• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Hypervigilance triggered while walking dogs

G

Hello,
I'm not currently a member but I have diagnosed PTSD. I really want to adopt another dog. However, in the past I've had issues with walking dogs resulting in increased hypervigilance symptoms. I live in a semi-urban area and all the sensory input is very difficult to navigate when I'm not feel totally grounded and rested. Add to that a dog who is unpredictable by its very nature and it is leaving me wondering if I am capable of dog ownership. It completely guts me to think that I can't. My dogs are my family members and provide so many wonderful mental and physical health benefits, but at the same time I struggle with this one very big aspect of dog ownership. Can anyone relate? Any suggestions or insights would be most appreciated.

The abolsure best way I ELIMINATE triggers & stressors? Is solo. On my own time.

But managing them, with others, is mostly about practice & the ability to ignore what I know is total bullshit.

Which equals? If I wanted to be out and about with _____ (my dogs)____? It would be a 2 step process. 1 where I’m on my own and working on blunting/eliminating the trigger/stressor; & 2 where I’m simply sucking it up, and dealing with the consequences.

fanatic alert. . .
i swear by animal therapy. i'm a multi-species animal therapy patient and can't decide which animals are my favorite therapists. my newest experiments are with donkeys. that would be my first ass's eye you see in my avi pict. his name is "donkey odie."

in my own case, the hypervigilance triggers i encountered with my dog were, in the balance, equally present when walking solo. the dog added stressors like a dog's instinct to chase squirrels and other dogs, but the dog helped me feel MUCH safer from human attacks. stretching my hypervigilant comfort zone far enough to walk my dog made the dog available to help me learn how to manage the crippling side-effects of those triggers.

but that is me and every case is unique.
steadying support while you decide what is right for you.

Thanks @arfie, I will have to consider whether my hypervigilance is the same with or without dog. But I think the difference is without a dog, I can flee if I need to. Also the last few dogs I've walked have not been easy dogs and they exponentially increased my stressors. I'm very aware of the benefits of animal therapy and I want nothing more than the comfort and joy and companionship that a dog would bring me. But I worry that my current living situation and environment may not be conducive while I still struggle with managing the hypervigiliance

Random movement or lots of random movement over time bothers me. I can watch about 10 minutes of hockey a day BUT football or rugby all day no problem.

Tracking the movement of random objects over time can set off hyper stuff for me.

But I worry that my current living situation and environment may not be conducive while I still struggle with managing the hypervigiliance
Do you know anyone who owns a dog that you could ask to look after for a week? Alternatively, offer to foster a dog for a nearby shelter (win/win).

Very often, folks with ptsd find that their hypervigilence reduces when they have a dog, but it would be good to know if you’ll be in that group before taking on a lifelong commitment.

Maybe try finding someone with a little dog to try walking. At least that way if you feel the need to flee you can grab the puppers and flee. The benefits of a pocket pet. :). Bonus if that helps and you want a little dog they can be super cuddly. Not mine mind you but every little dog I ever had growing up was a cuddle bug.

Thanks so much for the replies. I can relate @Freddyt with the tracking of movements setting off the hyper arousal.

@Sideways I have actually fostered dogs, and I had issues walking them. However, they were not easy dogs to walk, a lot of behavioral issues. When I'm at home they help ground me, when I'm outside they can bring me into the present moment but they can also add to my hypervigilance stressors if they are freezing or fighting and I'm in total sensory overload.

@Charbella I was also thinking about a small breed dog. Most of my experience is with larger dogs, but I could ask my friend if I could walk her little dog and see how it feels.

I was trying to find some articles that addressed this topic, but conversely, all I have located is research which supports the benefits of dogs (for people coping with PTSD). It makes me feel very alone. Are there dog owners on here who live in urban-ish environments who deal with hyper vigilance symptoms?

Thanks so much for the replies. I can relate @Freddyt with the tracking of movements setting off the hyper arousal.

@Sideways I have actually fostered dogs, and I had issues walking them. However, they were not easy dogs to walk, a lot of behavioral issues. When I'm at home they help ground me, when I'm outside they can bring me into the present moment but they can also add to my hypervigilance stressors if they are freezing or fighting and I'm in total sensory overload.

@Charbella I was also thinking about a small breed dog. Most of my experience is with larger dogs, but I could ask my friend if I could walk her little dog and see how it feels.

I was trying to find some articles that addressed this topic, but conversely, all I have located is research which supports the benefits of dogs (for people coping with PTSD). It makes me feel very alone. Are there dog owners on here who live in urban-ish environments who deal with hyper vigilance symptoms?
maybe ask one of the AIs I’ve found they can be helpful finding what I cannot.

I'm outside they can bring me into the present moment but they can also add to my hypervigilance stressors if they are freezing or fighting and I'm in total sensory overload.
Yeah, walking a dog with behavioural issues is very often extremely stressful. Even for folks without pathology!!

It may be an option to adopt a pup that you know is rock solid super friendly. That’s going to be at least 18 months old (past its last major fear period). Shelters will sometimes be able to steer you in the right direction with that. And foster-to-adopt programs can be another way to go - it may be worth having that conversation with your local shelter, and letting them know you’re interested in foster-to-adopt with a smaller, socially outgoing dog. Its a way to potentially give you a bit of a trial run.

I’d probably steer clear of adopting a young puppy, because they will learn from you that the outside world is an anxious place to be.

I know some folks who have gone the other direction entirely - adopting the scariest looking dog available. Because that will make most people feel pretty safe!! But it can be stressful to walk an intimidating dog for all different reasons, and it tends to become a social handicap.

Thank you so much @Sideways. That's very good insight about puppy/fear phase. I wouldn't want to cause any socialization issues for a young pup, and I don't want a puppy anyway. I'm hoping I can find a good match with a dog already in foster, so I will know more info about them. The problem is the small and well socialized dogs are not to be found at the shelters around here, or if they do they fly out of the kennels, so to speak.

Hey there, I recently was gifted a Labrador, and like you, thought it would help me with various aspects of my life. She is a beautiful dog that I train frequently, who subsequently behaves very well when out, but sadly arrived very anxious/hypervigilant herself.. I was unsure if I had PTSD, however she has confirmed that I do.. My hypervigilance is greatly worsened when out on walks (even though we live in a rural area and she behaves) and recently I have found myself emotional on walks to the point where I have to go home.. I would agree with the others that a smaller dog may be the best choice (as my large, very powerful dog, when reactive, is enough to paralyse me/cause me to panic..) and be extremely thorough with the rescue centre - anxious, very fearful dogs, that have very little life exposure, in my experience, would only reinforce and worsen your hypervigilance/anxiety.. You could however train the dog in agility/scent work to lessen the daily walks? Slightly avoidant I know, but I am sure the dog would love it! I hope you are able to find a dog that was once in a loving home, you are welcome to ask me anything if this has been at all helpful!

Back