• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Emdr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobeara

New Here
I am supposed to be starting EMDR sometime soon and I was just wondering a few things...

1) how many sessions is typical?
2) I've read that some therapists do tapping but I am weird about people touching me...is this an optional thing?
3) do things get worse before they get better?
4) do you have to tell all the details of what happened during your trauma (for me it's sexual assault)?

- How many sessions is typical?
It depends on the person and his/her kind of trauma. I personally had to go through 50 sessions all together (including the open up process and everything in between)
- I've read that some therapists do tapping but I am weird about people touching me...is this an optional thing?
There are two other ways for EMDR to be done. the auditory stimulus as well as the visual one. They usually ask you if you before whichever they chose, on whether you are comfortable with it or now and see what would be the best way for you.
- Do things get worse before they get better?
Things do get difficult and worse before they get better, because you'd have to face and walk through the trauma all over again. you'd find yourself describing things and giving details that you've up to that moment blocked somewhere in your memory. But when that difficult period is over, things do get better, you feel yourself much lighter and stronger (that was at least my case), I hope it shall be the same for you.
- Do you have to tell all the details of what happened during your trauma (for me it's sexual assault)?
The therapist will be asking you various questions about your experience, it does get into details, but the good thing is that you can always stop whenever you feel uncomfortable and decide to have a break or not continue on that line.

Everything stated here are of my own experience and how my sessions went, I hope you find it helpful, and perhaps find more accurate answers.

I wish you all the best of luck.

They usually ask you if you before whichever they chose, on whether you are comfortable with it or now and see what would be the best way for you.

Sorry, I have just realized how unclear this answer was.

They never do anything that you feel uncomfortable about. So before starting tapping - if that's what the therapist choose for you - they ask you whether you feel OK with it or not, they might try - always if you accept - to tap once or twice just to see how it feels and decide whether you want to do it or not. If not, then there is the auditory stimulus as well.

I have had four sessions of EMDR and do tapping but it is me doing the tapping. It is a way to self soothe and called the Butterfly and works well when I am having anxiety. You can share what you want, I was attacked, beaten raped and left for dead at a campground. I am completely honest because I have had PTSD for 13 years and it has ruined my life in many ways. My terror has dropped to fear. The most important thing is have a skilled trauma Therapist that knows what they are doing.

There's actually one more. There are little 'tappers' (they kind of look like tiny eggs that you...
Oh, I've never heard about this one before, but it certainly sounds less annoying. Although I used to trust my therapist so I did not have problems being tapped. But it's reassuring knowing that each person can choose the way with which to be helped.

I didn't realize you were talking about tapping being the little monitors I hold which for me works better than the eye movement thing. I was given a choice. and as stated above you don't have to do anything that you are uncomfortable with. I stop the session when I have had enough which so far is before the hour is up. Then there is a wrap up session to get calm, called container and then a relaxation technique to be calm before I leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back