• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Cooking With Indulgence

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom used to make something she called Glumpkie, which was a Lithuanian recipe using a crepelike pancake and filling it with egg and cottage cheese mixed together. Then she would bake them in the oven, to make sure that the egg was cooked. I sometimes add chives to my filling in them. Oh, and you mix equal parts of egg and cottage cheese for the filling.

Slow Cooker Jamaican Jerk Chicken (Note: Broiler also required, but this is stupendous)

Ingredients
  • 5 lbs. chicken pieces
  • ¼ cup molasses (not black strap)
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • ⅓ cup soy sauce (l use gluten free and/or low sodium)
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 3-4 inches fresh ginger
  • 1 Tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp allspice
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • ¼ tsp nutmeg
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 medium orange
  • 1 medium serrano or jalapeno pepper

Instructions
  1. To a blender add the molasses, vegetable oil, soy sauce, peeled garlic, ginger (cut into chunks, peeled), cinnamon, allspice, thyme, and nutmeg. Blend until smooth. If you want extra hot jerk chicken, add the serrano to the blender, too.
  2. Arrange the chicken pieces in the slow cooker so that they are nestled tightly and as close to the bottom as possible. Pour about ⅔ of the spice rub over the chicken and use your hands to spread it all over the chicken pieces. Save the rest of the spice rub for later use.
  3. Cut the onion into wedges and slice the orange and serrano. Add the onion, orange, and serrano to the slow cooker. Nestle the pieces down in and under the chicken so that they make close contact. Place the lid on the slow cooker, turn it on to high, and let it cook undisturbed for four hours.
  4. After four hours, carefully remove the chicken and place it on a broiler pan or a baking sheet covered with foil. Tongs work best for this as the chicken will be very hot and very delicate. Spread the rest of the spice rub carefully over the surface of the chicken. Adjust the rack in your oven so that the top of the chicken is 4-5 inches below the broiler. Broil on high for about 5 minutes or until the skin is crispy and browned. Watch the chicken closely as all broilers are different. Broilers can quickly burn food because of their high heat and close proximity of the heat source.

Making this one today:

Slow Cooker Green Chicken Chili
Recipe from: Noble Pig | Serves:13-14 cups

Ingredients
· 1-1/2 cups dry great Northern beans

· 4 cups chopped tomatillos

· 8 Anaheim chiles, seeded and chopped (I'm using a can of green chiles)

· 5 jalapenos, seeded, deveined and chopped

· 1 mediumb rown onion, chopped

· 3 Tablespoons minced garlic

· 1 Tablespoonground cumin

· 2 teaspoonsground oregano

· 1 teaspoon ground coriander

· 4 cup slow-sodium chicken broth

· 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken

· 1/4 cup masa harina (corn based trational Mexican flour, but I'm using tapioca starch instead as the thickener)

· 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice

· 1 teaspoon kosher salt

· 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

· As desired:sour cream, lime wedges and green onion for garnish

Directions
· Soak beans over night according to package directions. Drain and add to the bottom of a 6-7 quart slow cooker.

· Add tomatillos, Anaheim chiles, jalapeno, onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, coriander and broth to the slow cooker. Make sure beans remain on the bottom of the slow cooker (do not stir). Cook on high heat for 4-1/2 hours.

· Stir in chicken, masa harina, lime juice, salt and pepper. Cook 30 minutes more.

· Serve each bowl with a dollop of sour cream, a lime wedge and green onion.

Grilled Zucchini and Herbed Goat Cheese Rollups

1 Zucchini squash, sliced thinly lengthwise end to end about 1/8" thick
Spray both sides of each piece with cooking spray and place on grill and grill to tender.
Set aside.

In a small bowl mix together:
1 Pkg Herbed goat cheese softened.
3-4 dashes of Tabasco or pepper sauce to taste
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley

Spread onto the zuchinni slices on once side. Roll them up and serve either warm or cold

Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup, (Slightly Spicy)

Ingredients

1 kilo large full size tomato's
3 large red bell peppers.
3 litres of tomato flavour stock, (the best stock is one made from a sausage and tomato casserole)
2 cloves of garlic crushed and puree'd, do NOT use to much as will overpower the tomato and basil
a large pinch of basil (freshly chopped if available)
salt and pepper to taste
small and I mean small pinch of dried Chili Seeds, crushed and chopped as fine as you can.

Method
In a large stock pot pour the stock in and bring to a light simmer. Score the tomatoes width wise so that the liquid can permeate the skins and peel them off the flesh of the tomato's.

Break the peppers in half do NOT cut them, scoop out the seeds and stalk and coat in olive oil and roast at 220 for 30 minutes.

When roasted add the peppers straight hot into the soup mix.

Simmer for a further 30 minutes to infuse the flavour of the roasted pepper and tomato's together.

Sieve all solids from the stock and leave the liquid simmering on the stove.

Finely chop all solids together and add one large Spanish Onion very, very finely chopped.

Puree with a flat heavy bladed knife the solids and pour back into the soup liquid's, season with fresh basil. Dried will do but does not give the best flavour.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve and enjoy

So on the theme of SOUP

Chicken Noodle (very tasty)

After Sunday Roast (CHICKEN) not (BEEF, LAMB or PORK!!)

Remove all the meat and either consume with roast dinner try and keep a 1/4 of the breast to enhance the soup

Do not waste the vegetable water (APART FROM CABBAGE)

Put all liquids in a Large stock pot after straining veg.

Chop into quarters 2 large Spanish onions, do NOT peel just plop into the stock with skins attached, break the chicken carcass into 4 pieces and drop into the stock.
any carrot peels, plop into stock.

Bring to the Boil

Leave to simmer for 2 hours on a very low heat.

Strain all solids out of the liquid and THROW AWAY!

Leave for fat to congeal on top of liquid. approx 4 hours.

Take a sheet of kitchen towel, place on top of fat and lift off. repeat as many times to remove all fatty deposits from on top of the liquid.

Very finely chop some chives and the 1/4 chicken breast as small as you can.

Put Meat solids and chives into stock and bring back to the boil.

Grab a packet of the cheapest instant noodles, throw away the sauce sachet.

Crush the noodle inside the bag as small as can, scrunch when boiling into the liquid - 5-7 minutes until just soft. - Serve immediately and enjoy, salt and pepper again to tastes.

Butternut Squash and Chili Soup.

1 large butternut squash
2 large white potato's
2 medium white onions
freshly chopped medium chili peppers x 2 (de-seeded)

Peel and dice the butternut and potato's discard all skins.

Lightly fry in a little olive oil for approx 30 minutes or until softened

Blend with a hand blender, add 3 pints boiling water

bring to the boil and re blend to remove any left over lumps,

add chili's finely chopped.

salt and pepper to taste.

AA hearty Creamy Soup for the winter.

Lots of Love SANTA!

I have a bag of assorted beans that I plan to make some soup out of in the near future. I love bean soup. I use chicken broth, potatoes, celery and carrots, along with a medium onion and some basil and parsley. This will be the first time I try mixed beans, as I usually use just lentils. I'm looking forward to trying something new!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back