• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Weighted Blanket

• Thread starter Deleted member 1860
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1860

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone else uses a weighted blanket for either insomnia or anxiety relief.

My therapist uses one on me during sessions. It's amazing how the weight calms me instantly!

Weighted blankets are most commonly used for those with autism spectrum disorders. However, they are helpful to those with anxiety, insomnia, ptsd, etc. Many of the websites that make the blankets are geared toward providing blankets for children, but these blankets can be beneficial to those of any age.

I'm excited because I asked for one for my birthday and my dad said I could get one! I just need to call the blanket company next week to determine the specifics of my blanket (many sites custom make your blanket...size, weight, material, etc, so they aren't exactly cheap!)

Right now I pile on the blankets and wear a very heavy cable-knit sweater to weigh me down at night. I'm glad to be getting my own blanket as I hope it helps with my parasomnia as well.

Does anyone else use a weighted blanket?

Hugs,
SOL

Hello SOL, have you got your blanket yet? How do you like it?

I was very interested in your post. I have never heard of such a blanket but it makes perfect sense and is something I've felt the need for before. At night I sometimes feel I need to be sandwiched between the bed base and the mattress. I feel a strong need for the weight of the bed on top or me or to be wedged in a box. Sounds a bit crazy but its what I feel I've instinctively needed. The closet I've got is pushing my bed into the corner of a room so its got walls all round to put my back against. I also but a piece of foam on top of my head.

I look forward to hearing if your blanket is working for you.

Claire

I have used weighted snakes/ tubes with autistic children to settle their nervous system. For me I use a cashmere blanket wrapped around me ,when I am in bed to soothe me.

Hi Claire,

I haven't even ordered the blanket yet! But procrastination has paid off in this instance as the website I'm ordering from is having a holiday sale with free matching weighted lap pad. I picked out my fabric, now I just have to decide on how heavy I want the blanket.

It is custom made, so it may take up to five weeks to receive my blanket after I place the order. Other websites have pre-made blankets but the options (fabric, weight, size, etc) are limited.

I FINALLY got my blanket yesterday. It is great for soothing, but not so much for sleep as I feel trapped under the weight when in bed. (This is likely related to the nature of my trauma) I use it while sitting in a chair or reclining, and love how calming it is. My blanket is less than the recommended weight of 10% of your body weight +1lb, so if anyone else is going to get one, be sure how much weight is right for you!

When I first tried out the blanket, I thought I got one that was too heavy. However, after some use, I realized it's too heavy for sleep, but perfect for calming during the day. So I guess for me, it's not a one size for all purposes blanket!

For sleep, it's more about pressure rather than weight for me. Hence why I wear tight clothes to bed. At least this way I don't feel trapped when I try to toss and turn in my sleep!

Weighted covers sound very interesting. I'll think a bit about it, maybe they could be good for me, too :)

Currently I'm not using a weighted blanket, but I found out that I really like that one set of rather scratchy, rough bedsheets that we have. It feels good to get 'intense' sensory input from the blanket. I often lie there moving my arms and head slightly to feel the roughness even more. It's calming. It feels safe.

I have a heavy blanket that is lined with sheep skin and I have found it to be very comforting, but I had never thought of the weight of it as having any value. I will be interested to learn how you like your new blanket when ya get it. Good luck.

I sleep better with heavier bedding. I discovered this after sleeping at my sons house for the first time under a feather duvet. So I decided to treat myself to a feather duvet, cotton sheets, duvet cover & a bed throw.

The first night I felt so much more secure, slept much sounder & felt happier going to bed. This has continued & although i still have insomnia when i do sleep i am more relaxed.

Hi SOL,
I too have a weighted blanket. It is a long story, but I ordered it from overseas in November 2010 and it finally arrived in November 2011!! So I have only had it a few weeks, but I love it.

I use it at night on top of my duvet. I love the weight - it is very heavy 10lbs. I did try using it directly on me under the duvet but find that less comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back