• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do Your Hands Get Cold When Dissociating?

Do Your Hands Get Cold When You Dissociate?

• Yes

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 16 34.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Their ability may be different, however; you found the answer for yourself, you found that your doctor is wrong about the suggested problem, and it is due to your PTSD and the stress induced reaction that occurs within the body... so you have only substantiated yourself that your physician was incorrect.

Not sure why you are being argumentative.

I begun this thread as an interest in exploring the anecdotal evidence of cold hands with my PTSD.

I don't think it's at all inappropriate to look at possible correlations that don't *yet* exist. That's the beginning of scientific inquiry.

I am so disappointed that a member's doctor was called a bullying/judgmental name...I don't think that's at all helpful (or wise), but I've been in bad places where something has not gone through my filters properly so I understand it happens. I've been guilty of this stuff too.

Anthony, I am so grateful you have brought this Forum into existence but I find this type of discourse unsupportive, unhelpful, and unkind.

StressyJen, please do not leave the forum based upon one (or any number) of any individuals comments. You certainly have NOTHING to apologize for. I am so sorry you were labeled (without merit, in my opinion) as 'argumentative' when the first 'argumentative' post was directed at you. In 12 Step groups, disagreements happen and we sponsors tell our sponsees... "Take what you like...and leave the rest."

Mods, Please close this thread.

I can see that my attempt at exploring associations was, for whatever reasons, not met with open-mindedness on this issue. But to have something I started be turned into an unkind name-calling and negative characterization of others is beyond the pale.

My apologies, everyone. I had no idea it would turn out like this.

I'll stay away from this issue in future posts.

:<

No... neither is the wikipedia. I am just a PTSD sufferer who has studied everything PTSD for a lot of years... about 6 years now actually, so I tend to know PTSD and surrounds pretty good IMO. I have also been taught and advised by some of the leading mental health physicians in the industry on PTSD related matters, all the way up to the US National Center for Posttraumatic Stress... through my own self work to educate and understand at the doctor level, but I am not a doctor. Ask me about schizophrenia, and I will tell you my knowledge is zero. Ask me about anything PTSD related, and I could 99% chance answer you of the top of my head. I also try and remain as current as possible with all the current studies surrounding PTSD in order to run this website.

If I became a physician, this site would not exist due to the legalities when formal training has been undertaken and information provided via online means. A medical site as an example, WebMD, they have disclaimers everywhere, on each entry, for anything medically related, because the person has qualified training and thus a duty of care for information they provide. Unfortunately, it would destroy this site if I got qualified at doctorate level.

As above, Jen found the answer by looking at the relevant information on what occurs with the blood vessels during stress / panic attacks, being it restricts from the other limbs to pump into the primary organs first. This natural event within the body is the reason why it may seem like something is wrong in the hands or feet, but then returns. If you constantly get into a nasty cycle of stress created each time by concentrating upon the symptoms, then you can believe something is wrong that is not, when in fact it is PTSD in the first instance.

This is why, symptoms are not worth treating in PTSD, because you will be at it a long time. Treat the cause, the symptoms dissipate quickly enough.

Here, I said to myself... "Now you're done on this..."

But, I have to respond.

Sometimes, symptoms can become life or limb threatening, or so debilitating that they threaten someone's ability to engage in the healing process.

There's nothing wrong with getting a second opinion (which this forum is nice for more info, but not a qualified second opinion...just support.)

...but please, follow what your doctor tells you. Anything we say is based upon NOT nearly enough info. You and your doctor know your circumstances, medical history best.

Now...back to our regularly scheduled programming...

smile.png

Exactly, which comes back to my initial statement surrounding, get a different doctor, get another opinion... because there is nothing worse than getting another diagnosis that you just don't need, which is due to what you already have, and treating what you have happens to fix the other issue.

Wow this is just my opinon but dont you think it wise to get back to the topic at hand, I was under the impression that no one is a therapist or expert here and maybe not a good idea to be putting down others professionals that are helping them, this is all upsetting to me. I feel bad that someone feels like they need to defend themselves here, doesn't feel like such a safe thread here at least. I am new and that worries me that if I share I will be attacked and I really don't feel like I want to defend myself and my health team. I say do and believe in what works for you. Oh and P.S. move on already you made your point, no??

Hey Kido, last post by anthony is Feb 14th, I've decided to let it go. Thank you for your thoughts but - like you said - I think it's time to let this thread die. I appreciate Anthony for running these forums, they have been very helpful to me and many others. I said my piece and felt I needed to clarify, so both sides of this are out there for people who are reading to see and judge for themselves.

Unfortunately in a large community on an internet forum, things can be misunderstood easily, and ESPECIALLY with people who have PTSD, we can become overly emotional, defensive, and sometimes harsher than we should, just by the nature of having PTSD :) You will find this occasionally happens here and we all need to be forgiving and able to compartmentalize these situations and not apply them to the whole forum community.

It's kind of interesting because it's similar to what we struggle with in our "real life" relationships also. So it's good practice perhaps.

Gaaahhh must fight urge to be defensive again after reading thread again....

Dr. is not treating symptoms like was suggested, he is treating cause. Meds I have now have helped with cold hands/feet, purple toes, AND migraine headaches (used to have 3-4/wk, now have 2/mo) and he says raynauds symptoms are result of the blood vessel thing, which also contributes to migraines and some other physical things (which I won't mention because I don't want to start more arguments)... and these are improved dramatically. I don't have depression and my anxiety attacks are rare but I do have some physical results from the long term stress... he understands that.

I saw a new MD yesterday... about a severe stomach problem I have had for many years, I love him. After talking about my anxiety disorders & ptsd and reviewing my meds, he actually said to me something like, so it sounds to me that, except for some residual physical stress effects, you are doing well with your PTSD. I wanted to CRY! He asked the name of my Psych and I told him that this Psych tries to consider both the physical effects and mental learned problems of PTSD. My Doctor seemed to think this was good and would himself keep in mind the stress my body has been through these last 25 years in helping me with this other problem as well, and if he needed to consult with my Psych he would. How fortunate am I? I only dreamed to find a team like this.

So I don't run a forum and I am not an MD or a PHD or a psych but I am a very smart person. And I suggest (but not as an authority) that anyone who has the opportunity to find mental health professionals that are also trying to consider physical results from PTSD, and MDs who also acknowledge PTSD and what kind of stress it puts on your body in helping you heal the physical part, you should try to find these kinds of doctors who will work together. You don't have to be brilliant to think through the logic and conclude that this is and would be an excellent thing.

Anthony mentioned his credentials including working "all the way up to the US National Center for Posttraumatic Stress." This is great and you are a great resource. My PHD therapist who referred me to this doctor (and told me he sends many patients to him) is no joke. He's a consultant to the APA on bereavement and trauma, is a contributor in developing assessment and training programs to the US Army, and does trauma workshops for police, military, and professionals. He's the lead of the masters program in Psychology at a university.

See, I got defensive again. The point is we cannot be too judgmental toward anyone until we've talked a bit and we should keep an open mind and keep the tone CIVIL as best possible and it would be helpful if the LEADERSHIP PEOPLE of the forum would try to set an example for the rest of us. Isn't this similar to the same problem we've had in a couple other threads recently? This is an INTERNET FORUM. We would not talk like this to each other if we were in a conference room face to face but we should endeavor to treat each other as if we were face to face.

I'm beginning to wonder if my hands/feet do become cold when I dissociate. I think they do. I've had a lot of issues just recognizing my dissociation in the first place.

I put yes as when I think about him or the abuse I pale, I sweat, I shake and I also find it hard to breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back