• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

IBS Anyone else suffer from migraines and/or ibs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on Maxalt for migraines. It works well for me although there are times when it doesn't.

Raising two hands here. Migraines have not been so bad since we got rid of a certain troublesome girl part. I also stay far, far, far from the caffeine.

I went mostly veg about six months ago. I did it because I was seeing a strong link between my moods and my percentage of meat, red meat especially.

As a pleasant side effect, I've not had an "emergency" in a couple months. Ive even stopped automatically scoping out bathrooms.

But the first couple weeks were miserable. Wouldn't advise a sudden change like that even if you think you have a pretty balanced diet!

Which brings up a good point. When you make any change, be sure to discuss it with all your medical professionals! Even your therapist might need to know if you are doing a cleansing diet that weekend. ;)

IBS here... I was taking fiber but switched on the advise on a friend with a Rheumatoligist (spelling?)... due to the allergies more than likely. Basically he said it is detrimental to inhibit voiding foods I may be allergic to... so I'm off the fiber and switched to gut enzyme replacement.... Michaels W-Zymes... and it helps a lot as long as I follow a fairly rigid diet.

But... (doubled back to add) that for people without food allergies, fiber is the cheapest and easiest way to go, I was regulated at 2 in the morning and two in the evening... but some do more, others need less. When I examined my diet a few years ago I found it was fiber defficient.

Never been officially diagnosed as having 'migraines', but I've had excruciatingly painful headaches that lasted for hours since I was probably 13-14.

I get migraines, but not so often since I worked through my trauma issues on an emotional level. I used to take Maxalt for them. I have IBS and it has not gotten much better. I definitely believe these are stress-related illnesses, at least they seem to be triggered by stress.

I have Migraines (common w/out aura) and IBS. I have trauma in the past and have been working through those issues for years through psychotherapy, recently neurofeedback (NeurOptimal, which has helped with the PTSD and is known to help with migraines), and with the occasional help of SSRI's. My emotional states are worst at night, and that is most often when I get migraines. I have noticed that SSRI's (for depression) make me sleep well. They also tweak my digestion. I also noticed that Maxalt-MLT does the same, to a lesser degree. (I have not been taking Maxalt while on SSRI's. Make sure you discuss such a cocktail with your MD/DO). I also have read that Maxalt works with serotonin levels to some degree. Also, most of the serotonin in our body is in our gut. For me, the IBS, Migraines, and emotional states are all tied in together (likely all linked through serotonin to some degree), and it seems reasonable to conclude that IBS, PTSD, and Migraines can be concomitant.

I was diagnosed with migraines for years - completely stress related. My doctor determined that I got tension headaches, which caused migraines. I was on this really awesome pill for it as-needed but it got discontinued. My current doc thinks I get cluster headaches instead, which are even worse, but also tension related. So now I have muscle relaxers that I take when I feel them coming on.

My fiance (also PTSD) has IBS, but I've noticed if I keep him on a decent diet and keep the stress to a minimum, he does a lot better. Strangely - for him it's been increasing the red meat instead of reducing it.

I sometimes get tension headaches. The only way to get rid of them is to rest in a dark room, worst though is the stomach cramps and changes in bowel habits. Shifts from diarhoea to constipation. I think it is the effect of stress on the digestive system :( I found diet did help a bit but still sometimes I get it really bad. The worst though is the chronic tiredness. One of my collegues mention my eyes looked swollen the other day. I am so tired.

I have both. I have been having migraines since I was a teenager, but since the onset of my PTSD (two years ago) I also suffer from IBS. I am very careful with what I eat and it does help but when I am really stressed it flares up.

Yep, I've had bad headaches and migraines since I was a kid. I get them pretty regularly and for all kinds of reasons - stress, changes in barometric pressure, ocular migraines...with and without halo....bleh. I have a very sensitive stomach but not full-blown IBS. When I can afford it, I find craniosacral therapy REALLY reduces migraines/headaches. Otherwise I manage them with caffeine and drugs.

Hi,
I suffered for 18 years with migraines from my late 20's to my late 40's. I don't have IBS. I did find out through a process of elimination that caffeine, even decaffeinated teas and coffee, MSG and wheat caused my migraines. Now that I don't eat wheat or drink caffeine I have not had a single migraine in 3 years. I used to have them weekly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back