tracks - Stabilization and Processing, they can be done concurrently but you don't have to start in stabilization if you are fully ready for processing
Good experienced clinical staff and therapist
Solid program
with tools that you can take home with you after discharge to continue working on with your therapist

Cons:
If it hasn't changed the Trauma program shares a building/ward with the eating disorders program at River Oaks, when I was there this was a problem for a couple of reasons. The ED program residents had privileges that the trauma residents did not and as a result there was a lot of tension between residents of the two programs. ED residents were allowed to watch TV during free time Trauma residents not, and this created issues in the common areas, due to restrictions on food and beverages for ED residents bathrooms and the kitchen areas were locked except during meal times which again as a trauma resident yet forced to be in the common area but not allowed to watch TV issues arose.
Non-clinical staff pre-covid was less than stellar and short-staffed I seriously doubt that this has improved 3 years into the pandemic
This is an invaluable review of the program. I can not thank you enough. For real!!! Thank you for taking the time to write this all out, I mean wow! I don't know how to thank you for your time. Means a lot to me. I acknowledge that things can change rapidly but this is invaluable information, regardless.

I just returned from Sheppard-Pratt and have been there serveral times in the past. Their trauma disorders unit is forcused on supporting people with cPTSd and dissociative disorders such as dissociative identity disorder (DID). If you're still looking for information, I am certainly provide some.

I've been to River Oaks three times over the past three years. I used this forum a lot to make decisions about where to receive treatment in the past so I'm happy to pass that along to someone else.

Any suggestions in deciding?
How would you compare the two if you've been to both or even just know a bit about them?

I've never been to Sheppard Pratt so I cannot really speak for them. This is what I've heard from a few people who have attended both programs: Sheppard Pratt is much more focused on DID and general regulation. River Oaks is more therapy intensive and there is a track that gets in depth about processing trauma. Sheppard Pratt doesn't go into processing at all.

River Oaks does have tracks for compulsive behaviors (anything from drugs to self-harm to shoplifting to sex) and eating disorders as well. I was special enough to be in both. It was extra groups and extra work, but I am so glad they had these elements and looked at all of the things affecting me.

If you've been to one, what was your experience like?

I'm not sure if you've been to treatment before, but it's definitely a no-frills place. Plain, nothing fancy in terms of environment or food for sure. It is technically in a hospital so the other units are mostly acute. That being said, the therapy is absolutely life changing. Here is what could be a typical day:
  • Wake up, eat breakfast, take meds
  • Attend a trauma processing group (likely a skills group prior to joining this one)
  • Art therapy
  • Eat snack
  • Individual therapy- individual therapy is 5 times per week which is way more than I've ever experienced elsewhere. Definitely a huge selling point.
  • Lunch and break
  • Lecture-style group- may be on development, dissociation, types of trauma, etc.
  • Psychodrama- this also had a huge impact on me- enough that I started an outpatient group when I got back home
  • Inner Child group
  • Break/ outside time
  • Dinner
  • Free time- homework, phone calls, hanging out, etc.
  • Snack
  • Meds
  • Bed

Does River Oaks have a good reputation for its trauma program?
Yes, definitely one of the top in the country.

If you've been to either, what were the methods used for processing trauma itself?
They use quite a variety of modalities. CBT, DBT, art therapy, music therapy, psychodrama, connecting to inner child, verbally processing trauma, psychoeducation on different elements of trauma, compulsive behaviors uses a lot of behavioral therapies

Honestly, I highly recommend. There is typically no or a short waitlist as well. The therapists are great and a lot of the staff has been there for 20+ years. The psychiatrist is phenomenal. He really cares and listens. We see him typically 4-5 times a week as well, even though this is not needed for insurance. He views it as a collaboration and advocates like hell to get you what you need and additional time. Like I said, I have been three times in the past three years. I would not have gone back if I didn't find it beneficial. It's common for this to become people's only treatment place because they actually see improvement after attending this program. I never thought I'd be where I am in my life and it is largely due to this program and implementing what I've learned from it at home.

If you've been to one, what was your experience like?
You are right in that Sheppard-Pratt does focus a lot on dissociative disorders in their trauma program. For me that is a must. Without that, I wouldn't be where I am today. (I do like that you are allowed to process at River Oaks- that sounds amazing.) You can process some things with trauma at Sheppard-Pratt, but it is usually just enough to help you regain stabilization. There are unique situations though. During one of my stays, I was encouraged to process some things as if I didn't I would not have been able to regain stability.

Sheppard-Pratt has an amazing array of specialty psychiatric units, but if you were to need to focus on eating disorders you would go to that unit and then come back. Eating disorders will help as much as they can with advice if you're on the trauma unit. There's always a dietician to talk to.

A typical day starts with whole group setting goals for the day and talking about what you accomplished the day before. The day ends with a small group in which you briefly state how you did with accomplishing your goals and what you plan for the night is.- skills focused. There are various groups that include occupational therapy run groups such as cognitive tasks, daily living skills, leisure group, and creative expressions. There is a CBT group and a DBT group. There is music therapy, usually there is art therapy, but the art therapist had just left and they were searching for a new one last time I was there. There is yoga. A group called containment which is very key to helping with stabilization. There is a journal group, stress and health management, symptom management, and self-compassion. There are a couple of opportunities for group therapy such as family issues and general group psychotherapy. There is also a group on transitions. There is individula therapy 3 times per week and psychiatry every day including covering attendings on weekends.

I find the program so helpful. A lot has changes since I first went to Sheppard-Pratt, but it is still an amazing program to learn about safety and stabilzation. If you have any type of dissociative disorder, this is really a wonderful place to learn about that. If you want to really focus on processing, you may want to choose River Oaks. The staff at Sheppard-Pratt is consistent from the mental health workers, the nurses, the therapists, and the psychiatrists. That's another thing that I really like- everyone is speaking the same language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back