• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Are You More Open & Honest Driving a Car / a Passenger?

Are You More Open & Honest Driving a Car / a Passenger?

• Yes, Driving

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Yes, Passenger

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Yes, Both Driving or Passenger

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • No, Neither

Votes: 13 30.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted for passenger only. I'm still learning to drive and so I concentrate a lot while driving, and talking is hard. It's interesting though that other people have the same thing with driving, I feel sooo much more comfortable speaking in a car. I think you're right Bec, it's not just the eye contact but having your back covered as well. Good point.

I voted for driving as long as traffic isn't heavy. I'm not a good passenger- I need the control of driving. I can talk better when I'm doing something else - driving, walking, etc. it seems to help me focus my thoughts.

If I absolutely have to talk, driving is the ONLY time I do it. I'm in control, I'm calling the shots. And it most definetly helps when you don't have to look at the person you're talking to. Not that I'm shy - I'm kinda aggressive. But nothing pisses me off more than seeing pity in the person's eyes that I'm trying to talk to. So definitely, I like to drive.

Neither for me. I have a strict no talk policy as it distracts and kids lose control of themselves (I never drive without kids in the car). Riding no good either, I am too scared someone is going to drive poorly and am usually scared to death.

driving or being driven in a car make me sick to my stomach if my stomach is empty. When I am driving I am concentrating on the road. It's kind of nerve wrecking sometimes but I've always driven crappy cars so when I get a better one soon it shouldn't be as big of a deal.

I find myself talking to myself, full of anger, about isues that bother me. Not always when someone's with me. There have been a few times I have had flashbacks while driving, and while it doesn't affect my driving, it generally scares the hell out of my passengers!

I am only more open and honest with myself when driving a car but also only when there is noone else in the car. Generally, the only time if have available to be on my own is when driving to and from work and i find it ok to be open and honest with myself but not with others

I am more open as a passenger... for the reasons marlene outlined I guess. Not as a driver, because im an awful driver and still learning... it would be dangerous if I did anything other than try not to kill someone.

I voted for driving, while I don't really care if I'm driving or the passenger been both many times before. I think that I feel like I'm in control as I drive and that makes it easier to be more open and talk about things maybe because I may not have control over what happened but by driving I can feel grounded. And in a sense safer, I don't know just my opinion.

Driving, as I need to be in control. Probably because a friend got jollies out of scaring me while he was driving. I just feel more able to talk while driving. I tend to site see, and space out when a passenger.

I put yes for both driver/passenger. To me when driving/passenger I'm not actually looking at the other person in the car with me, theres no eye contact, and I find it easier to be more open when I'm being distracted by something else. It dos'nt have to be driving, it could be working on a car with someone (distracted by doing something else, working on the car, while talking, no eye contact etc..) Situations like these I find that it's easier to be more open. (I'm very quiet though, so most of the time it's up to the other person to start the conversation.) :o)

This is an interesting question. It is wierd that I am more open in a car in either role.

I agree that it is because of the distraction of the activity and the lack of eye contact. Being able to stare off at something else while digging around in the emotional stuff and issues I face. Maybe it is because it makes the conversation indirect that it puts me at ease and able to open up better.

Maybe this is also why art therapy works so well with me because agian there is another activity going on while I am discussing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back