• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

You Know You've Been Dissociating/being Absent Minded When...

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you remember just the angle of sunlight & heat and are surprised later there were actually people.

And you remember little details, seemingly not fitting with anything else, about them, too.

But you're still surprised someone asked 'Are you alright'. Why would I not be, it's (too) warm & there's the sun, of course I am.

When you're looking for something but you can't remember what it is....so you just keep looking and hope if you see it, it will jog your memory. Which usually doesn't happen but you've found the scissors you were looking for last month.Unfortunately you've already bought new ones. *face palm*

When you have to make a shopping list for one thing. Then you go and leave the lonely one item shopping "list" that only says "milk" on it at home and come back with 3 bags of shopping you don't need and still no milk.

You have to make a list if things you need to do other wise they will never get done. The list includes have a shower, write essay and eat food. How the heck have I not dropped out/been asked to leave uni yet?

When my partner says "you're doing it again"
What the heck am I doing? I'm just sitting here quietly drinking my cold cup of tea.
"You stopped talking in the middle of a sentence"
What?!? What the hell was I saying? Was it important? Hold on when did you get back from work?
*looks at me with sympathy* "it's ok, we can talk about it later"
Talk about what?
Smh poor guy has a lot to put up with.

When you're microwaving the cup of tea for the third (or is it fourth?) time and figure you may as well make a fresh one. Which you leave to go cold.

When you go to bed at 11pm and wonder what you're doing sat on the toilet at 2am freezing cold and wondering if you've been there the entire time.

When you're getting dressed and you can't remember if you actually had that shower or were just about to go for it so you pat your head to see if your hair is wet.

Go outside for a cig but forget to take the bin out. So you go back inside to get the bin and find yourself outside smoking again...without the bin bag.

Starting work on an assignment to find that you've already done the plan and the reading for it but you hadn't a clue that you've done any of that already. Or you go "yeah that's done" to find that you only did it in your head and not in actuality so you have a mad rush to catch up.

When you are out to dinner with friends, a sensitive subject comes up, and when one of the people did not 'hear' you clearly and goes on the attack, and at some point you realize you were not there, went into your head, don't remember if you said anything, but are very clear about thinking this woman is having a conversation with herself... she did not hear me...... one of my major triggers, not being heard.... I even take that into my sculpting, none of my 'people' have ears.... I never put ears on my subjects.... but right now my head is pounding, because I must have gotten really angry , adrenaline headache..... I just went away when the aggression started..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back