• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do You Tell The Truth About Suicidal Thoughts To Doctors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My therapist asked me if I was suicidal a few weeks ago and I told him the truth. I was not suicidal but I do have suicidal ideations and I told him that. I felt extremely shameful afterward but I knew that I had be honest with him because I trust that he is going to do what is best for me and offer me guidance. I know that I must have one person in my life who I can be honest with about my thoughts because if not, they can end up being too dangerous for me to deal with alone.

Best,
Rachel

I absolutely agree with everyone! Honesty by revealing our thoughts is so important. You have to have trust in the therapist to help you. It does not necessarily mean hospitallization. Give them the opportunity to help you.

What holds us back - fear, some denial we are really there, and 'percieved negative consequences'.

Don't shut out the help and hope. Accept that you can't always do it alone.

This has been a good thread for me. The last time I had strong suicidal ideation, I let my T know. He told me that it's just goes with the territory (PTSD). The important thing, is to be able to reach out to someone if I am in danger of acting on the thoughts.

A part of me felt that this answer was a cop out, that he should be able to "fix" me, so that the thoughts never come back. It's good to get reinforcement that this is normal. I don't want to have lingering doubts about my T. This seems to be my tendency -- to want to pick away at trust relationships.

Ken

I told my therapist outright a few months ago that I felt like I didn't want to live anymore. He seemed completely unphased and we just talked. I will be completely honest with him because I know that is what it takes to receive the best therapy for me.

My T asked me that question the first day I saw her and I did not tell her the truth. I did'nt know this person and was scared about the consequences of telling the truth. Now that we have a few months of therapy behind us I feel more comfortable with her and I think that opening up and letting them know what you're thinking/feeling they can help you. It's for the best.

My T has known from the beginning that I believe or wish that I would have died in the accident with my babies and want to die. She also knows that #1 my faith and #2 my daughter will keep me from acting on these feelings. I always just say what I feel (the truth) otherwise it is prohibitive.

I made the mistake of addressing the topic of suicide once in therapy. I was not having thoughts or ideations. Just touched on the topic in general. Therapist got all antsy (physically) and was like a heat-seeking missile pelting me with tons of picky, twisted questions ... all he ended up doing was making me feel like a fruitcake and unstable, when I wasn't.

I'm a quick learner ... no talking about the "S" word, not even in general. :naughty:

Bailey

My counsellor keeps asking me if im thinking of sucide which im not. she keeps asking , I feel like saying if you keep asking and making me think of it it might happen.
I dont like being asked the same question over and over

Nothing wrong with feeling suicidal really with PTSD and Major Depression its a daily thing for me.

I tell the Doctors how I feel, they ask about if I have any plains.

If you have a plain then they may want you to be hospitalized.

I have been on the pysch ward once and never again for me. I do tend to hold back a little, cause I value my freedom.

As long as I can make it One day at a Time! When your feeling like ending it all, think about the people you will hurt not yourself.

I'm very selfish and sometimes need to be reminded of it. Think of others and move your mind to helping others.

I cannot do certain things these days, but there are other ways to help people in need.

charity, homeless or coming to forums and giving advice to others.

The world is a scary, evil place, I wish we could all live in harmony and love our fellow man and woman.

Peace be with you all!

Simple answer is, yes!

I am in therapy to heal and so my thoughts irrespective of what they are have to be aired out in the open..I was actually asked by my T to make a verbal contract with her that I would not attempt suicide whilst in therapy. Instead, I agreed to use the contact numbers that she has given me on my care plan if I ever felt like I wanted to again! I agreed to do this! Therapy is about being ready to heal and so you just gotta be honest with yourself first and then your T, who is there to faciltitate your road to recovery.

I guess I feel that if someone really wants out then perhaps they are not totally ready to heal - you have to have some stability within yourself to go to the places that we have to visit in therapy. So being honest about your thoughts versus your true intentions enables you to get the right support and identify exactly where you are in the healing process.

Spirit x

Yes, but in my case it's suicidal ideation that just never really seems to go away. As long as you don't have a plan and the means to carry it out, they won't lock you up.

I've always been honest about my suicidal feelings with my psychiatrist and it has helped me to forge a good relationship with him. He is the only person I do speak to about my feelings but at least I feel I have someone I can turn to. He always tells me that I can call anytime night or day and that's enough for me, just knowing there is someone I can call when things do get dark !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back