• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Childhood UK Justice system anyone? Reporting historic CSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosey

MyPTSD Pro
Wondering what other's experience of reporting historic CSA has been like.

My experience has not been overly positive, due to red tape I must add not the officers involved.

Was hoping others have had better outcomes and a more positive outcome. Want to restore my faith but feel free to have a grumble too it may make me feel less alone with my anger.

Hello, I also recently reported a 13 year old sexual assault. The officers were amazing and supportive throughout the process and helped me to feel very validated and heard and safe. A much better experience (albeit an emotional one) than I was expecting. However, I never went in expecting anything to come from reporting it - I barely knew the person who did it, only had a first name and a very old address, but they are trying to find him. I asked the police to be honest and they said that there’s rarely enough evidence in these cases for them to take it to court unless there are other cases attached to the person in question, so I never got my hopes up. For me, making it real and disclosing that it happened after thirteen years of silence was therapy enough for me and I was offered some therapeutic support aswell which I found very useful. What were your hopes or expectations about the process?

I don't trust the police and they are a corrupt institution as far as I am concerned so I wouldn't ever go through this process and for me it is too long ago etc etc. But I do know there are good police officers who do really try in amongst the bad apples so I would say I think it depends on where you live and basically luck.

I reported for historic csa - back in 2017. The police were great in relation to how they were with me , how they conducted the interviews etc - i always felt believed. Weren’t great at keeping me updated. I contacted Victim Support and was allocated an ISVA (independant sexual violence advisor) and she was amazing and regularly chased the police , got me answers etc. My abuser had moved abroad so interpol had to be involved. Unfortunately the police in the country refused to question the abuser without him being charged but CPS wouldn’t charge without more info or unless he was questioned- it was so so frustrating and made me poorly. The CPS declined to charge - i was advised of this in autumn 2019 ( just over 2 years since i’d gone to the police) . I appealed twice - the case had not met the 2 parts criteria ( used for all cases) , however on my 3rd and final appeal it was still decided not to charge but the lawyer felt it only failed to meet 1 criteria - due to the law in 1970s / 80s ( this specific law changed for the better in 1992 ). So i was devastated, angry - couldn’t put into words how i felt. I did meet with the CPS lawyer at the start if this year and they talked me through their rationale / the law etc. That was even harder than giving the police interview but im glad i did it cos i could also let them know how much i felt they had let me down. My only way to take any action on my abuser would be through a civil case.
Anyways , ive probably gone into too much detail , i wanted to share my experience- thankfully i have an amazing partner, amazing friends and an amazing therapist who all supported me throughout.

Hello, I also recently reported a 13 year old sexual assault. The officers were amazing and supportive throughout the process and helped me to feel very validated and heard and safe. A much better experience (albeit an emotional one) than I was expecting. However, I never went in expecting anything to come from reporting it - I barely knew the person who did it, only had a first name and a very old address, but they are trying to find him. I asked the police to be honest and they said that there’s rarely enough evidence in these cases for them to take it to court unless there are other cases attached to the person in question, so I never got my hopes up. For me, making it real and disclosing that it happened after thirteen years of silence was therapy enough for me and I was offered some therapeutic support aswell which I found very useful. What were your hopes or expectations about the process?
I am so sorry that the legal system will probably not get you the justice that you deserve. But its great to hear that you took such a brave step to report it. I am also pleased that the police appear to have handled it all well.

My case is somewhat different. I reported my abuser after some 30 years on the back of big government campaigns. I had a very similar experience of the police being extremely supportive. My case couldn't go to court despite the police and cps agreeing to his guilt. The law of the time of my rapes and abuse meant he slipped through a loophole. A few years after the case the guy was picked up by a paedophile hunting group, again he got off as that police department won't cooperate with hunting groups.

After seeing the video of the group doing a citizens arrest i tried to get my case reopened. I The uks right to appeal came into place a few months before my cps decision was made , it was not fully explained to me at the time and could have gotten him to court. I asked for special circumstances to the deadline however got a reply that due to it being outside of the deadline it would be ' an abuse to the accused who would be expecting appeals within the time frame' . The law in my case is protecting him, and not me. I have now written to top UK government officials in attempt to change the laws where know child rapists are given the right to carry on hurting children under the legal systems protection.

I am trying to see if anyone else has had similar experiences to throw some more cases at the law makers.

Reactions: Mee
@rosey , thank you for replying / commenting on my post on your original thread. You are being so strong in standing up for your rights and yep the law sounds an ass when you read about your experience. Whilst our cases are similar in many ways - from the legal perspective they do differ. My abuser is in another country - and he is protected there as the countries police wouldn’t co-operate due to statutes of limitations ( which on sexual crimes thankfully we don't have in the uk) . Apparently there are no other complaints made against him either - another reason for non co-operation and reason for CPS to not progress. So whilst I'm not one to give up , if I'm honest i cant see my case being of any help. Im happy to know your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back