• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Has Anyone Tried Alternatives To Anti-depressants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alternative eh, how about a big turkey dinner with stuffing, green beans, mashed potatoes & gravy, potato salad, bananna pudding (with marange), those little powdered cookies with almonds, homemade chocolate chip cookies from scratch (not the store dough kind that you just slice and put in the oven), and a chocolate & vanilla marbled cake with marshmellow frosting on top and a big scoop of ice cream on the side.

If you come away from that dinner feeling anything other than stuffed and happy, you are incurable. Drug it up! There is the problem of finding someone to cook & bake all that for you. :whistling:

(Forgive me. I haven't had a properly cooked dinner in ages and it sounds really good right now. All I have in my kitchen is a box of noodles and a box of cereal, (no milk).)

Alternative eh, how about a big turkey dinner with stuffing, green beans, mashed potatoes & gravy, potato salad, bananna pudding (with marange), those little powdered cookies with almonds, homemade chocolate chip cookies from scratch (not the store dough kind that you just slice and put in the oven), and a chocolate & vanilla marbled cake with marshmellow frosting on top and a big scoop of ice cream on the side.

Ohhh....Throw some whipped cream on the marbled cake and that sounds like heaven to me!

I haven't had a good dinner either, lol....unless donuts and wine counts, lol.

I just love this site...so many people talking about things I really didn't think anyone else understood...

Wish I had more time...

You cant live a positive life with a negative mind...

My alternatives to antidepressants have been shopping...food...exec rcise (especially if I'm angry)...drawing...talking to friends...and of course donuts and wine :)

They totally count! (and count and count and count):p

mmmm.JPG

Silentnight: I'm glad to see you are enjoying the site! There is definitely a lot of conversations that are informative...and funny!

712: LOL!!! You have no idea how much I needed to laugh today!

I too was taking St Johns wart although it did not have much of effect. My acupuncturist gave me
Bupleurum D Formula about 3 weeks ago. It seems to have made a significant difference to my depression and anxiety. I can only hope after so many fails with meds that this will continue to help me.

Good Luck

it is so hard for me to get myself going on an exercise regime just for the sake of exercise. I was swimming twice a week but I couldn't reschedule when they changed the times. I bought a home gym but I am typical in that I walk past it 25 times for every time I use it.

My answer has been setting full days aside and devoting them to yardwork or detailing a car or painting a shed or splitting wood (and cutting trees and stacking all of that split wood).

I did some volunteer work with a program we have here in the states called Habitat for humanity, a program where volunteers and future home owners work together building a home from the ground up, with alot of donated materials and salvaged fixtures with the end goal being an inexpensive home for someone that helped build it. That was great exercise and I looked forward to getting on the job as the project progressed.

Could you find something like that? Not just exercise, but rewarding and important work? We have local groups that do park clean ups, invasive species removal, river watch, and there are lots of opportunities for walking for a cause like breast cancer or other causes.

Unless you are able to make up your mind to do the exercise no matter what, maybe you can find some activity that makes a differance AND gives you a work out.

OK, here is a really odd suggestion, have you checked your Vitamin D level? (No, not the Doughnut level, though that shows some interesting promise too) Here is a link about it:

[DLMURL]http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/health-conditions/mental-health-and-learning-disorders/depression/vitamin-d-levels/[/DLMURL]

My Psychiatrist seems to think this has merit and I have orders to get mine tested. I am skeptical, but it is an easy thing to remedy.

I was given samples of a non med called deplin, it is really just a delivery medium for high doses of folic acid but it is spendy and since it is not a med, not covered bt my insurance. I tried it but was told not to expect alot because I was going through a very tough time and my mood was pretty stable already (clenched fists, tight jaw and a mean face even in my sleep). I haven't run out and bought any more deplin, but maybe take a look at folic acid, who knows- it might work for you.

OK, here is a really odd suggestion, have you checked your Vitamin D level? . . .
My Psychiatrist seems to think this has merit and I have orders to get mine tested. I am skeptical, but it is an easy thing to remedy.
I think there are a number of studies and evidence regarding low vitamin D levels, and depression. My GP suggested getting my Vit-D levels checked, and it was way too low, and I've been taking Vitamin D supplements ever since.

However, I have had my levels re-checked (after maybe 10 months of taking the supplements), and my levels are still just as low as they were before I took the supplements. So, I'm not convinced that it's an easy thing to remedy, however it's got to be worth looking in to.

...and my levels are still just as low as they were before I took the supplements. So, I'm not convinced that it's an easy thing to remedy, however it's got to be worth looking in to.
Thanks cherryblossom. I was puzzled by what I was reading. My Dr. recommended 4,000 to 5,000 i.u.'s of Vitamin D 3 if the results were low. That is way too much from what I researched. The Mayo Clinic recommends 2,000 I.U.'s as the upper limit. So, something must be inhibiting absorption or we process Vitamin D out of our systems much more rapidly. Maybe both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back