• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

IBS Anyone else suffer from migraines and/or ibs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get tension headaches at least once a week, and I also have IBS. Both of these problems have been present for as long as I can remember. I haven't quite figured out yet if my headaches are only stress-related or if there are dietary triggers. Perhaps I should start keeping a diary of the foods I eat and see if there are any connections.

. Perhaps I should start keeping a diary of the foods I eat and see if there are any connections.

It certainly won't hurt or cost you anything to try! Let me know if you find any correlations with food and your migraines! I should add the wheat wasn't instantaneous. It was within 24-48 hrs of ingesting it that I would get the migraine.

I was never given to headaches. After having a 2nd stroke, I developed migraines, the doctor prescribed, "Aggronox," it was awful, I could not function period, my head hurt so bad, I could not think. For some strange reason (I think fear) my husband was very unsupportive, he avoided me, he cooked and ate but, he would not cook for me, he left me alone a lot. My husband has sleep apnea, he has a sleep machine and he has several; none of them seemed to work, he snores so loud that I cannot sleep, I believe that this contributes to my migraines. When a migraine comes on, light bothers me, noise bothers me, I get nauseated, I can't eat. The migraine may last for one month or two, it disappears as suddenly as it came on. I really believe that migraines are brought on mostly by stress. I also believe that stress contributes to cancer (I am a survivor), the best thing to do is try to de-stress your life, I know that it is not an easy thing to do, but it is a necessary thing to do. Try to find some kind of distraction; good movie, a walk, volunteer, do something before it's too late.

I just thought of something that might be helpful! Chocolate gives me headaches, I don't eat lots of it, in-fact, I went 12 or 1 3years without eating any and I'll tell you why; being a cancer survivor, I had stabbing pains in my chest, the doctor suggested that I stop ingesting caffeine (chocolate, tea, colas), guess what, it worked, the chest pains went away. Diet can play a very important role in your health. I drink only decaf tea, I never drink sodas with caffeine, and I seldom eat chocolate. Keeping a diary of foods you eat is a good idea.

Hi Kim and Everyone,

It is amazing how this stress stuff affects us PTSDr's. I have had migraines since a child, IBS since I was ten ( and I agree the dicyclomine brand name: Bentyl I think...works great for me too.) I haven't needed meds as much lately, I just know the foods that are triggers, fats, sugars, mexican, eggs, and try to stay away. Of course stress is the number one rule with my IBS and if that's outta wack, I better have a good book for the bathroom.
I also have Fibromyalgia, but that comes and goes and I deal as best I can. I believe it's all a side effect of a screwed up childhood, and a large helping of an abusive marriage that for me , induced this crap.

But, thank goodness for Good T's, meds, a cat and a daughter I love that help :)

Best,
Shadowbreath

I get them both too :( Once I started the prozac though I used those things as a tool to know when I was stressed...if I physically felt okay I learned to look around and see that was stress-free (or less stress) times.

I don't get migraines very often. But I do have issues in the other department, the moment anxiety kicks in, my stomach acid goes crazy and I'll have heartburn and get the runs, I have already had a stomach ulcer from this from my onset of ptsd, and it was treated. But sometimes it feels like it comes back and I have to start taking pepcid and other antacids again until my anxiety goes down.

It's weird so many of us get migraines. I've had them since I was six years old. I've not noticed any food triggers except soy milk (I guess it's the fermentation process), and I even did a food elimination exercise when I was like ten. I think the correlation between food triggers and migraine is overrated. Things that make them happen in me is.. skipping a meal, changing sleep patterns, crying, smoking and drinking.. So stress can aggravate them, if it's the kind of stress that makes my adrenaline spike suddenly, but stress can also aggravate them in other ways if it effects your daily eating/sleeping habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back