• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do you have maladaptive daydreaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not 100% sure that mine is maladaptive daydreaming, but I think it is-- since childhood I often fall asleep to fantasies of being hurt or bad things happening to me to calm down in a weird way.
Then through middle school until this point, I use fiction/TV shows as a poor way to cope and daydreamed about that a lot when I was school.
Very recently, I have started spending good chunks of time daydreaming about reliving trauma, sometimes through characters so there's more distance between myself and what happened to me. I imagine someone helping/comforting me afterwards or being able to openly express how I'm really feeling. It ends up taking a decent amount of time and can be distressing, but also really cathartic (which is why it's hard to stop).
One helpful thing someone else mentioned that helps me as well is listening to music. The only other thing I have found that helps is forcing myself to change environments, because I usually end up doing this when I'm in bed. If I'm out of my room or around others, I'm usually forced to be more present. Doing something that takes a lot of concentration (playing an instrument, writing, work, etc.) may be helpful?
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back