• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Has anyone grown dwarf fruit: favorite gardening plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Friday You do a lot with a small space! I wish you were near here so I could learn from you. Let us know if and when your space materializes as you seem a natural at this stuff.

I get tickled when you mentioned the range : my heart beats faster…remembering when I could see pre-Cataracs (working on that as Covid interfered too). I miss my sight for gaming for food. I saw this really cool device called bolo wrap and figured maybe I could use that on my garden varmints instead but it is not available for public use (and ‘they’ had a fit when I inquired).😂 I bet you would love seeing it in action on YouTube.😂

I miss many older aspects of resolution. Things change…I threw out my bound unabridged 1964 Britannia Dictionary, cut back my lovely ornamental plants, and planted another store bought hydro-lettuce (after usage) as they seem to have a better root system during the drought. I decided to be at peace with what I could do, to forego as a Bench Mark Indicator my passé ways and handing the baton to the younger generation of gardeners as well as food hunters. I will enjoy what I can grow as less is sometimes more. Take care.

@Recovery4Me, I had my cataracts removed a couple of years ago. It was horrible before. I could barely see to drive! Now they are much better! Can you get yours removed. I applied at the hospital for their charity care, and I didn't have to pay anything after Medicare.

It was a balmy 80 degrees today and instead of doing everything I had put off, I slept all day. I was so exhausted! Most of my plants made it through the heat but a couple died.

they now make solar dampening shade cloths that block the UV or are UV resistant
I had three of these but one ripped in the high winds. Now I shade one half of the babies pen and switch it out at around 1pm so they always have a shaded area. The other is over another pen so the hens can enjoy the shade. I got the round sprinkler thing that holds water in the middle. The turkeys love it and stand in the water under the fountains. Several chickens enjoy standing in it too. When it is not fountaining water, the turkeys try to stand in the water containers and end up knocking them over. I'm still tired so I'm off to bed again. Goodnight all.

Hello again all. How are the gardens going? The fruit trees?

In the past few days I've planted a bunch of tomato and pepper plants, some squash that I lost the names for so they could be any winter squash, and some of the willow hedge. The willow hedge didn't make the transition into the bright, hot sun so well. My bare roots are still soaking but I think I will plant them today or tomorrow. I might need more fencing to keep my fowl off the trees. I want them to provide shade in the chicken area.

I have to build steps up to the barn before it's time to get it inspected. The contractor we used for putting in the concrete anchors but them out of the ground instead of level, so the barn is off the ground. We bought a ramp for it but you can't close the doors if the ramp is on and they want a permanent structure. I wish the contractor who made the mistake would build them, to make up for his mistake, but he would charge too much. He charges twice what I'm used to, and uses YouTube to figure out how to do things. I could do that myself and save the money.

I'm now planting perennial seeds inside to get ready to be planted out front when the landscaper is done. I have to incorporate the trees that are growing out there into my plan, then add the plants. I wanted to make a windbreak but I think I'm going to put a willow hedge closest to the street, then add my cottage garden. I'll keep the berries in large pots so they don't spread. I also have pavers for a path through, and I'll look for benches and bird feeders at the ReStore.

@DharmaGirl …Sounds like you are bustling for all kinds of needed fixes and plans! So cool. I am surprised you can’t engage legal action against the contractor as it seemed he messed up. I make mine comeback lol. They do rather not like me for it lol.

I haven’t even considered planting newer fruit trees due to the drought and water restrictions. Hopefully in a few years that will change.🙄 My garden was pretty well ransacked by voles, rats and such -so I lost several beds of food and was moping for a small bit.😜 But I gathered two fresh Strawberries, and a few tomatoes with tarragon for breakfast. 💪🏼

So I ordered some traps- which the clever rascals tripped. However, my boxed rat trap with shhhhh….poison that stays on a spindle inside the box arrived.👩🏼‍🌾 And yes, I do feel conflicted due to the environment but I feel equally conflicted over loosing my food source just as my food stamps dropped off. A small bag of fresh string beans in my area is over 5 dollars for example…so the critters must go. I told my neighbors (so they didn’t let their dog catch the slower moving rodents) and will place it in the back fenced off part of the yard for safety which I weed whacked earlier. Mainly their run is in the front but I can’t chance it with my dog. * I am praying heavily for Australia which has a major concern with mice as well at this time.* So world events do put my little concern in perspective. In September if I get the population of critters down enough…I will plant things again. It is hard because I live in a country burb like development and everyone is trying to grow. So they dine and go to the next one.

Thanks by the way for sharing your eye surgery story! I’m trying to get the Jensen shot beforehand as we have a variant Covid that is now progressing in leaps and bounds in my State. So I just wanted to be safer before I walked into the hospital or office situation. Previously they had cancelled elective surgery. It is now reopened.

Anyhow let me know about your barn and such….someone has got to be a champion here!🤗

Two feral cats adopted us so the rodents are pretty scarce. They are great hunters. The dogs keep the larger predators away and now the turkeys. I'm planning on moving the turkeys and silver laced chocolate orpingtons out to the back as soon as I empty the tuff shed and make a coop out of it. I have to add a door on the back since it is large enough to split into two coops. So much to do!!

Today I'm making the 40 mile trip to Home Depot to get shade cloth and posts. I will also go to a real grocery store when I'm there. I hope they have a lot of discount plants for sale!

The contractor I was using is a town favorite. He is known by everyone so I don't want to make waves. I've barked at him twice already so he hasn't been talking to me lately. I haven't been on facebook either.

Good morning, all. I'm a little further in my garden journey of learning to garden in this arid area. My cabbages and potatoes are doing well, as are green beans, but everything else is growing slowly.

The landscapers came and cleared the gardens so now I wait 2 weeks and can reseed and plant. I have some bulbs coming and my berry bushes are doing well. I think my Columbine seeds were a little too old since none are sprouting, so I bought more. I brought some with me but planted them last year. I have to set up sprinklers for the front 3 gardens, and plant a large lilac bush. So much to do. I planted some bare root trees, nothing has happened but I think it can take a long time. Does anyone know how long it takes to see some growth?

I'm planting sorghum outside, hopefully today. There's only so much I can do before my body is done. How's every one else's gardens going?

My current batch of sprouts was descended upon by a plague of pterodactyls & locusts!!! AKA itty bitty bugs of unknown origin. C’est la vie. Upside about sprouts, they don’t take that long for a new batch 😉

Still waiting patiently for the bare roots, lol. Last year one of my bare roots didn't leaf until spring after being in the ground about 8 months. I'll set my sights on spring and just keep watering.

I finally got the cover on the greenhouse, it is gigantic. It's a geodesic dome, 18ft (5.5 meters) tall and from side to side. It's a marine poly cover, very heavy, and we put it on one day and it blew off in the breeze. Yesterday we got up super early and pulled the bottom through the frame and it stayed on. We have to seal it with a propane torch after the fire hazard is over. It is 103 F, 39.5 C for the next few days and you can't even go in it because it's so hot. I'll have to buy a shade cover for the summers. It will certainly be wonderful for the winters.

I'll set my sights on spring and just keep watering.

Sounds like a scorching summer you are having there.

Even the trees that came in pots didn't show much activity for 18 months. The first year was a hellish summer for me too and I think they needed that time to send out their roots and establish. My mandarin has just given me it's first crop of fruit - after three years and me being very exasperated with it.

I wish I could plant something. Perhaps I can. I remember having planted tuberose in pots in this time of the year. They aren't very pretty at first but once they are born they are very beautiful and the smell is just astounding and strong, especially at night. I think I might do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back