• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

EMDR relief for night terrors?

Myterrors

New Here
I have had night terrors since around 10 years old and still dealing with them every night 40 years later. I’ve tried therapies thru the years with no relief. I’ve recently started EMDR and diagnosed with CPTSD since my trauma isn’t from just one event. I have started using a sleep ap to track and I wake 2-3x every night screaming or talking with sheer terror but I have no recollection unless it’s a really bad one where I physically leap out of bed. Has anyone experienced these kinds of terrors and found any cure?

I’ve never used it myself, but I know that a lot of people use prazosin to help with ptsd-related nightmares and night terrors.

Beyond that, I’d recommend experimenting with what you’re doing after you go to bed, but before you fall asleep. I use a mediation app, and alternate between guided relaxations and yoga nidra. I have a tendency to get out of bed and do weird weird shit when I’m having a nightmare, and it definitely helps (but no, not a cure).

Other people I know find it helps to go to town on your sleep environment. Gentle lighting, teddies, white noise, water fountains, weighted blankets, aromatherapy - seems to be different for everyone as to what helps ease the waking up part of the equation, but well worth the effort.

I have had night terrors since around 10 years old and still dealing with them every night 40 years later. I’ve tried therapies thru the years with no relief. I’ve recently started EMDR and diagnosed with CPTSD since my trauma isn’t from just one event. I have started using a sleep ap to track and I wake 2-3x every night screaming or talking with sheer terror but I have no recollection unless it’s a really bad one where I physically leap out of bed. Has anyone experienced these kinds of terrors and found any cure?
For me, EMDR stopped my nightmares, triggers, and flashbacks, although I had to undergo 16 sessions which is unusual. However, I needed 16 EMDR sessions because my trauma like yours is not from just one single event, but multiple events. I am sorry you are dealing with night terrors and I understand how horrible these are.

Back