• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Undiagnosed Afraid to revisit…

LadyNellifer

New Here
Hi All,

I’m new here… I’ve been seeing a general counsellor who went through a PTSD assessment with me which indicated that I have PTSD (as long suspected) though she is not medically qualified to give the diagnosis.

When I was between the ages of 14 and 16 I was groomed and then repeatedly sexually abused, manipulated and lied to by someone I trusted. I bottled this up (developing temporary agoraphobia, panic attacks and feeling generally unsafe in the world) until I was 21 when I essentially had an emotional breakdown. At this time I started counselling and had 97 sessions over a 2 year period. This allowed me to report the abuse to the police (unfortunately insufficient evidence and restrictions based on the law at the time led to no conviction.) I then attended a tribunal (as the person who abused me had previously been my teacher) and they were struck off from teaching, this then received local media coverage which was somewhat traumatic in itself.

Feeling I had a sense of closure I considered the matter dealt with but over the years I have had several flare ups of crippling bouts of anxiety or depression where I couldn’t pin point the root cause. Recently my family discussed my trauma with a young family member which has seemed to trigger it all again, leading to a host of unpleasant symptoms and my latest bout of counselling.

Over the years I have struggled with anxiety, depression, headaches/migranes, flash backs, insecurity, panic attacks, low self esteem and a dependence on alcohol (and in my earlier years, escapism in the form of drug taking/reckless behaviour).

Talking to my counsellor now I feel I have re triggered post traumatic stress disorder which is causing my current head aches, insomnia, nausea, flashbacks/nightmares and general anxiety/unease. She thinks that although counselling (talking therapy with a youth counsellor) helped me at the time, I probably need a qualified trauma counsellor to help me deal with the trauma itself at this point.

I have joined this group because I am feeling pretty awful, overwhelmed and scared to go through it all again. Not sure what it is I am looking for, but reassurance might be a good start!

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Hi All,

I’m new here… I’ve been seeing a general counsellor who went through a PTSD assessment with me which indicated that I have PTSD (as long suspected) though she is not medically qualified to give the diagnosis.

When I was between the ages of 14 and 16 I was groomed and then repeatedly sexually abused, manipulated and lied to by someone I trusted. I bottled this up (developing temporary agoraphobia, panic attacks and feeling generally unsafe in the world) until I was 21 when I essentially had an emotional breakdown. At this time I started counselling and had 97 sessions over a 2 year period. This allowed me to report the abuse to the police (unfortunately insufficient evidence and restrictions based on the law at the time led to no conviction.) I then attended a tribunal (as the person who abused me had previously been my teacher) and they were struck off from teaching, this then received local media coverage which was somewhat traumatic in itself.

Feeling I had a sense of closure I considered the matter dealt with but over the years I have had several flare ups of crippling bouts of anxiety or depression where I couldn’t pin point the root cause. Recently my family discussed my trauma with a young family member which has seemed to trigger it all again, leading to a host of unpleasant symptoms and my latest bout of counselling.

Over the years I have struggled with anxiety, depression, headaches/migranes, flash backs, insecurity, panic attacks, low self esteem and a dependence on alcohol (and in my earlier years, escapism in the form of drug taking/reckless behaviour).

Talking to my counsellor now I feel I have re triggered post traumatic stress disorder which is causing my current head aches, insomnia, nausea, flashbacks/nightmares and general anxiety/unease. She thinks that although counselling (talking therapy with a youth counsellor) helped me at the time, I probably need a qualified trauma counsellor to help me deal with the trauma itself at this point.

I have joined this group because I am feeling pretty awful, overwhelmed and scared to go through it all again. Not sure what it is I am looking for, but reassurance might be a good start!

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Hello and welcome to the myptsd.com community. I'm so sorry to hear about everything you've been through. It takes incredible strength to confront past traumas, and I commend you for seeking help and support.

It sounds like you have been through a lot and have already taken significant steps towards healing. Acknowledging the impact of trauma on your life and seeking help from a trauma counselor shows great courage and self-awareness. Dealing with PTSD and its symptoms can be overwhelming, but remember that you are not alone in this journey.

This community is a safe space where you can share your experiences, connect with others who understand what you're going through, and receive support and reassurance. It's important to take care of yourself, and reaching out for help is a positive step forward.

If you feel that you need more specialized support, as your counselor suggested, a trauma counselor can provide you with specific techniques and coping strategies to address your PTSD symptoms and work through the trauma.

Please feel free to explore the different forums on myptsd.com where you can find support related to various aspects of PTSD and CPTSD. You are not alone, and there are people here who genuinely care and want to help you through this difficult time.

Thank you for sharing your story, and remember, there is hope for healing and recovery. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything. You are valued and brave for seeking support.

Welcome to the forum.

That’s a lot to go through. If it helps at all, most people recover from ptsd. Hopefully this forum helps with the healing process and your post traumatic growth:)

Welcome to the forum.

That’s a lot to go through. If it helps at all, most people recover from ptsd. Hopefully this forum helps with the healing process and your post traumatic growth:)
Thank you, I really hope so. I want to recover but as I said, am feeling a little overwhelmed, so thought connecting with people with similar experiences might provide support and healing :)

Back