• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Service dogs: do they really do any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in a country where service dogs for PTSD is not recognised.

When I gave evidence in the states the police employed rape advocate asked about this as she noted I was stroking my soft coat and we had talked about me having pet dogs. She expressed a regret and said from our conversations and time together she felt I would be an ideal candidate for a service dog.

I do note I feel more comfortable when I can take my PET dogs with me and isolate with them. They are NOT in any way service dogs but I tend to only go out alone to places I can take them now . I feel they are extra eyes and ears but also they do just give me comfort . If it were not for them I would not leave home for very long periods of time. I have barely been inside a supermarket, for example, since ... maybe six times? If I had a dog I am certain it would make me feel safer. I do not think my dogs have aptitude for service dog training but if it were recognised for PTSD in my country I would gladly find means to fund it. I think it would give me all kinds of freedom back :).

I am wondering, and this feels heinous to consider, but for those who feel the ‘cane’. Of their service dog is not useful, would rehoming be a possibility if they are within working lifespan? It would be incredibly sad for both parties I imagine, but possible for a working dog to get companion ship and worth providing his/ her skills to some one else in remaining working years?

I don’t like suggesting it because dogs are not commodities : but I am trying to think practically .

I think you have a typo in here...can you clarify?

Someone made a comparison of their dog to a ‘cane’ they no longer truly need and maybe even holds them back a little ?

I am sure it still makes a wonderful companion though!

My query was whether if some found this was not the case, if there was a way these great dogs were able to find other service positions.

It’s a pondering really. I have rejoined adult pet dogs, not working dogs.

Of their service dog is not useful, would rehoming be a possibility if they are within working lifespan?

I don't think anyone said their service dog wasn't useful. But, that's sort of like asking someone to take the cast off their broken foot and give it to you because theirs has healed a little and yours is newly broken. Not that people don't gift service dogs as they do but, really?

Chopper isn't my crutch. He's my best friend, my saviour (not in a religious sence but in a saves me daily sense), he is my eyes and ears, he is my alerter, my helper, my brace, my everything and I'd die for him. A thousand times over. He will be with me until he dies. I am preparing now to bring in a service dog prospect in about a year to take his place as my service dog in about 3 yrs. He will retire as my pet and be with me until he dies. As will his replacement and the next replacement and so on. A washed out dog (one that didn't make it as a service dog) I'd gift as a possible Emotional Support Animal but my service dog? Nope. Sorry.

@Mee - for me, I live in a small studio apartment where pets aren’t allowed (accredited assistance dogs get an exception). So if the day came where my dog could no longer meet my needs, I would probably be forced to find a new home for him.

People find themselves in situations all the time where, for unexpected reasons, they have to find a new home for a beloved pet. With my dog’s special abilities, if I had to make that heartbreaking decision to rehome him? I would very much hope to find him a home where he could, at the very least, assist someone as an emotional support animal.

I think most service dog owners would probably do everything they could to keep their dog, even when their animal needs to be retired from service. But situations do arise on rare occasions, and sometimes the heartbreaking decision to rehome a dog does need to be made, for a variety of reasons.

Someone made a comparison of their dog to a ‘cane’ they no longer truly need and maybe even holds them back a little ?

The only time I considered rehoming Charlie was when I was in imminent danger of being homeless. I was at the end of everything and thought I would find myself living out of my car soon. I wasn't going to do that to a dog I had bonded with so closely. I actually met with someone who would have used him for the same reason.

The only reason I would rehome is if I couldn't take care of him. I made a promise, a decision to take this dog on as a partner. I have a hard time thinking of life without him. I feel wrong when I go somewhere without him. Even when there are times that I feel that he 'slows me down' I also know he makes things possible. I also know, in a very real and tangible way that he is a major part of why I am still alive. I am not going to abandon that to someone because I am mildly inconvenienced.

All that said, a service dog (or even an ESA) for PTSD, is a real emotional attachment- for both parties. You would be getting a heart broken dog who didn't know you or your signals. So, I would be wary of every hoping for something like that.

There are places out there who will work WITH you to train your dog. It's about a 3-4 year process. There's the chance that the dog could wash out but if you find the right dog and right trainer the rewards are great.

a service dog (or even an ESA) for PTSD, is a real emotional attachment- for both parties.
i don't think i quite get it...
ptsd makes some people emotionally numb, so for them, the dog would be used purely for a job to do. when the job is done, the dog could be re-allocated to the next person who requires it.
im hearing alot of comments here about how attached ppl are to their dogs, am i missing something? :confused:

ptsd makes some people emotionally numb
No. Not everyone becomes emotionally numb all the time. Besides depression, ideation, hypervigilience, etc PTSD folks often feel isolated and withdrawn from society. A dog- trained or not can- assist with these things because of the connection they have with their handler.
Hell even people who use their dogs as seeing eye dogs connect with their dog and (unless forced to give them up when they retire) keep the dog for the remainder of their days.
the dog would be used purely for a job to do. when the job is done, the dog could be re-allocated to the next person who requires it.
What kind of job do you think PTSD Service Dogs do?!
Besides helping me tone down the hypervigilence, mine also helps with depression and has interrupted self harm. Yes, he wakes me from nightmares. He grounds. The moment I start to get upset (before I know I'm upset) he's up in my face and lap trying to distract me from whatever it is that's upsetting me. He tuned into my emotional state. He's kept panic attacks from happening or getting terribly bad. He's interrupted flashbacks. My amygdala has hijacked my brain. While it all sounds very cold and scientific it comes down to an emotional state that is uncontrolled and unregulated. It is an EMOTIONAL state. Even numbness is an emotional state. Ergo: He's emotionally tuned in to grasp what he needs to do because he has bonded with me and I with him.

Because I'm forced to get out and exercise him I get exercise, I have to interact with people more- side benefits.

Ever stared into a dog's eyes? Doing so releases Oxytocin - basically that warm fuzzy feeling that we equate with love. It's powerful hormone that acts as a neurotransmitter in the brain.

Yes, we are attached to our dogs. Even if I'm emotionally numb because of a bad anniversary/trigger/etc , I know that the dog is caring for me in my really bad moments and I in turn care for him. It's a cool symbiotic relationship.
Charlie's got my back. I've got his.

He might be considered a 'durable medical device' but the truth of that it all goes much deeper. He does things I can't currently do for myself.
What's more, I'm a realist. There are days when I am in my very bad section and my ability to function normally is impaired. While that might get 'better' it's not likely to go away. I anticipate needing him to some degree for the remainder of his years. And like I said before, the dogs, while considered LEGALLY the same as a wheelchair, is not a piece of equipment. You can not shuffle them around like that. Dogs have an emotional intelligence about them as well. They love their handler. They would mourn the loss of their person.

Hope that helps.

It has helped me ; thank you.

I do know of working farm and gun dogs sold in adult hood so it's really interesting and makes absolute sense to see how closely attuned emotionally a ptsd service dog is.

Thank you very much for explaining so of this ♥️

It makes me see how right the advocate who mourned they were not accepted where I live is yo regret that for me. I get some support from my pets, I can see how much more I would get from a service dog :(

Service Dog Training FAQ: Owner Training, Cost, Basics

$100 service dog gear? What? His current vest was $130 and a mobilty support harness from Bold Leads Design is $500 - $1,000 depending on customizations. Even if you buy the cheapest and least amount of gear only and was only for PTSD gear total will be way over $100. I've spent over 4 grand (not including Chopper, he was free) and a lot of that was gear and training tools. Have no idea where this person got gear unless they bought or made one single vest and is using zero training tools.

Cost varies greatly for sure though. It"s not cheap no matter which way you go. And what I spent isn't what another spends.

I will reply to the emotional attachment after work cuz gotta a lot to say about that but no time at the moment.

I have dogs they are not trained service dogs. I only know that twice in the last couple of months two of them stopped me from killing myself. They got in my lap an would not leave me alone with my thoughts. I know they knew what I was thinking an they stopped me. Can't explain it in words but they did. I just held own to them until the feelings were gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back