• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What’s going well in therapy for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought it would be really cool to have a post about the good that we’re doing!

For me, I’ve learned a lot from my previous therapy and how I want to show up differently to be more productive. I’m not obsessed with what my new t thinks about me and feel he cares which is awesome. I’m being very direct and open and while I’ll sometimes write here what I want to say to him, I’ve always actually said it to him as well. I speak openly about how anxious I get there and that has really helped lessen it over the weeks. While I did have one session that was all small talk it really helped create some space the next time to say things I haven’t said yet. I am also showing up differently and saying new things, being more myself there. I’m also able to set my own email boundaries and tell myself “you know, I want to write to him about this but it can totally wait” because I don’t want therapy to permeate my entire week like it does if I sort of extend the session with email. Although if I really needed to say something mid-week I would. So I’m proud of how I’m doing and have confidence that I will allow myself to be more vulnerable over time with him.

way to go @UnicornSightings

My therapy yesterday was really productive. I was in a place where I opened-up about my past. I wasn't that brave because during the session I was 'leaving the room' so to speak. She had to yell my name to bring me back, I was there the entire time but I was in the void when recalling my stuff. But I trust her, she has my back and is looking out for me. A strange feeling.

I had a really hard and very discouraging session this week.

I need help badly with a medical situation approaching quickly. My Therapist was intending to make it a real working session in preparation for this test coming up. He did everything he could to try to put me at ease, but regardless of his efforts, I just couldn't work it out. I feel as though I ruined the session and the only chance I had to practise the tools I've learned.

The good part... he never pushes an agenda. He did his best this week, but didn't let on on any way that this was going no where. He is very in tune with his clients and so will always take as much time as necessary (at least 30 +min past the hour sometimes) to give the help/support needed - whatever that might be. I probably owe thousands of dollars by now that he never charges for.

He and I have had our issues from time to time, but I'm never pushed in a direction I don't wish to go.

He's also very protective of his clients. It's reassuring to see someone you trust rise up on your behalf. Whatever the issue is.

So...bad week...but very compassionate therapist. Validated me and kept the mood exactly as it needed to be given my condition.

I'm very thankful I have the therapist I do.

My t may have finally gotten me to understand that the things I did to stay alive may possibly have been due to outside force rather than my poor decision making and willing compliance

I'm still not entirely convinced but I admitted it was a possibility for the first time so she's doing a happy dance So i guess it's a win!

I'm doing better at handling my anxiety. I don't go right into panic mode about things anymore.

I also think therapy has been a huge help with my recent loss

Emdr is going well despite how messed up I tend to be the week following. I have actually fixed one negative self belief and am currently working on a few more. I don’t blame myself for some trauma stuff that I used to blame myself on. I have gotten better at my arrival routine. I used to panic and need someone to chat with. I no longer need that. I can even sit in a different part of the waiting room without freaking out! My relationship with my T has grown. I used to worry that I might break some sort of rule and lose my privileges of emailing her between sessions. I guess there wasn’t really a rule to break. She responds quickly on the days right after emdr. She is always willing to give me reassurance if I just need to know she is out there. She has started to say some supportive stuff that is validating and teaching me that it is okay to be angry.

This is more couples therapy versus trauma therapy, but there has been a huge improvement in my relationship due to therapy.

I confronted my T about some things I felt he got wrong and he was very open and receptive about it, which made me feel more comfortable when I was feeling like ditching therapy.

Unlike with previous therapists, I trust my T 100 percent not to think I am looking for attention. I behave oddly at times, but she never judges me for it, just helps me ground and regain control. It's so safe. I am willing to let her see all of me, good and bad and in turn I am still being accepted for me which is helping my self esteem.

I trust her. Like completely trust her now. Only took me over a year to be able to say that confidently, but I no longer question what she thinks of me & I don’t feel so afraid to tell her things. Thank goodness she’s patient with me. I can sometimes recognize when “little me” comes out & in my mind I can tuck her back in safely & let her know that I’ve got this now.

Therapy with my son has been super helpful. To have someone back me up & be on my side for a change is helping him to see he can no longer get away with his behavior & I have seen improvements & effort on his part.
Yoga therapy has done wonders for me as far as being able to manage my anxiety. Just becoming more aware of myself & my feelings....& learning that even when things feel uncomfortable (yoga poses, life, situations, etc), I can breathe & know that the discomfort doesn’t last forever & get through it. It’s also taught me to pay attention when there’s too much discomfort & learn when to back off (same thing...Yoga poses, life, situations, etc.). So much of what I’ve learned in yoga can be applied to so much in life. Compassion for myself is huge!!!

After a very difficult week, and seeing the T, yesterday, I woke up today, finally feeling 'safe' with the T. I feel like I have stepped into a new stage in therapy...like we will be able to address some harder issues and it will be OK. I think of therapy as being positive, today, and not a dreadful necessity . Something has changed, in my head, for the good and I am looking forward to our next session.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back