• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Has anyone grown dwarf fruit: favorite gardening plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you already knew this… apologies.
I know nothing about turkeys, lol. I'm researching as I go. If the Tom (if we have a Tom) is mean he goes to freezer camp. They are both really friendly and come to me when they see me. They are pretty large, but I want to wait at least another month to put them out.
loosing their livelihood and property as streams, ponds, lakes and the Water Reserves run dry.
That is horrible! I wasn't aware it was that bad! I live next to the Columbia River, it keeps the aquafer full.

Has anyone planted berries from seed? I bought raspberry and blackberry seeds online, and it has complicated instructions. I thought they were easy since I had to keep digging up raspberry plants around my yard. I'm going to eventually plant them in big muck buckets so they don't spread, if I could only get them started, lol.

@DharmaGirl …if you decide to do so (growing by seed) please share the pixs of your progression. I really enjoy seeing the world through your eyes. I am considering doing the same with dwarf blueberries but I have been stalling waiting on fixing a few health concerns. With renewed energy, perhaps I will be up to the task!🤗

I am considering doing the same with dwarf blueberries
I looked up directions and you need Sphagnum Peat Moss as a growing medium. I had some shipped from Amazon, so I will start when it gets here. I get half price Amazon Prime since I have a food stamp card. I'll take pictures but it can take up to 3 months for them to germinate. I'll get to practice patience, lol. In the meantime, I might get some bare root plants to start with.

@DharmaGirl I got mine from Amazon as well for when I do plant them. It is pricey, yes? However, in the meantime I am growing compatible veggies in the oak barrel…waiting patiently.I will check out blueberry seeds however, great idea.

when I do plant them
Are you going to put them in the fridge before planting them? I didn't think about how pricey it was, lol. It IS pricey and I wouldn't have purchased it except for I have 5 packets of seeds and a challenge! I hope I can grow something.

It is so dry here that I can't seem to get a compost pile going. I throw stuff in but just let it sit for a year or so. My stepfather had a 10 x 12 compost pile that's 4 feet high. I can't ever seem to get it wet! I'm going to start composting in buckets since it will take so much less water. I saw a YouTube video where you layer stuff in buckets and just keep them damp. That seems more reasonable. I have to hook up a hose system so I can water trees pretty far from the house. I want to have a permaculture guild around my trees.

Does anyone do succulents? I have been buying and propagating them and it's working out well. If you live in a dry area, grow succulents. I make little succulent pots out of tuna cans, painting or decoupaging them. Our community has a sale where you can rent a space, so I want to have lots of these for next year. I will also sell eggs, feathers for crafts, dreamcatchers and maybe some of my furniture or jewelry cases that I've painted and decoupaged. My homesteading friends might want to share a space with me, I'll ask them. Almost everyone here gardens and has chickens, so unless I sell chicks or fertilized hatching eggs, it doesn't work. That's ok.

After giving away 36 chickens, I just hatched out 10 more and I have about 20 more eggs. Jeez, I just can't stop! Maybe I'll sell pullets at the vender fair too. Or I'll just make a 2 hour drive with the chicks and sell them that way.

I reread some posts and I see you already had the moss. Cool! I can't wait to get mine to start my berry projects! Fun stuff all year round! I'm starting flowers now to plant out front. I had beautiful flower gardens out front at my old house. I had no lawn, just gardens and pathways. I'm told the gardens are still there. I hope to do the same here.

Plant on fellow gardeners! Make the world as green as possible!

Nothing exceptional to brag about. However, I have had enough success to feel good. Several dozen cherry tomatoes are thinking about turning green : remembering patience🤨. Have harvested three salads and several sandwich toppings from lettuce + spinach plants topped with my herbs which seem to thrive best. Six Strawberries eaten promptly from 3 plants 😂. I listened to two different suggestions on the Strawberries and only one was right: learned lesson. Hard with partial shade.

Compost development slowed down until critters are maintained as it seemed to attract. Work on it in a bit: no rush really. Slowly getting into sync on body and watering minimal used to respect our drought. Tricky. Pondering a few more containers (and/or raised beds) and considering what is false sense of entitlement and what is really practical for maintaining optimal health via harvest with the rising prices of food and water here.

The companion method to deter nuisance insects seems to work relatively OK. Loose a few leaves here and there but have not needed to spray…so far. Could be they weren’t really hungry yet.😉

All in all…nothing compared to you all serious gardeners. But there is a deep satisfaction of seeing growth, produce and realizing incremental success. I joke with my Son that the Strawberries are Gourmet because so far they have been rare as well as expensive. But OMG the taste is so wonderful for real .

Happy gardening and thanks for the visits. 🤗

Silly you, you are a serious gardener, @Recovery4Me. I've only had one strawberry so far. You can't do much in a drought. We're hiring a landscape company to put in a circular driveway, clean out a bunch of brush and remove stone. They love to spray poisons. I don't like it but I can't see myself pulling an acre of weeds. Well, half an acre at least. I have to decide what I want to put in there. I planted a few Douglas Firs there, but we're looking at years before they block the wind. In the meantime, I want lots of flowers. I have to look at my list of things that grow here. I have several different Columbine seeds, I'll start with those.

@DharmaGirl I love Douglas Firs! It is hard sometimes to balance improvements with nature. About 15 years back on extensive miles of agricultural woodsy property that I nested within, hundreds of ancient 100 year old trees had to be cut down because of a pine beetle infestation due to climate change. Wood couldn’t even be sold to recoup expenditure to save the land. At least your Douglas Firs can be used perhaps with purpose: they do burn sappy and need to season and/ or make beautiful crisscrossed planters depending on size of trunk. Using a landscape liner makes it easier to be more artistic and not worry about the spaces between the rustic look.

But perhaps I have spent too long in the woods lol. Nice to read your post and what flowers are you considering?Right now my cilantro and strawberries are flowering 😂 The unseasonably heat wave made it bolt early so I am waiting for the seeds of the flowers to turn brown for colander and replanting down the road. My spinach bolted as well but was easier to keep at bay getting a few more leaves off those several plants.

It is an odd climate development and with the heat higher than our August weather, I am reviewing for reseeding another selection of vegetables for July starting date as a goal set. My bush beans are developing nicely but the weather is slightly problematic temps. Considering black eye peas in a spot where my dog can reach(as he can only fart himself afterwards as they not toxic. I have to fence off the tomatoes and lower containers as he eats everything lol. Anyway luv to all.

Today I got more potting soil, my blackberry and raspberry bushes, and 3 extra large planters. My son and I unloaded the 30 bags of soil and the planks for building the step for the barn, then loaded up the trash and recycling and went to the dump. Very yukky! Very tiring with my neck being out of whack. The guy next to me was throwing out containers that had old grain and maggots. EWWWWW.

I bought a seeded watermelon for the chickens and turkeys, who are ginormous even though they are only about 2 months old. They are already guarding the chickens, and puff themselves up to chase off Ravens and Hawks. They are named Colonel and Sargent. Sargent follows me around so closely that I shut her head in the gate by accident, not knowing she was there. She is fine, just hurt feelings. She eats out of my hand and is so sweet I could never even think of eating her.

I planted lupine, blazing stars, surghum, lilac, poppy, black eye susan, butterfly bush and 3 others I can't remember. I'm starting from seed so I'm hoping to plant them outside next year. We are hiring landscapers to clean out the beds and lay garden fabric down. They wanted 4,000 to put in a circular driveway of gravel, but that is too much. My mother doesn't want it 4,000 worth. She will just drive her car in the same circle and buy some gravel for us to spread.

I'm off to cut up the large watermelon for my followers. Hope you are all having a good gardening day!

Edited because I can't spell, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back