• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Ptsd From Family Trauma & Tbi

Status
Not open for further replies.

JumpinJan

New Here
Hi All,

I new here - recently my therapist diagnosed me with a moderate case of PTSD which I have probably been suffering from for the last 7 years or so...

What she says makes sense and I'm slowly becoming aware of what triggers my PTSD...

I have had 3 significant triggers in the last week and I don't know what to do with myself...

I self medicate with food and have gained way too much weight...

I'm on lexapro and trazodone (I see a psychiatrist)... I'm also in weekly therapy and try to do the things my therapist says I should do - like art therapy and signing up for a yoga class....

Yoga class is today but I'm so overwhelmed with my emotions I just want to stay in my condo and watch TV and eat myself into oblivion...

I'm so tired of being so overwhelmed and lost and it feels like nobody understands me or can give me strategies that will help me cope when I'm in the middle of a major attack...

I do a guided meditation each night, I try to exercise daily, I just don't know what else to do...

I feel so discouraged....and there is no one to hold my hand or comfort me....

I have good friends but nobody who "gets it"....

What do I do?

Oh - I don't have TBI - I have PTSD because I lost my wonderful husband in an accident - he didn't die but he has severe TBI and many physical injuries - he lives in a nursing home and recognizes me and can talk but he doesn't make much sense... Long story with lots of details I don't want to share right now

Welcome to the forum!!!

there will be a lot of people who understand what you are going through.

I wish you all the best. :)

Thank you Ghosty...

This has now become an extremely horrible day. I adopted an adult rescue dog 1 year after my husband's accident. She has been my rock, my best friend, my life saver and the keeper of my sanity....

I have had her for almost 7 years and she was my everything....

Today she was having a hard time breathing and couldn't handle the stairs... I took her to the emergency vet and they found a large tumor on her heart that was bleeding out....

I had to put her down to keep her from suffering too much.

Now I feel so alone and lost... :-(

Oh no, that is aweful!!! I'm so sorry to hear that. Our animals are oftentimes our rocks in terrible situations!!!!!

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Ghosty :hug:s

I'm sorry to hear about your dog, @JumpinJan. I am sure she was incredibly special, and knew she was loved. I know that won't make you feel better right now, but try and remember that you've got a whole forum-full of support here, if you need it.

@JumpinJan Welcome and I am sorry for the loss of your dog. PTSD symptoms increase in times of stress and this sounds like a really stressful time for you. Having a therapist that specializes in trauma can be extremely helpful. One of the best things about this site is the members here really do "get it" and the support here is very helpful. Post and reach out as you feel comfortable and I hope this site is helpful to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back