• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll How Many Of Us Are Armed?

Are you armed?

• Yes, 24/7.

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Yes, but it's not relevant to trauma

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Sometimes.

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Only at home or i keep something under my bed

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • No, I don't own anything for protection

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • No, I'm against owning weapons.

Votes: 10 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In mythology and mainstream religion, a flash of light a thunder clap and a man falls dead. That was god at work.

Who dares to take on the powers of a god? Who has such wisdom and knowledge?

Apart from situations like dhimitude, or the bondage of Blacks in America, almost all places at all times, have recognized a right to proportionate individual self defense, up to and including lethal force.

It's recognised by most Christian churches.

The old testament "eye for an eye" doesn't suggest that it should be done, but sets a limited to proportionality, go beyond that proportionality, and you become an aggressor.

Who dares to take on the powers of a god? Who has such wisdom and knowledge?

You touch on the great political superstition

No one currently believes that a monarch or a parliament has "Divine right" or is a demigod

But the assumption that there are no limits on the actions of parliament's (for example allowing them to declare war, and to license the killing of thousands of people)
Implicitly hark back to the old assumption of divine warrant

Sometimes when I am out late at night walking the streets I will carry a knife.

At home, I have an aluminum baseball bat, a hatchet, a butcher knife, 4 hammers of differing types, a sword, a large dagger, A small dagger, and a pair of nun chucks.....but I do not own a gun.

I would prefer to have a stun gun and some pepper spray at the ready, just in case.

I do usually have a knife of some sort in my purse, but it's just because it's handy.

At home, I have an aluminum baseball bat. I use it occasionally to make noise to scare off people thinking that they found a quiet place to do drugs. I guess my bow would count, but I don't really consider it to be an effective weapon.

I don't own a gun. I did carry a knife when I was younger and living in a more dangerous place. I have considered how car keys can be a self-defense weapon in a pinch. I keep a long two-pronged garden tool next to my bed and have rehearsed using it if need be in my mind. Just pray I never have to.

I have a good pocket knife at home, but I'm no longer allowed to own a gun because I was 302ed and 303ed (extended involuntary hospitalization) into a mental hospital (which had nothing to do with any weapons, but that doesn't matter). I was and am very upset about not being able to buy a gun anymore, but I think there are some loopholes if I were to travel to another state. And maybe soon it'll be even easier due to the current political regime...

Guns are generally illegal in my country, and permits are hard to come by. If it were allowed, though, I still wouldn't want one.
I do have 2 field hockey sticks. I have them just to play, but it's nice to have them in the house just in case. One of my neighbours is very creepy and really freaked me out one time, so I slept with my heavier stick next to my bed for a few weeks. Helped me feel a bit safer.

I have a small baseball bat. I have kitchen knives too, but I don't know if I would think to get them, in some kind of emergency. Now that you have mentioned it, I might be more inclined to!

I found a telescopic steel batton over a year ago. I've been cleaning it up recently. According to a retired cop, the British cops were only supposed to strike the outside of either the upper arm or thigh with steel battons. I can see why!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back