• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Has anyone been given medication to breathe normally?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has been prescribed medication to breathe normally and if so, how did you get it?

I breathe shallowly all the time which leads to heart palpitations and being out of breath from the smallest activities. I'm tired of my doctor saying it's anxiety because I dont believe it is.

Anyone had medication for this?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has been prescribed medication to breathe normally and if so, how did you get it?

I breathe shallowly all the time which leads to heart palpitations and being out of breath from the smallest activities. I'm tired of my doctor saying it's anxiety because I dont believe it is.

Anyone had medication for this?
There are no medications to help you breathe deeply - You need to look into grounding or meditation to help you better focus on your breathing. If you are having trouble breathing after minor physical exertion it's possible you could have exercise induced asthma... In that case you might need a preventative medication or inhaler.

Welcome!

Have you been thoroughly evaluated medically? Only then can you know for sure if it's anxiety or a medical issue. There are a lot of things that affect our breathing, and some of them can be serious. Medication can help the underlying causes, but if it's anxiety, you really need to consciously learn and practice grounding and breathing techniques.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I have realised I am on some strong medication already that can cause these side effects so I am hoping that its just that. I will be talking to a doctor about this.
Who on earth is your doctor to not be aware of your medications side effects?

What meds are you taking?

@Larrikin Good point, my doctor really should know more about this.

I am taking Quetiapine, and Amisulpride, antipsychotic medications to sleep, and no doctor told me about these side effects I had to find it myself.

Also Quetiapine can increase blood sugar levels and I am pre diabetic, and the doctor has said nothing about this either! I found it myself.

I'm no doctor yet my experience with them is poor to average - It's unfortunate that both the medical and psychiatry professions have little idea of how any medication may effect us - I think you should seek a second opinion from a quality professional as it's possible that you require a change in meds.

It's unfortunate that both the medical and psychiatry professions have little idea of how any medication may effect us
Doctors weigh the possibilities of side effects with the good the medication can provide before they decide to prescribe. Why do you think the doctor doesn't know about the side effects? When you are given a prescription, it comes with paperwork that lists the possible side effects. One good way of assuring the doctor tells you is to ask what the side effects are.
I breathe shallowly all the time
Every time you notice this you should bring your attention to expanding your chest and breathing more deeply. If you continue to do this, breathing deeply will become a habit.

My experience has been that if you want to know side effects etc talk to a pharmacist. They spend the majority of their education studying meds etc. Doctors don't. Have a friend whose daughter is a pharmacist and she said she's amazed what doctors don't know about meds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back