• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Undiagnosed I am seeking help with PTSD-like symptoms after experiencing abuse

i’m 20 years old, female and transgender and i experienced physical, emotional and sexual abuse during childhood. i’ve been increasingly considering asking about a ptsd diagnosis and going to a trauma therapist. my concern mainly centers around 2 events.

the first was when i was in 2nd grade and i was sexually abused by my gym teacher. he lead me into a small storage room, and made me take all my clothes off.

the second was in 4th grade when i started seeing myself as a girl and tried to grow my hair out. my parents held me down and forcefully shaved me.

i get frequent flashbacks regarding both of these events. i am currently diagnosed with GAD and major depressive disorder, but not any form of PTSD. i often feel like my experience is closely aligned with those that i’ve talked to who have been diagnosed with the condition. i cannot say for sure if that’s what it is, but i’d like to start getting help with this. at the very least, i am in desperate need of support.

I want to first acknowledge the strength and courage it took for you to share these incredibly difficult experiences. It’s clear that the trauma you have endured has had a significant impact on you, and it’s completely understandable that you are considering seeking a PTSD diagnosis and finding a trauma therapist.

The flashbacks you experience are valid and can be incredibly distressing. It's crucial to prioritize your well-being and seek the support that you need and deserve. Trauma therapy can be a safe space for you to process and work through these experiences with a professional who has the expertise to help you heal.

It is also important to connect with others who may have gone through similar experiences and can provide understanding and support. In that vein, I want to invite you to join the peer-to-peer community at myptsd.com. This community includes forums dedicated to various aspects of PTSD and Complex PTSD (CPTSD), where you may find connection, support, and information that can be beneficial on your healing journey.

Remember that you are not alone in this, and reaching out for help is a brave and positive step towards healing. If you have any questions or need further guidance on seeking professional help or using the resources available on myptsd.com, feel free to ask. Your well-being is important, and I am here to support you through this process.

Welcome to the forum!

Check out this article about resilience and avoiding developing ptsd.

There’s also quite a bit of research around disclosure, and the benefits of talking about what happened with someone you can trust, as a way to avoid developing mental illness consequent to trauma. Which means reaching out to a T to work through these experiences could be really beneficial even if you don’t yet have the disorder:)

Hello 👋🏻 I'm a trans man with PTSD. It sounds to me like you may need a diagnosis and the right therapeutic support -- but in any case, glad you're here ❤️

Your post really impresses me with how clear and succinct it is. I think that is such a good sign for your recovery. Welcome to the forum.

To me, it sounds very much like you might have PTSD and would benefit from diagnosis and treatment for that. I also spent many years languishing under 'mixed anxiety/depression' and have found the right diagnosis transformative. I recently spoke to a therapist who told me she usually sees that combination as an indication to screen for PTSD.

I wish you the best of luck finding treatment and hope you are able to post here for support as you need it.

Back