• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

not right now- but soon. Little Richard Tutti Frutti. Loud and proud. He died today, he was 87.

You could argue that this was the first Rock song ever, and he would. Rock and Roll was given that name by Allen Freid in 1951 but Richard was already living it live and onstage. He recorded it in New Orleans in 1955.
Fun Facts: He had performed it many many times on stage in New Orleans, but with lyrics that wouldn't sell to a less bawdy crowd and definitely would have turned away any major labels.
Tutti Frutti was originally something along the lines of:
"If it's tight, it's alright
If it's greasy, it makes it easy"

If he hadn't recorded that song in a way that would get air time, we wouldn't have heard Chuck Berry sing "I'm a one-eyed cat, thieven in a seafood store" or any of the great double entendres kids dug back when Rock was still innocent-HAH!
Tutti Frutti Aw Rudy folks!

Chuck Berry sing "I'm a one-eyed cat, thieven..............
that was not a correct statement in post 4301

It was big Joe Turner, not Chuck, although several artists did versions, including Chuck, and shamefully Bill Haley and the Comets released a cover at the same time Joe Turner released his version. I was mistaken thinking that the "colored" version was Chuck, you never hear it on the radio. It shows the inherent racism of the times, if you wanted mom and dad to let you bring it in the house it had to have a white guy on the cover. The Joe Turner version is better, not because he was African American, because it was real, even though that particular song was a great example of how a song had to be toned down to get recorded in those days.

Back