• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

A thread for scientific nerdiness

The antibiotics I started today are formulated with a beta-lactamase inhibitor!

Beta-lactamase is an enzyme produced by some strains of bacteria that essentially inactivates beta-lactam antibiotics (e.g. penicillin), thus giving the bacterial strain antibiotic resistance.
The beta-lactamase inhibitor is therefore included in the medication to overcome this antibiotic resistance.

I just found this really fascinating - I hadn't realised they were augmenting antibiotics with such compounds.
It's also pretty terrifying to think how much of a threat antibiotic resistance is becoming.

Do your part - make sure you always finish prescribed courses of antibiotics!
And for all you omnivores out there, try to buy only antibiotic-free meat if you're able :)
Read this and you may never eat chicken again

Neat!

I attended a lecture by a NASA scientist a few weeks ago who works on the Mars rover missions and is responsible for determining what will be on the 2020 rover!
It was pretty surreal hearing him talk about the candidates for landing locations and that it'll be his boss' boss who makes the final decision about where the rover lands.