1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Doctor-assisted Death For Those Living With Ptsd

Discussion in 'News, Politics & Debates' started by anthony, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Stickler

Stickler I'm a VIP

My worries are similar to @Thematrix. Assisted suicide is always going to be way more cost-efficient than offering treatment. Regardless of whether it's a for-profit system or a state-run system, that cheapness factor is going to appeal to the decision-makers.

That's why I find assisted suicide in general worrisome. I approve of letting terminally ill people choose when it's time to go... I am just really afraid that will turn into a pressure to do oneself in from insurers, bureaucrats, or even family members.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...r-belgian-euthanized-after-botched-sex-change

...I feel so bad for this FtM transman, though...inadequate blood supply and necrosis is a serious possibility when a phallus is crafted...plus no feeling in the neopenis.
    Most XX men do not have a full phallus constructed AFAIK, they go for prostheses or what testosterone therapy gives them.

He already had PTSD, but that was not the deciding factor that caused him to end his life. It was body dysphoria.

ladee, Junebug and Ed Norton like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Junebug

Junebug I'm a VIP Premium Member

Yes I think it's about money. I read today 'kill the pain, not the person'.

That reminds me from what I've heard, from the person nearest a T, that we all need rather 'assisted living, assisted loving'. :(

shimmerz, intothelight and scout86 like this.
  4. Oasis

Oasis Seize the day

This is a difficult one. When suicidal I really wanted to die but it passed. A terminally ill patient will have a bad day but the next may be amazing. No one should play God with a human life even your own life. A dog is different they eat , poop, sleep, fetch their ball enjoy love, even though they are part of the family they are simpler than a human. A doctor is human they make mistakes errors of judgement for them to say whether you live or die scary. Mind you I do not trust doctors part of my ptsd ......

Knak likes this.
  5. Mit

Mit Well-Known Member

When I tried to end my life it was an intensely private, personal time. I didn't want anyone else to be with me, or to be part of it.

The thought of sharing that time, the total loss of all hope and self worth, let alone pre planning it just seems impossible and totally bizarre.

Attempting suicide because of depression (in my case) is a world apart from euthanasia because of a terminal illness isn't it?

On the night I gave up the fight the last thing I would of done is ring the clinic and ask them when they could bump me off. And this being the UK with its over stretched NHS, there would be a six month waiting list!

joeylittle, Junebug, Stickler and 2 others like this.
  6. Oasis

Oasis Seize the day

Yes with the nhs you are more likely to die waiting for someone to bump you off !! Cynical sorry @Mit

Mit, Junebug, Stickler and 1 other person like this.
  7. EveHarrington

EveHarrington I'm a VIP Premium Member

On a bad day....

Uh huh, ok, where do I sign? I'm ready to go. I'm a burden; the world is better off without me. And so on.

On any other day...

What the heck? Assisted suicide? NO! Good golly, pass this into law, then if we elect that dictator couldn't you see the state encouraging the mentally disabled to "give up"? It's a slippery slope.

hodge, Changeling, Oasis and 2 others like this.
  8. EveHarrington

EveHarrington I'm a VIP Premium Member

And I don't want to sound....cruel. However, if you are functional enough to campaign for assisted suicide because your own personal mental illness is horrendous, then dare I say you are indeed functional (that is not completely unfunctional) to some degree. Couldn't that bit of functionality be put toward healing? Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not minimizing her suffering in the least. Rather, I know that when I was at my worst (which was pretty bad, not even able to accomplish the very basics of self care), I never would have been able to campaign for (anything).

hodge, anthony, Oasis and 1 other person like this.
  9. Justmehere

Justmehere Defying the odds Moderator Premium Member

There are many unintended consequences that should be considered when thinking of making this legal.

For example, a recent study was done that shows when people have back up plans, they tend not to accomplish their goals as much. The study is referenced here: http://www.bustle.com/articles/1279...our-goals-study-shows-no-matter-how-good-your

Researchers, mental health care providers, and patients all have the goal of reducing or curing PTSD symptoms. Because there are no other legal options for dealing with the symptoms.

If researchers, mental health care providers, and patients all have the back up plan of being able to end the symptoms through the legal death of the patient, it may make it less likely to achieve the goal of effective treatments and maybe even a cure.

Id patients know they have the option of legally assisted suicide, many will be less likely to invest in the treatment fully and reach the goal of symptom reduction just because they have the "back up plan" of being able to get hell to die.

One of many possible consequences of making this legal.

Junebug and Stickler like this.
  10. shimmerz

shimmerz My silence spoke a thousand words you never heard Premium Member

They won't pass it. Big pharma wouldn't let it happen. How would the executives pay for their Mazeratis MC12's without us?

lol. Don't even worry about it.

scout86 and ladee like this.
  11. Junebug

That's what I meant too @Justmehere . Singular focus.

@shimmerz , I think they have passed it. What they've yet to determine are the guidelines (sorry- can't find the words). Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean? I know they're speaking of potentially including directives 'in advance' for dementia, and allowing (potentially) 'mature minors'. I actually don't feel that they will exclude mental illness, if 2 or more doctor's agree, & they are competent of mind. They could fight it's unconstitutional, to recognize some suffering but not others'. Even now, they're saying in the event of any required inquiry it will be postmortem.

I think it's because people don't feel that someone will have their back, too.

What amazes me here on the forum, is that peoples' responses here are quite different than the (so-called) 'healthy' general public out here. Or at least what they are publishing. They've created a Vulnerable Person's act but the person who just got it was supposedly covered under it & they overturned it for them (their request). They've got a publication ban on details.

I do know I've had people feel/ say I am quite expendable, they have said most often specifically because I am single, not a mother etc. Obviously I'm not a person of any import occupationally or by birthright or status, so yes that I get.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  12. ladee

ladee All the hard work has been worth it ! Premium Member

Are there any articles on how the Dr's them selves feel or think about this. After all, If I can't do it, why would I ask someone else to. I would be interested if anyone has knowledge of what the Dr's say. I would like to read their take on it.

Oasis, Junebug and scout86 like this.
  13. Junebug

Yes I think quite a few don't want any part in it. I believe if they don't subscribe to it they're required to refer to someone who does.

There was a petition.

Ya involving anyone else is gross.

For years here though it's harder to have (requires a 'fight') to continue treatment, versus not. Even of the Do Not Attempt Resuscitation orders (there are 4), only one allows for care such as antibiotics, or casting a broken bone (not curative or even related to primary condition but for comfort). And a DNAR is totally different, because person the has 'died' already. But, I think they should have the comfort for eg of treating infections/ pneumonia etc.