• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I want to cook more. Looking for Suggestions

I like food. I have limited cooking experiecne, and am looking for recipes I should try.
It will keep me busy, and make it so I can make more than the few things I can cook.

I like most food and I mean that. I also like most flavours. Spicy and strong tasting food I like. The tastes I don't like are very sweet or very creamy. The textures I don't like are coleslaw, porridge/oatmeal, and meat gelatin after cooked meats go cold in the dish. Things like that. Some pasta I don't like the feel of, but I will try pasta dishes too.

Don't worry about it being "weird" I will want to try it as long as I can get the ingredients (and follow the recipe). I like new foods.

A a couple of very easy pasta meals are:

1) pasta with tuna, mayonnaise and sweetcorn.

2) pasta with pesto, black olives, and tomatoes 🍅, maybe a little grated cheese 🧀.

3) One pot / Slow cooker meals are great if you can buy one and get a book of slow cooker recipes, (they often come with one), if not...Amazon!

4) steak with Hash browns, brocoli and fried mushrooms, peppers and onion. Peppercorn sauce!! Mmmm tasty!!!

I like food. I have limited cooking experiecne, and am looking for recipes I should try.
It will keep me busy, and make it so I can make more than the few things I can cook.

I like most food and I mean that. I also like most flavours. Spicy and strong tasting food I like. The tastes I don't like are very sweet or very creamy. The textures I don't like are coleslaw, porridge/oatmeal, and meat gelatin after cooked meats go cold in the dish. Things like that. Some pasta I don't like the feel of, but I will try pasta dishes too.

Don't worry about it being "weird" I will want to try it as long as I can get the ingredients (and follow the recipe). I like new foods.
If you have one or are interested in making an account, Pinterest is a great way to find recipes for food you find appealing. I’m on there practically everyday looking at things I like. Most of the time, the recipes are attached so you can quickly find something you like and make it if you already have the ingredients.

The Silver Spoon. (Phaedon)

It’s the Italian BIBLE of cooking. Most recipes are fewer than 5 ingredients. Over 1200 pages. Most with 2-3 recipes per page.

Way back when? The English translation was $200. These days it’s only $30-$50.

EVERY recipe I’ve used (maybe about 1,000? Sp about 1/3 of the book) has been “sellable” aka amazing enough you could charge for it, in a restaurant. It’s. Just. That. Good. My hands down favorite cookbook, ever.

Recipe Tin Eats is probably my favorite food blogger.

Yotem Ottolenghi & Thomas Keller are my fave professional / published chefs. Brilliant books, but also some skill needed. GREAT senses of humor.

I’m currently in a Caribbean kick, LOVE creole / blended culture cooking, but I haven’t found a great go-to-source, yet. So I’m winging it, tabbing around in google in 3 languages& a bit of pidgin. Standard/Reliable western sources? SUCK for the carribe. Some French & Spanish sources are better, but I reeeeally don’t have anyone to knee jerk towards.

^^^
I used to have a weekly potluck at my house for around a decade (and we tended to pick themes. Silly (like food wrapped in other food, round food, etc.) or wild wide variety like sandwiches, soups, etc. Pick a theme. Have some fun. It’s food. We eat it, rather than save it posterity.

Last edited:
The Silver Spoon. (Phaedon)

It’s the Italian BIBLE of cooking. Most recipes are fewer than 5 ingredients. Over 1200 pages. Most with 2-3 recipes per page.

Way back when? The English translation was $200. These days it’s only $30-$50.

EVERY recipe I’ve used (maybe about 1,000? Sp about 1/3 of the book) has been “sellable” aka amazing enough you could charge for it, in a restaurant. It’s. Just. That. Good. My hands down favorite cookbook, ever.

Recipe Tin Eats is probably my favorite food blogger.

Yotem Ottolenghi & Thomas Keller are my fave professional / published chefs. Brilliant books, but also some skill needed. GREAT senses of humor.

I’m currently in a Caribbean kick, LOVE creole / blended culture cooking, but I haven’t found a great go-to-source, yet. So I’m winging it, tabbing around in google in 3 languages& a bit of pidgin. Standard/Reliable western sources? SUCK for the carribe. Some French & Spanish sources are better, but I reeeeally don’t have anyone to knee jerk towards.

^^^
I used to have a weekly potluck at my house for around a decade (and we tended to pick themes. Silly (like food wrapped in other food, round food, etc.) or wild wide variety like sandwiches, soups, etc. Pick a theme. Have some fun. It’s food. We eat it, rather than save it posterity.
Thank you, I appreciate all the suggestions. I’ll tell you when I try any

Back