• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Feedback wanted - diagnosed 8 years ago PTSD and bipolar

Status
Not open for further replies.
She sounds terrible! What is holding you back from talking to her about your specific concerns and/or switching to a new treatment provider?
I have only spoken to her 3 times! She is supposed to be the new and better one than I had before..... The matter of it all is that 2 and 1/2 months ago I switched from one that I had been going to, which was more of a clinic based kind facility They work well with Medicare patients like me. My therapist, PCP , Med Dr. and several other professional people were housed in this tiny building, ( I live in a relatively small rural city!) So, without traveling a distance, there are not many choices of therapist that I can afford. I had become so very frustrated with mine who did not take notes or sit by her desk. she instead sat in a chair and cozied her head up in her hands like to go to sleep. When I told her I didn't like it she said she would try to stop doing it. She said she just listened better that way. It just felt like she didn't know what to do with me. She wanted to hear a story, and all stories.. Stories about how U met husband, What I made for dinner. It wasn't a therapy and I told the head Doctor in charge why I was leaving. So right after I refilled my meds I started making an appointment with a newer bigger clinic. I finally got an appt, but is was a month out. By the time I talked to my therapist on the phone she had not contacted the Medical Doctor to get me an appointment to refill my medicine, Now...At this point I have to wait to see a medicine doctor to get refills on medicines that will be running out.
Yeah... I spoke with her supervisor but she is a looney tune. Yelled at me that they have procedure I just had to shut her out. She told me that I would have an appointment to see a medical doctor in about 3 to 4 weeks

Ah, ok that makes a lot of sense. I'm in the thick of navigating limited therapy options and less-than-great clinic staff as well. I can validate that seeking a decent competent therapist with limited options can be a real nightmare. The clinics that are most able to take Medicare can be a doozey to navigate. With telehealth options (Medicare will cover them now), and if you have a decent enough internet connection, there might be more options at a distance, even for med management. I just set up a consult 300 miles away. Not saying you need to do this or anything, and it may not be a good option for you.

Frankly, I myself have been wondering is there anything I can gain from less than competent therapy? All therapists will fumble at times... but there is a difference between minor fumbles and major issues.

Well done for connecting to the supervisor and that stinks she's a nut too.

From your posts here, it's clear what you don't want in therapy. It's not as clear as what you are seeking. Outlining specific goals might help. Maybe not. I was working with one therapist who was kind of all over the place and missing the mark and calling it in and cutting sessions short. Then I showed up and laid out my expectations for therapy. "If you schedule the full 50 minute therapy hour, I will expect a 50 minute therapy hour." I laid out my top three goals and ask she outline a treatment plan to address them. I was never super comfortable with this therapist, but it did help for the bit of time I saw them until I was able to see someone even better.

You know what, I did tell her how I felt about her. I told her that I really liked the therapist I had previous to her * she had left to take a new position). Then she asked what did I think of her and I told her I wasn't really liking her, that the jury was still out. But I didn't tell her why and she didn't ask. I did tell her though that it is hard to connect with someone whom you are not or do not see their face (we have telephone sessions-4 so far).
I see. Telephone sessions are harder. It would be good if you both used Zoom. That's where you can see each other while you're both on the phone. I have bipolar and PTSD and its incredibly hard to bond anyway. So, ask her about Zoom. I think its called FaceTime on facebook. Not real sure on that. I haven't really had any therapists that I have bonded with. My last one looked at the clock all the time but she changed jobs so it was more to do with her than with me. I like my newer one. She is from the North and I have to remember that.

Last edited:
I see. Telephone sessions are harder. It would be good if you both used Zoom. That's where you can see each other while you're both on the phone. I have bipolar and PTSD and its incredibly hard to bond anyway. So, ask her about Zoom. I think its called FaceTime on facebook. Not real sure on that. I haven't really had any therapists that I have bonded with. My last one looked at the clock all the time but she changed jobs so it was more to do with her than with me. I like my newer one. She is from the North and I have to remember that.
You must have missed that part. She has the capability to set up video calls but doesn't bother. I can do it on my phone or on my computer. She would have to text or email and give me a password or something, and send me the link, The secretaries are just baffled why she doesn't bother to video chat with her patients. Yeah, I brought/bring it up but she says that someday we will just meet.

You must have missed that part. She has the capability to set up video calls but doesn't bother. I can do it on my phone or on my computer. She would have to text or email and give me a password or something, and send me the link, The secretaries are just baffled why she doesn't bother to video chat with her patients. Yeah, I brought/bring it up but she says that someday we will just meet.
Oh sorry. I missed that. It is weird that she wants to cancel after 30 minutes and won't Face Time. What a jerk! I'd see what I could do about getting another therapist. Or i would come up with topics to talk about the whole hour. The therapist that I had, that looked at the clock all the time, acted like she was my best friend and I couldn't bond with her.

Oh sorry. I missed that. It is weird that she wants to cancel after 30 minutes and won't Face Time. What a jerk! I'd see what I could do about getting another therapist. Or i would come up with topics to talk about the whole hour. The therapist that I had, that looked at the clock all the time, acted like she was my best friend and I couldn't bond with her.
That's okay, Deanna, Thank you for your thoughts. I think something happened to healthcare and all of a sudden the counselors had to intake more people and I think the counselors just quit caring!! I once DID have a very caring therapist several years ago, but she left the field BECAUSE all the changes occurring in mental healthcare. And it seems hardly anyone takes their job very seriously.

Hooray for me! I report both the therapist AND her supervisor. It went to an independent reporting agency. I also canceled my phone appointment with the therapist this morning. Rescheduled it for next week. I found the supervisor's, SUPERVISOR and called and left a message for a call back. I am not sure why I did that but when I called to cancel my phone appointment with therapist, the secretary (whom I like) asked about my Med Dr. appt-had it gotten worked out? I told her NO and that I didn't like Therapist and didn't like the way her supervisor treated me. She told me that I could talk to a higher level person. I guess I could have done that first??

Hi @sonnet, I'm really sorry for what your going through with the therapists. I've had some terrible therapists who quite frankly should have been struck off for their behaviour. Finally found a good one but haven't seen him due to covid. It sounds like your making progress now, so I hope things improve for you. Best wishes S3. 😊

I am STILL waiting to the medicine Dr., and have even called the SUPERVISOR of the supervisor that I had reported with my therapist BUT have not got a call back. from that big wig yet. That was last week. So frustrated! I had an appointment with the therapist last Fri but cancelled it and rescheduled it for today.(wed) I had to talk to the therapist today because if you miss counseling twice, they can drop you. I gave the counselor all kinds of heck. Told her I didn't think she cared. She wasn't being responsible because SHE didn't make a referral for me to see a medicine Dr. when we started and because of that I am out of several medicines and/or reducing the amount I take so I don't run out because I have no more refills! I basically yelled that at her! She said she had thought that the front desk made those appointments, Say what??? Lady how long you been there? What drugs are YOU on? Damn!! I know the girls at the front as I am a return client. I told them that. They were T'd off! They said she knew they didn't do that! Then the therapist asked me why I the left the clinic in the first place. I told her it was none of her damn business. (It was because my other therapist took a new job though and I looked for a clinic closer to my house- BUT it ain't her dang business!)
Then when I spoke to her supervisor, she had said I had to be a patient 4 weeks before I could get a referral to see a medicine Dr. I told her she was wrong.. That doesn't apply to returning patients, especially those already on medications,. I knew that from being a patient there before for 6 years. Then the supervisor said to me that people want to see the Med Dr. for drugs. Oh yes she did! I about flipped my lid! I said ,II can't believe you said that, you must be crazy lady. It's like I walked into the twilight zone. So I reported them again. To a private independent company affiliated with them and to the higher supervisor that hasn't returned my call. Man , it just suks.

I have been crying all morning,. So emotional. I texted my grandbabies, 12, 10, 8 and 6 that I miss them. They are only 25 miles away but because of covid and lots of others things, I just don't get to see them hardly at all. I seen them on Christmas Eve. But this morning I have been a sobbing mess. Then I became all full of anger about the attack on the Capital . I am just over emotional all over the place about everything. Commercials, movies and shows, TV anchors leaving... and pain.. lots of leg pain and pain in my old body. My house is a big mess and I can not clean because my knee, and my husband does what he can. My floors are like dirt. I hate this feeling. I am willing to set up with a therapist 300 miles away who takes Medicare if they are caring and helpful. Not sure how to go about doing that. Justmehere , maybe you might push me in the right direction?

@sonnet - sounds like things are rough right now.

The biggest hurdle I have found to Medicare mental health via telehealth is finding providers who take Medicare. However, relevant allows the area to expand. All one has to do is find a provider in their state that will take Medicare. Because it's all telehealth, and their license is valid state-wide, location is actually irrelevant. I see a Medicare provider 100 miles from home via telehealth. All I did to set it up was call them, confirm they take Medicare and new patients, and we got scheduled. Psychology Today is one resource to find providers in a state by insurance. Calling Medicare is another means as well. Remember, it can be anywhere in whatever state you reside for telehealth.

If you get really stuck, google your state name and Medicare ombudsman. They may be able to help.

For this morning, maybe turn off the news and see if you can notice this moment and anything that is even a tiny bit comforting or beautiful even if it doesn't feel that way. When the stuff hits the fan for me and I'm battling piles of tears, I go outside and look up. There's something about the sky that can ground me. I'll purposefully try to find any sound or smell of nature and just get outside to try to get out of my head. It doesn't make the pain go away, but it can make a rough day a little more bearable.

The isolation of the pandemic has been hard on the bravest of hearts. You are not alone. Keep up the good work to advocate for what you need!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back