• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Diamonds In The Rough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diamonds in the Rough

Decisive Element in Classroom
(Leadership)
Haim Ginott

I've come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child's life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or de-humanized.

Diamonds in the Rough

The Quitter
(Journey)
Robert Service

When you're lost in the Wild, and you're scared as a child,
And Death looks you bang in the eye,
And you're sore as a boil, it's according to Hoyle
To cock your revolver and...die.
But the Code of a Man says: "fight all you can,"
and self-dissolution is barred.
In hunger and woe, oh, it's easy to blow...
It's the hell-served-for-breakfast that's hard.
"You're sick of the game!" Well, now, that's a shame.
You're young and you're brave and you're bright.
"You've had a raw deal!" I know - but don't squeal,
Buck up, do your damndest, and fight.
It's the plugging away that will win you the day,
So don't be a piker, old pard!
Just draw on your grit; it's so easy to quit:
It's the keeping-you-chin-up that's hard.
It's easy to cry that you're beaten - and die;
It's easy to crawfish and crawl;
But to fight and to fight when hope's out of sight -
Why, that's the best game of them all!
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try - it's dead easy to die
It's the keeping-on-living that's hard.

Diamonds in the Rough

Hand of Cards
(Journey)
Woodrow Wilson Sayre

Each one of us is dealt a hand of cards by life. It's not so much the hand you get dealt but what you do with what you've got.

Diamonds in the Rough

Walk With Your Head
(Journey)
René Daumal

A fellow climber with more experience than I has told me, "When your feet will no longer carry you, you have to walk with your head." And it's true. Perhaps it's not in the natural order of things, but isn't it better to walk with your head than to think with your feet, as happens only too often?

Diamonds in the Rough

Frantic Pace
(Journey)
Thomas Merton

To allow one's self to be carried away be a multitude of conflicting concerns, to surrender to too many demands, to commit oneself to too many projects, to want to help everyone in everything is to succumb to violence; frenzy destroys our capacity for peace. It destroys the fruitfulness of our work, because it kills the root of inner work which makes work fruitful.

Now Anthony, I thought of this quote while reading your post on just how you're feeling and have been. Please don't misunderstand as I'm not suggesting or assuming that any frantic pace has contributed whatsoever, and is now causing you any problems.

The reason why I am posting it is to remind you of what you already know, that a frantic pace won't help you in getting well. So again, take all the time necessary to get well and don't think twice about it. As you know many people here think quite highly of you and your family, and want nothing but the best for you'all.

Na, not offended at all. I like reading these posts Hope... and "The Quitter" is something that everyone here should read IMHO, because to read that when your in the down, is so reflective and accurate of the PTSD cycle, as is many cycle's within life itself, though others we can step out of more easily than PTSD.

I do need to monitor myself with work... as it does pileup around my ears sometimes, then I rush into it all to get it done, then fall over. I have learnt to some degree, yet I still continue to push myself at every given moment, because I am still finding new boundaries constantly. I often though finding those boundaries in the beginning was hard, but let me just say, I think finding those newer, further boundaries once your really healing and managing PTSD can often be harder again, because you have to push so far before you get a reaction from your brain, and when you do, its too late to step back and rest. Its an interesting journey to say the least. Thank you for your concern though Hope, it is good to know people are watching my own back for me as well. Thank you.

Diamonds in the Rough

Educate a Human Being
(Ancient Chinese proverb)
Author Unknown

Those who want to leave an impression for one year should plant corn; those who want to leave an impression for ten years should plant a tree; but those who want to leave an impression for 100 years should educate a human being.

Diamonds in the Rough

If You Judge Safety
(Values)
Colin Fletcher

But if you judge safety to be the paramount consideration in life you should never, under any circumstance, go on long hikes alone. Don't take short hikes alone, either - or, for that matter, go anywhere alone. And avoid at all costs such foolhardy activities as driving, falling in love, or inhaling air that is almost certainly riddled with deadly germs. Wear wool next to the skin. Insure every good and chattel you possess against every conceivable contingency the future might bring, even if the premiums half-cripple the present. Never cross an intersection against a red light, even when you can see that all roads are clear for miles. And never, of course, explore the guts of an idea that seems as if it might threaten one of your more cherished beliefs. In your wisdom you will probably live to a ripe old age. But you may discover, just before you die, that you have been dead for a long, long time.

Diamonds in the Rough

We Must Learn To Reawaken
(Values)
Henry David Thoreau

We must learn to reawaken and keep ourselves awake, not by mechanical aids, but by an infinite expectation of the dawn, which does not forsake us in our soundest sleep. I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor. It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look, which morally we can do. To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts. Every man is tasked to make his life, even in its details, worthy of the contemplation of his most elevated and critical hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back