• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Does Anyone Garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds positively wonderful Marilyn! You are making me envious! Haven't yet begun my own garden this year, partially due to family circumstances and partially because as my husband mentioned, we still have risk of frost for a while yet.

Does anybody know about potatos? I made my own eyelettes, planted them, they were doing great then the frost burned the daylights out of them. Well they live? Or, should I make new eyelettes and try again? The frost did not hurt my brussel sprouts or my collard greens. I haven't planted anything else because the whether is weird cold here in Missouri this year and I want to wait until I know my seedlings will not be killed. This gardening stuff is so fun! I have some very big mulleun and black sage that did quite well through the frost. Its kind of funny, I have my spices and Herbs planted in a 50 gallon barrell with top and bottom removed and dirt filled. I tease and call it my bucket of bitter herbs because I have the black sage and some garlic growing in it! lol!

My mom has quite a green thumb, and I'm trying halfheartedly to cultivate my own. Last summer I reseeded my tiny lawn, planted boxwoods, marigolds, and coripsis. Someday I'd love to have a little Japanese-style garden.

We're being hit with a snowstorm right now in the upper midwest. It's so weird to see the empty greenhouses at shops around town covered with snow.

I usually start flowers by seed in the house by the end of February, but not this year; just not motivated. However, I kept the planters with moss rose and hollyhocks from last year in the belief that they will all grow again this year. We'll see.

Usually, I find so much comfort working in my garden. It's calming, peaceful, nurturing.

This year I'm looking forward to planting tomatoes, as usual, and also peppers and cucumbers this year. We have a peach tree in our yard planted by the previous owner (which is really weird for this part of the country). We've lived here nine years and last year was the first year we figured out that it was peaches growing on that tree, because they ripened last year for the first time. Peaches in the upper midwest, not so far from the Canadian border, mind you. Very weird, and disturbing. Climate change. Though I guess, personally, I can't say I'm complaining.

My Taters' Pootered Out on Me!

:brrr: I guess it must have got way too cold. My potatoes pootered out on me. They are big brown crusty limp noodles! :cussing: Oh well! I got some new ones started in my pantry if I can keep my sweetie from peeling them and baking them in the microwave! lol! He doesn't seem to care if there are yukky little sprouts all over the potato. He just cuts them off and eats it like it was a fresh potato. He has a nic name, occasionally I'll call him "Spud". If its a potato or has potato in it, he'll eat it! lol!

gardening/flowers

:hello: I do some gardening mostly plant a few flowers. In the summer here it gets so hot and dry everything looks brown... So I try to put a little color back in around the house. We tried tomatoes, corn, peppers, and a couple of other things last year, but the squirrels & birds swiped most everything or damaged it. So this year just flowers....
Enjoy the peace & quiet & beauty of your garden...

Take Care

D

Since the subject is gardening maybe some one can tell me why I can grow anything green but put a flower on it and when that flower is gone the plant NEVER flowers again. The plant will grow, be green, pretty and a nice addition to my garden patio. But flowers ?????????????? It is a physical impossibility for me to produce a flower on a flowering plant. AAUUGGHH!!! Any hints are welcome

Hey Herc!

I got the same thing going with some of my plants. I'll have to do some reading up on this thing. I'd kinda like to see some blooms myself in my house plants. I'll have to get back with ya on this one. What are ya growing? Until Later.

What am I growing? I have a huge collection of Plumeria that flowered when I got them and then as usual never again. I bought some other flowering plants, don't even remember what they are----still alive is what they are--growing and green but ZERO flowers since. Anything I get with flowers on it lives and thrives but never flowers again So go figure

OK the flower shop part of me kicking in, some flowers need a certain humidity level and chill level. If they do not get cold enough they will not bloom. I swear I kill plants as a natural. Orchids are made for the neglectful owner.

I had the gumbo black mud and people had a big kick out of me running from a certain drake I had. Spring he went nuts and I would gets stuck in the mud and literally run out of my boots and leave them behind so no pinch. One thing that grew well was spaghetti squash, cucumber, and okra. It was dropped seeds that did it best. Not planted. So grab a toddler and let them hit and miss, you will be amazed when you let the plant the right plants. Short carrots did so well to suddenly be nailed by a cut worm! Grrr... Salad greens were good as they grew fast and like mad. I miss my garden even if I sucked at it.

My wife and I are learning to garden this year with the help of our housemates. I know we are growing a lot of kale, tomatoes, quinia, and I am not sure what else. So far the most fun was the 10 horsepower tiller we rented! I'm not so great working with others as I get confused sometimes with simple instructions which is very frustrating. I might end up being the one who mows the lawn instead!

littledog, everyone I know that grows tomatoes loves it. Good luck!

This weekend I seeded my spotty yard for a second time. It looks tons better than when I moved in! I also planted celosia in the front yard and orange dahlias and yellow daylilies in the back yard. I love orange, red, and yellow flowers. I cleaned out most of the beds and mulched; I have two sections left to go. Then I can plant my bulbs, which I am trying for the first time this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.