• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Has anyone grown dwarf fruit: favorite gardening plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't you? I have a lot of my stuff in pots this year since the soil is so depleted.
Quite complicated with the sun exposure and we have a paranoid neighbour who doesn't want anything on the terrace. And having the plants only on the window might be a bit bulky. But not impossible. I'm gonna check what I can do :-) thank you!

One more day of scorching weather, then down to a balmy 97F/36C tomorrow. Even with all my aggressive watering I have some burned plants. I'm sure they will recover. On Monday I plan on planting my lemon balm in the ground. My son and I are allergic to mosquitos, and I've been bitten enough! I have orange balm too that I would like to plant where I can smell it.

I have to go to Home Depot to pick up some steer manure. I could ask my neighbor if I could go in her pasture and get some, but she has a bull and I don't know if it is safe. As soon as it cools off I will clean out the chicken coop and put the contents on the garden by the road. So much to do!

I will clean out the chicken coop and put the contents on the garden by the road.
^ Be careful of fresh or at least not old chicken manure around plants especially during hot weather. It is quite a hot manure.
but she has a bull and I don't know if it is safe.
^Does she have yards where she musters the stock? If so, ask her if you can collect manure from there. Safer than being in a paddock with the bull. Or, does your local gov., run stock yards? They may allow you to collect manure from there for free.

I decided to buy “cat grass”… and found out? It’s just wheatgrass. For $6.99 for a little 2” inch / 4cm square container at the pet store, or for 99 cents as a 6”/ 12cm container “wheat grass for smoothies” in the grocery store… AND THEN… have learned (since I have a metric shitton of whole wheat 😉) that there is genetic coding in wheat. Each blade can be cut twice. That’s it. Then it dies. So it’s reeeeeeally not something to buy/grow it one wants a little grass-planter indoors. Unless, well, you know… one has a series of them. LeSigh.

Be careful of fresh or at least not old chicken manure around plants especially during hot weather.
The front garden is naked. It was brought down to dirt and now I'm piling on the manure to sit over winter for the spring. I have all the plants and flowers in pots that will go into the greenhouse over the winter with a solar powered heater if necessary, and be planted in spring.

I actually bought steer manure for a good price in bags. Much easier for an old lady to handle. Another neighbor told me I could have all the horse poop I want, but it is hard work and much too hot for me to want to shovel poop from a field.

Off on a different tangent...we have flies. Many, many flies. It's a homestead so flies are a given so I have been trying to find ways to get rid of them. I haven't knocked down any spider webs outside, and I tried fly traps, 🤢 stinky! My new project is to grow carnivorous houseplants. I bought some seeds so we'll see how it goes. I've never done it before so I bought special soil.

I'm so lucky that we have a well with a lot of water. It's been really hot and some of my plants are a bit burned, but it shouldn't get over 100F anymore this year. I hope my tomatoes ripen before the winter.

I use red wine, for fruit flies.

The whole; you catch more flies with honey than vinegar thing? Must have been invented by people who didn’t waste wine. It was practically impossible to drink a glass without having at least one dive bomb your glass… so I started leaving half glasses out at night. (In the spirit of experimentation, also left out a glass with honey & a glass with vinegar. Flies in all 3. A few in the honey. A few in the vinegar. But exponentially more in the wine glasses. In the morning? Dozens to hundreds, depending on how bad the WTFO??? was. Maybe 1 more day to clear up the 2nd gen that hasn’t hatched, yet. And voila. Fruit fly free days/weeks.

For black flies, and other menaces, I’ve got nada. Nothing we ever did around the stables actually worked. It just felt better than doing nothing.

But slugs are almooooost as attracted to beer cans buried so just the lip shows, as fruit flies are to red wine. (Fruit flies also like white wine, but it takes 3-4 days to clear them instead of 1-2).

I have a little fig tree that’s not officially a dwarf but it’s in a pot and I plan on pruning every winter to keep it smallish. I would love to make a beautiful bonsai out of it but I need to let the trunk fatten up.

The mosquitoes are really bad this year because we got a ton of rain, like the rest of the world. I got a bug zapper in the shape of a tennis racket and the mosquitoes are terrified of it. So satisfying to hear that little pop—goodbye! I keep it close when watering.

I have a tiny patio but luckily a big tree—I call it a forest of one. My tree is called a glossy privet, native to China. My apartment complex planted a bunch in the beginning, back in the 70s. That tree makes amazing shade!

The daturas are busting out this year! Seeds I planted two years ago are finally sprouting. When it was raining non stop my kids discovered that we have a sizable population of cute little décolleté snails—they actually bury themselves most of the year but they had a major party after the big rains.

Two canna lily sprouts this year—very cute. Have a bottle gourd growing in the tree but no fruits. I tend to have bad luck with squash pollination no matter where I live. 🤷‍♀️

Basil on it’s third year—beautiful woody stems. Catnip sprouts looking real good in their container. Bean plants vining around without flowers but maybe in a few more weeks as Fall gets closer.

I finally found the shrub I saw on the side of the road. It's smooth sumac and it has fern like green leaves that turn red in the fall. It's beautiful! I got globes for a propagation station and I just need a cutting. It's all over out here so hopefully I can find some on public domain.

I planted a lilac today and my son mulched. I transplanted a bunch of flowers, but I can't seem to get the cover on my greenhouse. It is a geodesic dome and has a poly marine shrink wrap cover but I can't seem to get the shrink wrapping to work. Then the wind comes and blows the cover off again. I'm going to dig around the bottom and pull the cover around the bottom poles and fill in with dirt. That should hold while I shrink wrap. Wish me luck!

Love this thread.

I have huge black raspberries. They are soooo rewarding. I'm in zone 6. They grow quick .. after they ripen you get berries for a while. Longer than I expected anyways!

My friend has a dwarf lemon tree. That also is very cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back