• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Should I switch to an EMDR therapist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotTooLate

Confident
I've been working with a counselor for a few months now and although I like and trust her, I'm not sure I am getting what I need. When I look at her profile, there's not really anything about focusing on trauma and no EMDR. There is another counselor in my area whose bio makes it seem like we might be a good fit and she does focus on trauma and EMDR. Do you all think I should stick with who I have worked with and have a base relationship with or start over with someone new?

I agree with @somerandomguy.
Everyone is unique in their need set and pace in order to build tools. I underwent a solid block of time before my T moved into EMDR so that I had a few basics to fall back into. For me, I had inhibitors from my predator that needed to be lifted. Personally that form of therapy unglued me but as I offered everyone is different.

I found throughout the years, several solid trauma therapy modalities that assisted. So perhaps ask your T to be honest and find out what she can offer, first. In that way, you learn to sit in discomfort (valuable exposure training with a professional) as well as learning more about your T‘s qualification. But mostly, it won’t burn any bridges adding self-respect If and when you decide to follow your gut.

Best of wishes in your journey.

Thanks for the responses. I will talk to my T on Monday. I know I can't be, but I am impatient and just want to push through to get to the other side of these raw emotions that have been brought to the surface. It seems that we've opened up Pandora's box but haven't had a chance to find meaningful tools to get me through it all. I'm a very action-oriented person who wants to just dive in and get the job done. I don't want to sit around discussing the project, let's just get it done. Obviously, not a great plan for recovering from 40+ years of struggling.

While I wait to talk with my T, I have reached out to the few in my area who offer EMDR. Two are not accepting new clients and I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of others. If I do go the EMDR route, I want to make sure it's with someone who knows what they're doing.

It seems that we've opened up Pandora's box but haven't had a chance to find meaningful tools to get me through it all
Then this is a great opportunity to obtain and practice those tools before you start a really arduous process like EMDR.

This is entirely circumstantial, but everyone I've seen who does a lot of talk therapy first seems to do a lot better with EMDR.
I'm a very action-oriented person who wants to just dive in and get the job done.
I totally understand and am the exact same way. Unfortunately PTSD doesn't work like this. You can work as hard as possible and nothing might shift, and then you can take a break and then suddenly something does. You brain will heal on its own time and unfortunately nothing you can do will shorten the process much.

The important thing is that you've begun the journey and are committed to seeing it through. You'll need that determination going forward.

Wise words @NotTooLate on researching your choice. I understand the impatience or anxiety push but I just wish to share this one thought-
it is a journey not a race to heal.
So perhaps many of us wanted a quick fix, to amputate the trauma but many of us found that we needed time to process so that we became more whole. Our minds are protecting us, and you will find ‘movement’ when inner parts of you feel safe to release the toxicity. Be gentle to you. There is much going on inside that is action - for you have the courage to heal.

I've been working with a counselor for a few months now and although I like and trust her, I'm not sure I am getting what I need. When I look at her profile, there's not really anything about focusing on trauma and no EMDR. There is another counselor in my area whose bio makes it seem like we might be a good fit and she does focus on trauma and EMDR. Do you all think I should stick with who I have worked with and have a base relationship with or start over with someone new?
If you are having to ask.......I'd go looking to check out my options. Trust your gut on this one.

It seems that we've opened up Pandora's box but haven't had a chance to find meaningful tools to get me through it all. I'm a very action-oriented person who wants to just dive in and get the job done. I don't want to sit around discussing the project, let's just get it done. Obviously, not a great plan for recovering from 40+ years of struggling.

I can really relate to this. I also have a long history of struggling. I have CPTSD from abuse. My first therapist had trauma training (not EMDR). I did "talk therapy" with him for quite a while and he even mentioned EMDR and asked if I was interested in finding someone who did that. Eventually we both realized talk therapy wasn't moving me forward any more and I looked for a trauma trained therapist who also does EMDR. It took me a couple of tries to find a good fit, but I am so happy I did. I still didn't want to do the EMDR in the beginning and I'm glad I waited so I could build a good, solid foundation with this therapist.

Having been through this, I really feel if someone has trauma, they should see a "trauma" therapist. EMDR is a great resource for trauma, but there's more to it than that. The therapist needs other trauma skills as well. It's not just "hey, lets jump into EMDR and you'll be magically healing." I could see right away that this trauma trained therapist approached talk therapy differently and had the skills to help and support me. It made a huge difference.

I can really relate to this. I also have a long history of struggling. I have CPTSD from abuse. My first therapist had trauma training (not EMDR). I did "talk therapy" with him for quite a while and he even mentioned EMDR and asked if I was interested in finding someone who did that. Eventually we both realized talk therapy wasn't moving me forward any more and I looked for a trauma trained therapist who also does EMDR. It took me a couple of tries to find a good fit, but I am so happy I did. I still didn't want to do the EMDR in the beginning and I'm glad I waited so I could build a good, solid foundation with this therapist.

Having been through this, I really feel if someone has trauma, they should see a "trauma" therapist. EMDR is a great resource for trauma, but there's more to it than that. The therapist needs other trauma skills as well. It's not just "hey, lets jump into EMDR and you'll be magically healing." I could see right away that this trauma trained therapist approached talk therapy differently and had the skills to help and support me. It made a huge difference.
Thank you so much for sharing this! It gives me hope ❤️ So glad you found a good fit and were able to make progress. 🤞I will too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back