• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Feeling Down - Nightmares

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one for spouse's and PTSD. I don't have PTSD but I have Anthony and I have my two beautiful burmese cats - one male and one female. They are often a bit of support when we are having a rough time here at home. When I was pregnant with Alexander, Baloo (my male cat) would often come and sleep next to my tummy. When we brought bubby home, if he started crying Baloo would wait outside his door until we got to him. I too can vouch for the stress relieving talents and love of animals. So I guess that makes them universal stress relievers for those with PTSD and their support people!

loosing time can be a problem, its a sign of the mind sort of switching off, used to just sit there and stare at somewhere else, not here not there just elsewhere, lost a lot of time like that, dogs are good for bringing you out of it , go for a walk and you get to keep in this world while at the same time not having too much to think about, good exercise, and good company,

go for a walk and you get to keep in this world while at the same time not having too much to think about, good exercise, and good company,

This is what I had been doing up to now. As soon as I realise that I'm thinking too many unhelpful thoughts, I go walking. I think the problem has been that if I need to be at work in an hour, I don't have time to go walking, so I end up sitting and thinking and off I go into my own little world. I'm going to have to think of some other way of staying grounded that I can do. Trouble is, these breathing exercises seem to contribute to me spacing out. I don't think that's supposed to happen.......

piglet said:
Trouble is, these breathing exercises seem to contribute to me spacing out. I don't think that's supposed to happen.......

Don't do them as long if that is the case and you feel uncomfortable with it. Can you pin point though, whether you forget time because you are actually relaxing yourself so well through the breathing exercises, or is it different than that?

It's not a relaxation thing. I feel really weird and out of control - certainly not a relaxing experience!! Think I'll just stick to walking and speak to the therapist next time I go. She said it wasn't the end of the world if I didn't do the exercises - I won't be put in detention or anything! It just makes me scared about relaxing - how daft is that!:crazy-eye

Its ok, as its not really about meaning that you should be scared of relaxing, its just that this particular method doesn't work for you. If you want the truth, it doesn't for me either. I use breathing exercises without even knowing I do it these days, but not for relaxation, instead the other type which ensure we get full lung capacities all the time, and not the short shallow breathe we tend to take when stressed. I tried all these breathing relaxation things, and none worked for me, as I just generally couldn't concentrate enough upon them.

Don't worry Piglet, all it means is that that exercise isn't the right one for you. There are plenty of relaxation methods. Some people do Yoga, some Tai-Chee, some go to the acupunturist, some get massages, some walk, some go running, so go to the gym... etc etc... you get the point.

There is no definitive answer, but more its trial and error. The problem generally with PTSD, is getting people to actually get past their thoughts and try things. I have mentioned this in regard to myself and acupuncture, as I was hell bent on never getting it, finally said I would give it a try, and well, I have to eat my words. Admitting I was wrong was harder than going to get it... so pride can bite us on the bum at times with these things.

The more you try, the better judgement you will have at the end of the day to what works and doesn't work for you.

Piglet,

Yoga might be a good one for you. Although I don't have PTSD, I am generally a very active person (which drives lots of people nuts) and can never really sit down. I have found yoga works for me in that it allows you to concentrate on your breath but you are also adopting strengthening postures at the same time. You might find that because you are active but still taking advantage of the deep breathing, that it will help chill you out without letting you 'space out'. I never really could sit still for long enough to let the deep breathing do its thing. It is a work in progress for me, I eventually hope that I will be able to do regular yoga practice and learn how to meditate.

Anyhow, the yoga thing works for me because I am too bloody active to sit still for long. It is a myth that you have to be able to bend yourself into a pretzel to be any good at yoga, the idea is the breath and postures to the best of 'your' ability. I also hear you on the walking, I find that also to be a great way to let some of lifes stresses bugger off. Actually, Anthony and I were laughing the other night that your pooch must be the most exercised pooch in the world. Talk about a fit dog!!

Be kind to you.

It is hit and miss when it comes to finding something that works. You just have to keep at it and persevere, which seems to be what you are doing. Sometimes the only way to find out what works is to find out what doesn't work. Your doing great Piglet..keep it up!

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. I'm still getting caught up in that "being able to do everything" thought process. I've always believed that I can do anything if I work hard enough - this has worked for me far more times than not (people were always telling me "you can't do that", and then I tried and I could). I'm finding it really hard to accept that this strategy does not work with ptsd. :wall:

Instead I have to work at not working. Huge challenge - doesn't reallly go well with holding down a full-time teaching job!

Anthony and I were laughing the other night that your pooch must be the most exercised pooch in the world.

Bloody good job I've got a collie cross that can go forever - I'd be stuffed if I had a bulldog or something!

Last summer, my friend and I went on a 24mile bike ride and took our dogs. The end of this ride was the first and only time I've ever seen my furry beast too tired to want to fetch her ball!

Basically, unless I have wheel power, my dog can go much further than I can!

On a more serious note - which I found interesting - my therapist said the "progressive muscle relaxation" type exercises would not work on me because I am too fit.

It looks like I am doomed to become an unfit lazy slob. :smile:

piglet said:
On a more serious note - which I found interesting - my therapist said the "progressive muscle relaxation" type exercises would not work on me because I am too fit.

It looks like I am doomed to become an unfit lazy slob. :smile:

Yep... that would do it. Did your therapist give you an alternative? It is always back to the same thing with recovery... what works for one, may not work for another, but keep trying until you find the right thing for YOU!

There is rarely one method to achieve the end result, especially with PTSD, as it is very much an individual guessing game to find what works for each sufferer. Its like the list of [DLMURL="http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread171.html"]unhelpful thinking styles[/DLMURL], one person could say that 8 of those are applicable to them, another says 3, another says all, another says 5, etc etc.

Keep trying, and keep up the great work your doing with yourself Piglet. You are really moving in leaps and bounds, which is very inspiring and promising.

Last edited:
We've all suffered Piglet...I have no professional advice for you..I can tell you that you are not alone...if it helps..I used to wake in panic...thinking I was dying...afraid without knowing why...I would wake myself crying or half screaming alot of the time..needless to say I did not sleep much for a long time. There is nothing more frustrating or humiliating waking up from a nightmare...I always believed it was a child's affliction, until I had it myself. I don't think that way anymore...all you can do is bear yourself through it till it is over...not much help. I am optimistic that you will persevere through it..you have that kind of determination, I can tell. Keep trying, don't give up. That is the best advice I can give you and wish you the best.

See... I never remember my nightmares... just wake up in a cold sweat most mornings...
Sleep can be your best friend and enemy at the same time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back