• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Son Going Overseas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen

MyPTSD Pro
My 22 year old son rang me last night he is going to Afghanistan early next year! He is looking forward to the whole adventure and I am proud of him!
But I will be worried sick and I hope he doesnt come back messed in the head like his Dad did from an overseas duty!
Jen

Oh wow what a coincidence, my brother Colin is going over there soon too. We just found out about a week ago. He's all excited but Mum isn't. Dad and Travis have both been over there, it's no vacation. Anyways Jen good luck, I'm sure Mum and others will be around if you ever need to vent about it or are worried for your son. I wish the best for him.

Thanks Evie yeh it all seems a big adventure but as you said its no vacation!
Jen

Oh dear Jen. Well I suppose your son will learn it is not so exciting once there. I do understand your concern, I was worried sick when Travis was over there, and not too pleased to find out my Colin is being deployed as well. Honestly I wanted to shake him when he said how thrilled he was to go! There was something on the Canadian news this evening about Canada's commitment to Afghanistan, the Prime Minister was speaking, but truthfully I couldn't bear to watch it. As Evie said, I wish the best for your son (and mine). I suppose we have to let them live their own lives and make their own decisions. However, as we both know what the consequences of going OS can be, it is difficult to let go, isn't it?

Yes Kathy he says he will be in constant contact with us and yep he is thrilled! But yep it will be a worry until they come home. He is going early next year when is your son going?

Colin is leaving the beginning of February. Yes that is one nice thing about modern technology, you may email and chat with them often, many of the younger ones even have blogs now. I have a feeling Colin may have a blog.

My boy will be leaving early Feb as well Kath we probably shouldnt go in to much detail as the area they are going to on here?
They are both in different Defence Forces I think my son will only be with the Aussies I am not sure yet?
Jen

Kathy and Jen, I only have a civilian's perspective on war so I can't say wha it's like for soldiers but it can't be good...as you already know...But I just want to say that I hope that both your sons come home safely and without too much damage.

Thank you for the good thoughts RD. I can't imagine being a civilian in a war zone, my heart goes out to you. Jen, that is a coincidence that they are both going at the same time, perhaps Australia and Canada are on the same schedule as far as sending new personnel? Jim would likely know, I would need to ask him. However, yes perhaps we should not discuss details here. In any event, I do wish your son all the best over there. Is he your only son? I seem to recall you mentioning daughters as well.

Thanks Kathy and all the best for your son as well!
It is a small world you never know:wink:
He is my only son he is 22 and my daughter is 24.
He has been in the airforce for 4 years this will be his first overseas trip and he is so looking forward to it!
Jen

Ah air force, lovely. Travis is also in the air force, though it is called Air Command here. Colin is Land Force (army). I do prefer the air force of the three. Your daughter is Evie's age. How is she going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back